FDM Group Employee Reviews about "account managers"

Updated 23 Jul 2020

3.2
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell
Pros
  • "Easy entry in to large blue chip companies compared to their own grad schemes(in 93 reviews)

• "One thing that is certain is that FDM is a gateway to blue chip companies(in 65 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "account managers"

Return to all Reviews

"Business Consultant"

I worked at FDM Group full-time

Pros

I trained to be a Business Analyst, and training actually wasnt that bad but definitely shouldnt be valued at £20k+. I had a really good team who I'm still in touch with at the moment. Some trainers really care about you and your progression, however some are just there to simply do the job. The firm has a good and ambitious vision, but execution can be much better.

Cons

Poor pay. no job security whatsoever. I know people who are placed but are still worried of where they'll be in a few months time because some have contracts that are only 4-5 months long, etc. When I was in the pond, an account manager nearly guaranteed me a job for a client as I was the next one to be placed in that field. But the client requested someone else who was already placed in a different country, so FDM took that consultant out of that contract and relocated him to a new one..? This just didnt make sense to me at all. Staff attrition is high. After training, they say it's FDM's job to get us into a job but their effort in doing this was not really shown whatsoever. No communication with account managers unless you persistently annoy them about you.

"Okay"

2.0

I worked at FDM Group for more than a year

Pros

easiest entry to the i.t feild

Cons

account managers really do not look at the individuals they go with a see what sticks approach training unpaid low pay

3. "Great stepping stone into IT"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Hong Kong

I have been working at FDM Group for less than a year

Pros

The academy provides great qualification that trainees can take advantage of and leverage to kick start their career in IT. Whether it is a career change or another avenue into the IT industry, FDM is a great platform. There are also great trainers who have a wealth of experience to share and pass on knowledge of both theory and practical. The account managers that work with you to get placed on site each have their own styles and specialties with a great profile of clients. They will help to prepare you for interviews and get you onsite as soon as possible!

Cons

The downside would be that there will be a compulsory 2 years to work with FDM, but it is not really a downside if compared to the opportunities that FDM opens for individuals

4. COVID-19

"End of 2 year review, FDM is a below adequate company"

Current Employee - Developer in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are loads of negatives about this company and the way they handle consultants. However, they did get my foot in the door. This is the only positive about this place and is the reason if I had too, would go through this all over again (considering how desperate I was for a job). They have some decent contacts with great FTSE 100/250 companies. While there is no guarantee you will be placed on-site with a client while on training, you will at least have a unique opportunity to apply for these companies. Account managers having a direct line to the hiring manager.

Cons

I have been working with FDM for a little of over 2 years (about to transition to perm at the client but everything is delayed due to COVID) and started in their Business intelligence stream. Went on around 6 weeks of training, then after some interviews, I was placed on-site at a client. The training is fairly basic but a good intro to various subjects. Instructors were nice and well versed in their subject area. You are not paid during training but your travel is covered. Overall my experience of FDM is that it is a below adequate company. While onsite I experienced the downside of corporate life going through 3 rounds of redundancies. As a result, I had little to no guidance when it came to learning or career and it was a very solitary experience. I had to teach myself a lot of technical skills and fund my certification. Absolutely no help from FDM (apart from plural sight but most of the stuff was on youtube) and they do not support you in funding certifications. I have also experienced how strict they are with the contract as during these redundancies I was asked to shift to Scotland. I was unable to do this as I was supporting a family member going through severe mental health issues. Since I wasn't the primary carer the response from FDM was that they care about mental health but if I don't go I will be in breach of contract and liable to pay the exit fee. There was a lot of effort on my part to secure a new role for myself. Thankfully the client I was working for was really helpful and understanding of my situation. Account manager communication is fairly no existent. They only contact to chase a contract extension. Communication with FDM is fairly non-existent with that only being to chase up late timesheets. They do not do any socials like Christmas parties or other events for their consultants. They did one summer party that was during my training but after that, they never did any consultant socials. Would have been nice considering other consultancies offer these sort of socials for their consultants. However, when onsite you probably will get the chance to go to client socials. Salary is very low compared to other grad schemes with companies of a similar size and holiday entitlement is pathetic frankly compared to other companies. But if I am honest at the time I was just happy I got my foot in the door so didn't really care about my salary for the first 2 years. As I entered my third year I went through salary negotiations and you are benchmarked against other consultants rather than your skills and industry. As a result (and in my case) the third year salary was very low compared to industry standards and compared to the skillset I had worked for over the past 2 years. Once again there is no room for negotiation on this. Probably why they have such a high turn over as they expect consultants after 2 years to either leave or go perm. Met a few consultants who have been there for a few years and are doing okay but it all depends on your skillset and circumstances. My advice to anyone applying, take into account the strict contract and take into account your situation before applying. There is no consideration for your location and you can be placed anywhere. (All my interviews were for roles up north, I was very lucky to be placed local but most of my stream were sent up north). In terms of the stream to apply for, it really depends on you but I experienced those in the technical stream (BI, software dev etc.) did get placed quicker. That's not to say that the project managers, BA's or ITSM didn't get placed but it took longer and some were benched for a while. I did experience people getting benched and eventually let go. Not too sure if my experience/views are in the minority but if you do join FDM don't just wait for places on the opportunity board to show, by that time it is usually too late. Constantly speak to all the account managers directly and keep chasing them.

Continue reading

"Good to get your career started"

Former Employee - Junior Project Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time

Pros

- 12 weeks of training in different modules - some trainers are very helpful and patient to help trainees with modules related questions and/or interview related questions - account managers usually try and get trainees placed - very detailed training for self-improvement - good place to start for anyone that is new to the workforce or switching careers

Cons

- very low pay (sometimes not even enough for all basic bill payments) - some trainers / internal staff are disrespectful - a very micromanaging environments that prevents "out of the box" thinking - no one is allowed to work remotely and trainees are not accommodated very well if in need

Continue reading

"If only there was a 0 star option.."

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

It's an easy job to get You don't have to talk to them while on site

Cons

No one cares about you here. You will just be a bunch of dollar signs. They will pressure you and treat you like you know nothing so you become play dough for them and can shove you into any opportunity they can find. I have been personally bullied by most of the account managers. Went to HR, got bullied there too. I saw others around me get bullied, some to the point where they just had to resign. If you really want a job, you can do it, but make sure you bring a lot of self esteem with you.

"Last Resort Job"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're lucky, you'll have an academy trainer who cares and helps you. If you're desperate to work for top-tier bank as a glorified paper pusher then this job will get you in the door. Comradery with your fellow consultants, both with grads and beached consultants. Made some life long friends from this experience, the only good thing to come from it. If you get one of occasional European jobs, you'd get a relocation grant which would help with accommodation.

Cons

When there is a lawsuit against you for unlawful training/exit fees, that would be the first warning. Locked in for 2 years, at £20,000 for training which comes nowhere near to that volume, and the fact they take 2/3rds if not more of the fee from the client to 'cover' this 20,000 - stay away. Speaking of, pay is dreadful. Only in 2018 did they finally change their pay scale and introduce a london wage, but £23000/25000 for a 1st year BA, when Just Eat give £35000 for their grads. In addition, 20 days holiday pa, lower than most companies. Low pension contributions, and no other benefits besides free mini tea/coffee in their academies. If you're unlucky, you'll have a trainer who doesn't really care and sets the bare minimum work they can get away with. I was lucky and had multiple projects for different subjects, but I've spoken with people from other classes/locations whose trainer didnt care, set them no projects and didnt do more than read a pre-prepared powerpoint document which is already accessible to the students. The BA training covered everything that a BA should do, not I did anything related on my client site; but for developers and testers I spoke with others who said their course was severely lacking in relevant and modern training. No pay during training (can be up to 12 weeks + any time after when you haven't been placed) is embarrassing. Given how the expectation is that you can't have any job whilst working for FDM, I don't know how FDM expect their consultants to support themselves at all. Once you're placed, don't expect to hear anything from your account manager. You're literally just another number to them and another commission check. You'll get the occasional visit if it fits in with their schedule when seeing the client, no emails either. Very surprising when you consider how 'chummy' they are with everyone back in the academies. Most of HR are nice and are caring, except if it comes to leaving FDM/client early. No matter what you tell them as to reasons, even if they already knew about it, the idea you'll leave either one makes them flip 180. This is from a UK perspective, I can't speak for those in America/Asia.

"Full-time Consultant"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Development Consultant in Singapore

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

- A lot of learning opportunities. - A training program of 4 months for Technology enthusiasts. - Encouraging account managers. - Chance to improve your skills as a developer with experienced clients. - Good salary benefits. - Chanced to be recognized for your contributions.

Cons

It is an amazing company to work for and every company has its cons but there are none worth writing about.

"Foot into industry"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Have some very big clients but equally have smaller clients. Roles with the more reputable clients are often hard to come by. - Good people on the ground, you'll be in the same boat as all - Some good account managers IF you make the time for them - Some good Academy Trainers - London office is in a good location

Cons

- Hit and miss on what client you go too. You won't have much option on what clients you are put forward too. You may not get a role in the area you trained in. - Basic salary of £20,000 then depending on location you get a daily bonus only when on Client site. - Geographically Flexible, you will have to move to the client - Some of the governance around procedures in Academy is very tedious and feels like you're back in school. - When on client site FDM should do more to check up on their consultants. - Some of the roles you are put forward for do not materialise. - When not on client site, you are still expected to go into office from 9am-5.30pm. Your attendance will be monitored.

Continue reading

"Go if you have no other option"

Former Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s a place where new grads with NO other options could get some start

Cons

-If they loose clients, they fire their existing employees as they could not place all of them -Extremely low salary -The account managers don’t care for you. You are on your own.

Found 201 reviews