Grand Circle Travel Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Grand Circle Travel Reviews

Updated Nov 8, 2019

2.3
Grand Circle Travel CEO Alan E. Lewis (no image)
Alan E. Lewis
Pros
Cons
  • "Roles outside of the Call Center have more freedom/flexibility(in 28 reviews)

• "They preach their "core values" but good luck being open and courageous and taking risks, you'll be the out the door real fast(in 22 reviews)

"Toxic environment"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

Solid benefits, good chances of promotions as all experienced personnel has fled for their lives, although as a replacement for a promotion you will probably need to lose a bit of your soul.

Cons

Owner irrational. Your future in company depends more on your ability to sell an image about yourself than on your job skills and the quality of your work. The fact that the senior personnel has fled means that anyone can be promoted which also includes people whose only skills are that they are yea-sayers and who don't have a single leadership bone in their bodies. If you do manage to impress and do everything... within the crazy deadlines and goals that are given, this only means that for next task it will be expected that you achieve roughly 20-30% better than last time, and this is valid for each next task until you fail, at which point the owner (or SR management) treats you like sh*t in front of your colleagues and uses you as an example to others because in his mind he perceives that as "challenging" people. One of the key phrases is "open & courageous communication", which is only valid if you are saying what they want to hear and if your views are at least 90% aligned with Alan&management. If not, "O&C" is a one way ticket out of the door, which means O&C is basically B&S. P&C (HR) is laughable, incapable of developing people to the point that they have no idea what kind of people they have under them and who is best fit for which role. Due to insane demands (and job insecurity) from head office regional offices have locked themselves in a way where no one wants to even apply for the job, as the company is being regarded as a joke. Letting go of people is erratic, they will let go of people without thinking of the time and the effort it took to develop that person, without thinking of the losses that will be created by incapable replacements, without thinking who will take over the tasks that have been left behind, without thinking that the actual cost of termination at that point means that all other people in that office will be stretched (and frustrated) for several months until they find and train a proper replacement (which is done at a snail's pace), and without thinking of the effects this will have on those people in that office as they will be expected to still deliver 110% of their regular job in addition to delivering everything for that person who was let go.

Advice to Management

Advice to Alan - please finally sell this company and give it a chance to become decent again. Advice to senior management - grow a pair.

Grand Circle Travel2019-11-08
  2. "Management needs to communicate more"

Current Employee - Program Service Coordinator in Tokyo

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Get to shape travelers experience by hiring/training guides.

Cons

-Management not aligned together with different ideas to run things. -Bad communication in management and everyone blaming others for failures. -On the job training with very high expectations -Have very low staff retention overall

Grand Circle Travel2019-11-07

"Do Not Understand How They Could Lie About ME"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

The People were really nice, and from what I saw that 1 day it was amazing and I really wanted to be a part of it. From the Managers to the Trainers, They seemed to really Care about their employee's. I knew I would learn a great deal and really would enjoy helping clients with all their travel needs.

Cons

I paid my own way up to Boston from Orlando. I paid for my lodging. I had to resign after the first day of orientation due to my Life Partner's illness. I was told I could reapply after 6 months. I have been applying for about 5 months now. I received an email from a HR Woman, who told me that GCT/OAT would NEVER Look at me again, because GCT had paid my way from Orlando up to Boston and they paid for my Lodging... and after 2 weeks I walked off the Job. Which is a blatant Lie. Because I have the receipts from the airlines and the hotel, which I paid for. It hurts that someone would put a lie in my personal file at GCT, when I thought they were a Awesome and wonderful company.

Advice to Management

Find out who is putting false information into employee's personnel files. Please. I really wanted to come back and work for you.

Grand Circle Travel2019-09-30

"Stay FAR Away!"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SOME of the people were the best part about the company (but don't worry, it's only a matter of time before Alan Lewis fires all the good ones)

Cons

I don't know how this place is functioning. Everyone walks around on eggshells, avoiding the 6th floor at all costs so as not to run into the owner, Alan. A completely negative office environment. Good luck getting any form of acknowledgment (smile, hello, etc) from any of the "leaders"; they avoid employees like the plague and think they're too good for anyone. The management structure is absolutely pitiful;... everyone is either a relative or friend of Alan and will therefore never leave the payroll no matter what they do or DON'T do...and trust me, they don't do much. If you're a half-decent human being who actually puts in your time and effort, nothing will be recognized unless you drink their kool-aid and LOTS of it. "Directors" and "VP's" are all 25/30 year old's who are in a new position of power and don't know the first thing about managing, but they will certainly leave the office every week for 4 hour lunches when you need them most. Company gives paid days off to leadership only because "they work so hard"; meanwhile there is a load of dead leadership weight just bouncing from department to department. Their only internal organization is one for women, but it's 100% exclusive and you have to be invited, aka it's all political garbage. There's a backwards bi-annual grading system where you get a letter grade for your performance like you're in high school but in GCC fashion, there's no structure to this and it's completely based on politics and how well you get along with your manager. They preach their "core values" but good luck being open and courageous and taking risks, you'll be the out the door real fast.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the dead weight. Pay attention to who you're promoting; it's de-moralizing when employees put in hours of extra work each week but their boss is never available because they went to the movies during work or ignores emails because they're playing games in the office. Hire an actual HR department so that people have someone to talk to when there are issues, because there are lots of them.

Grand Circle Travel2019-10-28
  5. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Director, Program Management in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Money! Flexible contracts! Good training team in Bratislava.

Cons

Good people! Nothing to add as a suggestion...

Advice to Management

Stay good as u are!

Grand Circle Travel2019-09-18

"Good Culture, great location, okay benefits"

Former Employee - Traveler Support Associate

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great location in the heart of the Seaport District

Cons

Performance constantly monitored on ridiculous metrics.

Grand Circle Travel2019-08-28
  7. "Etra overtime work required"

Current Employee - Manager in Africa, MO

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Values oriented company where young people can thrive

Cons

Top down decision making structure make subordinates busy

Grand Circle Travel2019-09-11
  8. "glorified call center"

Former Employee - Traveler Support Associate

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

good benefits and company culture

Cons

work hours/ flexibility compensation work weekends

Grand Circle Travel2019-08-18

"Great company!!! Worst on People values"

Former Employee - Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits and open culture.

Cons

Too much favouritism. It's NOTHING but the management team. Horrible is a less word. No Team env. No value for hard works. Juz STAY AWAY

Advice to Management

Better get to know who is a great worker and never rely on one.

Grand Circle Travel2019-07-10

"Wouldn't want to work anywhere else!!!!!"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Grand Circle is a great company to work for. The managers and supervisors go above and beyond to help you grow as an individual in the work place. There is unlimited room for growth within the company. They really live by their values and take them seriously which is great-- you are encouraged to speak up if something isn't working for you and they take their feedback seriously. Yes, it is fast paced and you do... have high goals; however, with hard work they are achievable and you are rewarded. The compensation may seem low for a base salary but if you are performance driven you have the ability to make a lot of $$$ based off of the incentive program. The benefits are incredible, the travel benefits are even better! It's a great work environment to be in and is located right in the seaport.

Cons

none, the company, culture and people are AWESOME.

Grand Circle Travel2019-06-19