Freddie Mac Reviews

3.9
Freddie Mac CEO David Brickman
David Brickman
Pros
Cons
  • "I think once we exit conservatorship, these things will change(in 52 reviews)

• "Some folks in senior management are REALLY (x2) bad and that affects the culture of the division(in 33 reviews)

1. "Overall great experience"

Current Employee - IT Generalist in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Networking, Cafeteria, Training, Pay

Cons

Politics, bureaucracy, management, Silos, division

"Great benefits, Not-so-good salary"

Current Employee - Multifamily Production Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits (tuition reimbursement, student loan assistance, 8.5% 401k, etc.), great work/life balance, lots of opportunities to learn, moving within the company is very possible, management genuinely cares about you as a person

Cons

Salary could be much better, switching roles within the company will work against you in terms of salary, salaries are dramatically higher for the same role if you're an external hire, how the company loses talent

Continue reading

July 7, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your review and for highlighting our industry-leading benefits, growth opportunities and leadership. We work hard to provide our employees with tools to help them achieve total well-being, and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your continued contributions and for being a part of our team.

3. "Not worth the "benefits""

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health care was cheap and remote work was encouraged. Plenty of extra curriculars in terms of social/alumni groups.

Cons

Working in IT meant you were expected to be on call 24/7 because a report wouldn't run. Fair, but never compensated financially or with time off. Managers and employees frequently abused the remote work ability and despite wide spread acknowledgement and obvious proof, no changes were made. Forget advancing if you aren't a white male and try not to roll your eyes at the constant stories of the good old days when lavish parties were thrown. Also, contractors are told they're "equal members of the team" but usually treated like expendable staff augmentation.

"Good For A Long Time"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriting Analyst

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time

Pros

FM is a place that you could make a career at and work for a long time. Institutional knowledge is definitely valued.

Cons

Hard to ever gain experience outside of your box.

June 26, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your positive experience at Freddie Mac. To support career growth, we encourage employees to take advantage of the thousands of learning and development opportunities we offer as well as our educational assistance program benefits. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and wish you the best in your next endeavor.

5. "Review"

Current Employee - Systems Analysis Professional in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Culture, diverse group of folks to work with. Upper management if future oriented and focused on group success. With the right management, employee can grow and see a long term future ahead of them at Freddie.

Cons

Technically not as advanced as one should be in this industry. A lot slower for folks looking for a competitive space.

June 26, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your review and for mentioning the inclusive culture, leadership and growth opportunities at Freddie Mac. We're continuously working to lead the industry forward in every aspect of our business. Thanks for being a part of our team and for your support of our important mission.

6. "Very Different Work Life Balance Depending on Division"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Being hired from externally pay is good and the benefits are generous.

Cons

Mobility is stagnant and pay increases after hire are small.

June 22, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your feedback and for mentioning our competitive compensation package. If you are looking to grow your responsibilities in different areas of the business, we encourage you to talk to your manager about new projects you might take on and the next steps in your career journey. Thank you for your feedback and for your years of service in support of our important mission.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time

Pros

Wonderful culture, management staff is very easy to work with, company is transparent with their staff.

Cons

Lots of red tape to get anything done, things tend to move slow.

June 16, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for mentioning our leadership and culture. We're proud of the team and inclusive culture at this company. Thank you for being a part of it.

8. "Great work life balance"

5.0
    Current Employee - Director in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great work life balance, and work contributes to providing affordability/stability to housing market.

Cons

Company is presently under conservatorship, future uncertain.

May 29, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your feedback and for highlighting our flexible work arrangements and important housing mission. We’re proud of the team at Freddie Mac, and we’re continuously working to ensure that our business remains strong, stable and well-positioned for the future. Thank you again for your review and for your years of service to Freddie Mac.

"Good Pay, So-So Culture"

Former Employee - Project Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits, interesting work

Cons

IT is the tail that wags the dog. Their focus is on making sure they cannot be blamed when things go wrong, not on getting stuff done. So, if you are a business PM who has to work with IT, it can be extremely frustrating. Also, the culture at the firm overall is extremely hierarchical. That can be an issue if your project crosses multiple management chains or levels within your chain. Work/life balance was an issue for me - many late nights and weekends.

Continue reading

May 26, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your review. We take all feedback seriously and appreciate you taking the time to provide it.

"Eh."

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paid well. Easier than private sector consulting.

Cons

It's a bank; a money-first mentality persists.

May 26, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your feedback and for mentioning our competitive compensation package. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and wish you good luck in the future.

Found 960 reviews