Flight Centre Travel Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 2 Aug 2020

3.5
Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner
Pros
  • "Unlimited annual leave, lots of travel, work hard play hard(in 60 reviews)

• "Awesome travel perks, great work/life balance(in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • "Tough sales targets which can sometimes encourage long hours(in 164 reviews)

• "Work life/balance can be difficult to manage(in 134 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Stressful"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Brisbane
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Access to good rates for travel

Cons

No work life balance, very KPI driven and sales orientated only. If not selling, not good enough.

2. "FCTG review"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good community, a lot of resources available, a lot of training available

Cons

Low base wage, sometimes lack of structure, work life balance is tricky

"Good if you like that sort of thing"

Former Employee - Different Positions Held in London, England

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People. Social aspect of the job. Easy to move through company. Coaching and Development

Cons

Long hours. Awful systems. Work/life balance. Pay. Some managers.

March 16, 2020

Thank you for your review of your experience working for us as a Travel Consultant. Some of the behaviours that you describe in your review is not something that is endorsed by Flight Centre and does not uphold the values of our organisation. We encourage anyone who has worked for us before and is able to give us feedback to contact us at applications@flightcentre.co.uk so that we are able to investigate your comments further.

4. "Great People & Perks"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Awesome perks, great people, lots of opportunities to travel!

Cons

Work life/balance can be difficult to manage.

March 16, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review about your experience working at Flight Centre. It was a pleasure to have you, and we hope that our paths may cross again sometime soon!

5. "Great fun but not a long term career"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great fun social job with lots of travel opportunities and fairly independent work environment

Cons

Extremely poor salary for hard work, not much pay increases available even with promotions within the retail sector, poor work life balance

6. "Terrible."

1.0
    Current Employee - 3IC Travel Consultant

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good discounts via some suppliers. Free alcohol at work conferences

Cons

Management are hopeless & if you go to any leader to address an issue, it gets spread around the company immediately & you are then shunned for “disrespecting your leaders” The “anonymous” whistleblower is not anonymous and emails /conversations are forwarded directly to your manager & area leaders showing your name. Pay is an absolute joke for the amount of hard work, overtime, and mental abuse you deal with on a daily basis. Targets are unachievable unless you overcharge your customers. Absolute 0 work-life balance. You will have suppliers, 24/7 assist & customers calling your mobile at 3am in the morning which you are expected to answer as you need to have your mobile number in the company phone book (accessible to anyone in the company) Majority of “package deals” & “flight deals” advertised, come directly out of your commission. Paying tax out of your commission on domestic bookings & then having your commission taxed again when paid.

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Modbury

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

uncapped salary, travel, famils, customer rapport, development, leadership

Cons

work life balance, stressful environment sometimes

8. "flight centre"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Manager

Pros

money is good if you get lucky with a busy store

Cons

long hours, no work/life balance. hard to earn high numbers and super high earners are rare.

9. "Thank you NEXT"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a well above average sales person, this has potential They check on your health yearly with their Healthwise program

Cons

Low pay, no work life balance, they promote free drinks at their events as a huge benefit rather than spending money to increase the base pay, have to be really tech savvy to make this work

September 30, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience working with us. It's true that the role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance based pay. It's not something that everyone will enjoy, however if you enjoy working toward goals and a pay structure that grows as you grow, you'll enjoy it here. Travel Consultants work on a 40 hour roster which, if in a retail store, usually includes late night trading and a rotation of weekends. There is no requirement for our staff to work anything more than reasonable additional time like other workplaces, however because earning potential is uncapped, many choose to work longer than their rostered hours in order to finalise more business, be even more successful and earn more commission. All staff have access to free health and wellness consultations, discounted (free in some locations) gym memberships, free counselling sessions and financial planning. As at July, 2019, guaranteed minimum earnings for a first year consultant with no prior experience is $41,118 per year. This can increase up to $48,897 for a qualified and experienced consultant. Penalty rates for weekends and evening work are paid in addition to these amounts as well as employee commission payments which operate on a scale from 10% to 35% of the total monthly company commission that you achieve.

10. "Good first full time job"

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Cheltenham, Victoria

Pros

Good incentives and lovely clients. I was part of a big team which was great, made global and got some great holidays out of it. My TL was really supportive when I dropped to part time and being part time I was still able to pull the same figures. I made global gathering which was amazing

Cons

To make global gathering I had to push myself every month to get the sales which left me drained and poor work life balance. Being part of a big team meant things got lost in translation as well meaning we would have communication issues. I'm leaving as I can't see the job being sustainable for the long run

September 30, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your constructive feedback.

Found 134 reviews