Halfords "bikes" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Halfords Employee Reviews about "bikes"

Updated 3 Jan 2020

3.3
Halfords Chief Executive Officer Graham Stapleton
Graham Stapleton
Pros
  • "Getting to go through the back, listen to your own music and build bikes is great(in 32 reviews)

• "you do get staff discount which is nice and you do get discounts on other sites(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "No progression for part time staff(in 20 reviews)

• "Low pay and not enough workshops(in 19 reviews)

Reviews about "bikes"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Bikehut staff Dublin store"

Former Employee - Bikehut Staff in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Halfords part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of my work colleagues were nice people to work with, staff discounts, time and a half on Sundays.

Cons

Really, terrible management, one in particular. Completely controlling, narcisstic and terrible approach to the staff in that store. Left me feeling frustrated and demoralised after working with him. Also, the heater rarely worked in that store. Try building bikes in a warehouse out the back in below zero temperatures!!

Advice to Management

Whether or not you achieve your targets, you do so with massive negative effects on the employees. I'm talking over 20 staff members leaving this particular store over just a few months. Says it all really, I've never worked for a company that treats it's staff so badly, and dare we speak out as employees with rights? The ones that do are never taken seriously. Management protecting other managers and couldn't give a flying toss about the rest of the employees.

Halfords2018-03-12
  2. "Full Time"

Current Employee - Bikehut

I have been working at Halfords full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Holidays are very good. Colleagues begin to feel like family. Customers can be great as they generally come for the service and you can really bond with them. The 'People Team' are fantastic and Area Managers are amazing at what they do (very caring people). Progression is there if you want to put in the effort. They are VERY clear about "promoting within" rather than just hiring a random manager from Smyths or Woodies (etc,) which is amazing!!! Unfortunately the cons weigh out the pros. As much as I enjoy my work it is just too underpaid and stressful.

Cons

Utterly understaffed. Hours have gotten ridiculously cut and as a result everyone is effected and workload has nearly doubled. The pay is terrible for the work that you do (I'll talk about this later). They hire 'kids' that are just far too young and this leads to having very inexperienced, uneducated, unreliable, immature and generally 'not bothered' colleges. The pressure on VAS is intense and overly stressful - as an example: EVERY SALE you are expected to, 1) Sell the bike, 2) Sell accessories, 3) Sell the Slime Service, 4) Push Maintenance Package sale, 5) Get eMail for e receipt and, 6) Ask for a responses on the survey website... ALL these things NEED to be pushed consistantly in order to maintain hours in store and it is asking FAR too much of the colleagues every day. I love Halfords and I love my team but the workload is overbearing and pay is ridiculously low. I am full-time, I am on the same pay as some of the part-time colleagues and my role includes opening/closing the store, counting tills, handling complaints, managing a team and delegating jobs, driving sales, giving sales talks amongst team and always knowing targets and figures if quizzed, deliveries, stock management, training and monitoring new colleagues, handling any system errors, returns (over €50), auditing forms, sorting lunches as well as all the other jobs that is required such as building bikes, doing repairs, upselling and pushing VAS and maintaining store appearance... ALL of this is to be done (I REPEAT) on the same pay as some of the part-time colleagues... The pay is dreadful!

Advice to Management

In-store Managment? Keep up the good work, you work hard and deserve better! HR and CEO's? You are taking the hard workers in store for granted and are harshly underpaying them for the workload you pile on them. It is not fair.

Halfords2016-11-18
  3. "bike hut"

I have been working at Halfords part-time for more than a year

Pros

the only reason i still work there is my colleagues,they really are great.i love bikes but the training is hit and miss

Cons

the work is v tough and the pay is bad

Advice to Management

more pay and better conditions

Halfords2015-12-10
  4. "Overall I would recommend working here if you manage to get into a store with good management."

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Halfords part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting to go through the back, listen to your own music and build bikes is great. The pay is alright after completing the gears training, if the staff in your shop are 'sound' then it should be pretty enjoyable.

Cons

Zero room for progression unless you're willing to travel 100 miles to work in another store. They're stingy with their labour budgets.

Advice to Management

Put more people on when you expect it to be busy, not just when you're working.

Halfords2020-01-03
  5. "A job with rewarding moments"

Former Employee - Cycle Mechanic in Selby, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Halfords part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fixing bikes and making customers smile. Some autonomy with handling workload for repairs.

Cons

Heavily target-driven. Some customers expected you to perform miracles with your spanners at minimum cost.

Halfords2019-09-12
  6. "Only good for university students"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Hendon, England

I worked at Halfords part-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn alot about bikes and maintenance

Cons

dead end job with no career progression after manager role.

Advice to Management

employ sensible people who are determined and not those who simply apply first which is what seems to happen.

Halfords2019-09-01
  7. "Good structured Progression"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Bristol, England

I worked at Halfords part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has strongly structured progression with the 'Gears' program for its Bike Colleagues.

Cons

Busy stores can mean hard work but this should be expected in all retail jobs.

Halfords2019-08-14
  8. "Not great for girls"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate Bike Hut

I worked at Halfords part-time for less than a year

Pros

The manager was really nice, however he had to watch over 2 floors so spent most his time downstairs so I didn't see him much.

Cons

I was the only girl working at halfords and the boys I worked with were all young teenagers (16-17), and so didn't even introduce them self to me and were annoyed by me asking for their help. My first 3 shifts were over a busy bank holiday weekend and I was given nothing to do and no one to shadow so I walked around the shop aimlessly whilst customers spoke to me like I was stupid because I didn't know all the ansaws to there questions ( which were mainly about bike parts ). I would repeatably ask if I can be shown to use the till, or is there something else I could do but would be shrugged off with "go around and see if anyone needs help" which was stupid as I was new and didn't no anything, I also wasn't yet given a uniform or name badge so customers would look past me half the time anyways. To be honest I got out as quickly as I could and left after 4 ish days as on the last day it was extremly busy and a customer asked me to get a bike out for them (the bikes are tangled in wires which are attached to alarms ), so I asked one of the boys for the keys and asked him which key is it and how do I do it, to which he replied " you put the key in and turn in" in a patronizing voice and walked off. there was around 15 ish keys that where all the same, I tried one and set the whole alarm off and no one came to help until one of the older guys working there sorted it for me whilst I held back the urge to just walk out. P.S I know working with most boys is fine, this was just not a great bunch, in the my last job it was all boys slightly older then me (im 19) and they were great. You may also have a very positive experience working here as I was really looking forward to learning about bike building and maintainence as I go mountain biking a lot, and i've also been to different halfords as a customer and seen loads of women working there. Dont be complelty put off from this, I just had a particularly bad experience.

Advice to Management

give new starters someone to shadow for the first week, or a specific task like the tills whilst there settling in. also dont hire one girl in a shop full of immature boys to fill some kind of equality quota.

Halfords2019-07-11
  9. "Team morale vs faceless managers"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bristol, England

I have been working at Halfords full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The team is always willing to support each other and make work and enjoyable place. Pay is reasonable per hour for retail. Colleague benefits, including a discount on in-store products and a benefits portal available. Ability to progress through store hierarchy.

Cons

There is always insane pressure to hit KPIs, more so than they're ever used to be. No care for the environmental impact shipping everything in plastic causes. Lots of hidden expectations, eg working unpaid overtime to ensure that customers bikes/cars can be completed often with little notice. Higher management seems invisible and uninterested in how colleagues are feeling about the company. Limited options to move away from a shop facing roles into head office roles.

Halfords2019-05-21
  10. "Bike Hut"

I worked at Halfords part-time

Pros

Enjoyed building and repairing bikes

Cons

When you're working alone and it gets busy can take a while to get bikes built because you have to stop what you're doing to go and ask customers if they need help.

Halfords2019-03-26