Grant Thornton Ireland Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Grant Thornton Ireland Reviews

Updated 8 Jan 2020

3.1
Grant Thornton Ireland National Managing Partner Michael McAteer (no image)
Michael McAteer
Pros
Cons
  • "Unrealistic workloads and deadlines long hours poor pay(in 11 reviews)

• "No work life balance, salary lower than market rate(in 7 reviews)

1. "Very enjoyable"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly staff, made some real friends for life. Staff from graduate level to Partner level have good relationships with each-other. There is a good few extremely talented people working in the team. Sad to have left

Cons

Occasionally clients can be frustrating however the contract manager from GT assisted in any problems.

Grant Thornton Ireland2019-12-04
  2. "Assistant Manager"

I have been working at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Remote working. Good Pension. Good working atmosphere

Cons

Annual leave only increases with promotion not seniority

Grant Thornton Ireland2020-01-08

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office with a good location in Dublin

Cons

Please read the other negative reviews, they are accurate. Do not be fooled by the nice building and friendly interview, that is completely false. None existing leadership, woeful communication and the worse atmosphere you could wish to work in. Some friendly people in the firm. Unfortunately, this is overshadowed by senior staff and partners who are too high ego to even say 'Hello'. Some of the most awfully mannered people I have ever met. Staff leave on a weekly basis, the firm has no care for your health or wellbeing. Poor social events with budgets that a corner shop would stretch further on. Do yourself and favor and keep looking elsewhere!!

Advice to Management

Where do I start....... maybe some basic training on manners would go far...... too much to type here.

Grant Thornton Ireland2020-01-08
  4. "GT Dublin"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good busy and executives are easy to work with.

Cons

Limited client portfolios, fast paced audits

Advice to Management

Innovate at par with Big 4s

Grant Thornton Ireland2019-11-20

"Lost it’s way - poor culture and high staff attrition"

Former Employee - Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Will progress quickly because of the high turnover of staff.

Cons

Consulting partners have no experience of delivery, a lack of leadership qualities and have lost touch of the mood on the floor. Approach is to body-shop consultants out to any available roles regardless of the seniority or nature of the role. Could be in a dead end, junior role for 2 years before they consider making changes. Aggressive PA who is probably more important than senior management and is a significant decision maker when it comes to promotions. Very high turnover of good staff.

Advice to Management

New HR policies and wellbeing events will not make up for poor leadership and a bad culture.

Grant Thornton Ireland2019-11-20
  6. "Worst Place I have ever worked!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only good was the 2 colleagues I could confide in.

Cons

Where do I begin! If you have any personality, independant thoughts or opinion this is not the place for you. The warning signs were there from day 1 with the high turnover rate of employees and the false niceness. They try to cover up the fact that its actually hell on earth by be dazzling you with the fancy modern building, canteen, gym, benifits and their supposed amazing events. The bullying from all level management is unreal if they don't like you they set you up to fail. First step is 3 months in where they hint you aren't good enough, 6 months they like to set up formal HR meeting and slate you, your quality of work etc. Then it's a case they might extend your probation or just let you go if you don't walk first. You can even breath and someone is reporting you for having a bad attitude like I said you can't have a personality.

Advice to Management

You can't give them advice they operate with their own agendas.

Grant Thornton Ireland2019-11-28
  7. "Good place to work etc"

I have been working at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time

Pros

Seems to be good opportunities for advancement

Cons

Haven't found any so far

Grant Thornton Ireland2019-10-06
  8. "Great People"

Former Employee - Graduate in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Phenomenal work environment, worked with some very intelligent people whilst there. The offices are an obvious plus.

Cons

Not that many come to mind, given the increase in size you have little to no idea what the departments outside of your own do.

Grant Thornton Ireland2019-10-01

"Business Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time

Pros

Nice Office which is new

Cons

Office Politics, mediocre staff, bad work atmosphere, awful clients, duplicitous HR. Don't work here, particularly if a straight white man. Go somewhere better.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff

Grant Thornton Ireland2019-10-22

"Not an equal opportunities employer. No relevant trainings. But there’s work-life balance and a beautiful office."

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance. They have a canteen that serves €5 a meal. Beautiful office. There is support from your Directors or Executives if you have accounting or auditing issues.

Cons

Promotion may not be solely based on merits. If you’re not Irish, you may have to work twice or may be thrice as much so you can get that promotion. The Partner would just tell you that there is no business needs. In terms of professional growth, management does not really invest in trainings especially on new accounting standards and industry practice for Audit Seniors and trainees. I asked my colleagues who are Assistant Managers already and they told me they didn’t get the trainings as well. I raised it to The Academy and they just told me that we had to request for the training so we can have it. I totally get their point but in Big 4 Firms, for example, they identify the relevant trainings that the employees should be required to take for their professional growth. That’s how it should be. Grant Thornton should really need step up in this area.

Advice to Management

You need to review your policy in Equal Opportunities and make sure that everyone gets the chance to advance in their career. Invest in your people by providing relevant trainings.

Grant Thornton Ireland2019-09-17