Facebook Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 29 Jul 2020

4.4
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg
Pros
  • "I mean free food tastes so much better than non-(in 370 reviews)

• "Lots of smart people to work with(in 300 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be challenging depending on your team(in 405 reviews)

• "No cons that I can think of at this time(in 89 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great values"

Current Employee - Head of Sales in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good work-life balance and great benefits

Cons

sometimes long hours and disconnect to overall strategy

"cool"

4.0
    Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

good perks in the job

Cons

long hours to be done regularly

Continue reading

3. "Interesting Place to Work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Facebook part-time

Pros

-Great ideas, good place to learn, and can network with other talented workers.

Cons

-Had to actually use Facebook, long hours, and frequent changes

4. "Mechanical Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Food, pay, health care benefits, wellness reimbursement, culture, and mental health benefits

Cons

Long hours, competitive, and fast paced with high expectations

"It's fine. It's not heaven."

Former Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity for impact. Rapid product growth. Competitive pay and benefits. Somewhat transparent. Nice rooftop garden. I enjoyed the free, healthy food options and onsite gyms.

Cons

Expectations of long hours. Growing pains. As the company scales, toxic individuals are allowed to stay on teams. Decisions tend to be more top down. The shine of a lot of the perks wear off quickly. There's a crazy push to be outwardly/overly optimistic and not to point out problems. Dissenters are pushed out pretty fast.

Continue reading

"Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

The opportunity that Facebook offers for autonomy and career growth is incredible; coming in as a new grad PE I have the opportunity to grow based on merit and performance, not time in the role. Flexibility in when I work, how I prioritize my projects, and the scope of my work is invigorating and makes me excited to come to work each day. The company is mission-driven to a great extent, and I have been impressed with the way we have owned up to prior mistakes and fixed them head on. The Production Engineering role is well respected within the company, and the importance of reliability and scaling increases as our services reach more of the world. As a PE you will gain the knowledge necessary to build and operate real hyperscale systems capable of providing services to billions of people. My team is comprised of some of the smartest, experienced engineers I have ever met - some of which have been building Linux services since 0.01. Even though sometimes working at Facebook feels like drinking from the proverbial fire hose, I am grateful I have the opportunity to learn from some of the top people in their field. For example, in bootcamp I took a command-line efficiency class from Jim Meyering, one of the maintainers of coreutils and also a Facebook employee. Many other people have commented on this, but the perks and compensation are still top-notch. The company helps take care of your life so you can focus on work while you're working.

Cons

Facebook hires the kind of people that expect a lot from themselves. Despite some reports, you do not need to work long hours in order to succeed at Facebook. Bootcamp gives you the chance to find a team that matches you well, and new hires should come in intending to join a team where they can both find balance and grow in their career. The company is growing and there is some sentiment around slowing down, but most engineering teams are still bottom-up driven and innovating in their space. The things we are doing around privacy and AR/VR are on the bleeding edge and we are strong leaders in these areas. On the other hand, ironically, there is also sentiment around moving too fast as a company. Since we are people- and product-focused (as opposed to engineering-focused, like at Google), our primary goal is to impact the lives of people for good. Sometimes this means we opt for rapid prototyping over beautifully designed code. However, we are doing much better at recognizing better engineering work such as cleaning up code and improving monitoring, especially in the PE role.

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them... - Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real. - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else. - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere. - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance. - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible. Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so. Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Facebook Response

March 31, 2016Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

8. "happy place to work"

Current Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Everyone's motivated and smart. People care about your success, and there are so many things to learn. It's really open, too. You can ask about even the most c o n f i d e n t i a l things. The Workplace groups are a good place to find some humor.

Cons

The work is sometimes really hard, and your salary / promotion depends on the amount of impact you have. This means that if your team embarks on failed projects, you could see a decrease in your chances of career advancement, even if it was higher-level management's fault. There are also a lot of people who work really long hours, and you're stacked against them during the performance summary cycle evaluations.

"Wouldn't recommend"

1.0
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Snacks, food, benefits, office looks good

Cons

-Long hours, can't work here if you have kids and have a good family life -Lack of diversity -Not recognized for hard work only if your manager likes you. Don't care about people, only business needs

"Best place to work!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Transparent company - Great pay - Flexible schedule - Overtime for admins - Best benefits!

Cons

- High pressure - Can be long hours

Found 47 reviews