European Investment Bank Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

European Investment Bank Reviews

Updated 8 Jan 2020

3.3
European Investment Bank President Dr. Werner Hoyer (no image)
Dr. Werner Hoyer

"Trainee"

Current Employee - Trainee in Luxembourg

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment; you actually learn a lot

Cons

could be too relaxed sometimes

European Investment Bank2017-07-10

"Good place to work, but depends on what you are looking for"

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Luxembourg

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As in any other support staff positions, it depends a lot (A LOT) on who your direct manager is. However, there are mostly nice people to work with, a dynamic environment, different tasks to do, the possibility to work in external offices, sport facilities, a good cantine, lots of things to learn if you are interested in finance...

Cons

I wont say these are "cons", but definetly areas for improvement. For support staff, there are internal mobility oportunities but devil is in the details: horizontal mobility. Forget about studying, learning, working hard, preparing a public or closed competition and, one day, have a better job in some area you like. There are some "career paths", but it is like wanting to win the lottery. You start in a support staff position, it is almost a miracle if you get something different. Technically, it is not forbidden but certainly not encouraged. Learning oportunities? Indeed, but just related to your current job position (talk about talent development!). After 3-4 years maximum, it starts to demotivate. Not everybody can be the President, but knowing that the glass ceiling is so low is depressing, feels unfair and even classist. Micromanagement and highly complicated procedures (and getting worse) are a huge source of stress in some parts of the Bank. Changing them is not an easy task and we are currently very understaffed in administrative areas. Strong resilience is needed.

Advice to Management

Take into consideration internal talent, develop it, motivate people not just with MONEY: also with mobility, trainings, recognition, improvement of procedures, communication, indepependence without tons of micromanagement.... You would reduce turnover, improve motivation and hard work. Demotivated people are expensive: they work little, use all the advantages they can get and stay there for ever and ever. (What else after a CDI, if you only offer a salary and sport facilities??)

European Investment Bank2017-05-31

"General insight"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Multicultural, interesting work, geographically diverse, good benefits, offers opportunities for initiatives.

Cons

Bureaucratic, can be slow in decision making

Advice to Management

Reduce political aspects of decision making, assert the Bank better in the global scene, expand mandates.

European Investment Bank2017-06-04

"low paid trainees"

Intern in Luxembourg

I worked at European Investment Bank

Pros

International ambiance, Building, Canteen, Colleagues

Cons

Really low paid trainess... I cannot understand why trainees are so badly paid compared to those at other EU instutions (ie.: Parliament...) plus taking into account that life in Luxembourg is a lot more expensive than in Brussels.

Advice to Management

Please try to raise salaries for trainees asap... your losing great candidates just because of that.

European Investment Bank2017-04-28

"International environment and relaxed workplace"

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

A lot of training opportunities and internal seminars; Possibility to be in contact with international people with different experiences; Good work/life balance; A quite relaxed environment to work in; It can offer a lot in terms of social activities; A good and cheap restaurant/cafeteria is available within the building; A balanced mix of informal and formal ways to interact with colleagues and managers.

Cons

It takes time to find your way if you do not come from another financial institution and you work in a role not involved in the core business; It may require a shift in the mindset and habits of work for people not used to be employed by a public sector organisation.

Advice to Management

Promote more team building activities

European Investment Bank2017-04-06

"..."

Current Employee - Administrator in Luxembourg

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Human working environment, good quality of life in Luxembourg, working towards transparent communication, modern working life

Cons

For some tasks more workforce is needed, uneven distribution of workload/worktools

European Investment Bank2017-04-06

"Not a good option for young professionals. Good option for more senior professionals."

Current Employee - Junior Officer

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

In the begginig you get what it looks like a quite attractive package. Good facilities Good work environment and relationships wirh colleages. Good cantine. Good health insurance.

Cons

In the beggining it looks challenging and interesting but after some time you realise the following: 1- No incentives to work hard are given. 2- Once you learn your task there is no interest in training you further. 3- You end up doing the work of senior officers although you do not have any possibility to advance in the organisation and you do not get any kind of compensation or recognition for it. With time more tasks and responsabilities are given to you but not compensation or posibilities of promotion are given in exchange. 4- The feeling of being a third or fouth class employee. 5-Managers only pursue their personal goals. 6- There is no will to change the status quo. 7- Personnel policies only apply when it is convinient for them.

Advice to Management

Give more importance to young employees, value then more , give them incentives, proper training and recognition. Make it easier to scale in the organisation and align salary with real responsabilities. In summary take them in consideration. The EIB staff is not only senior employees that have been forever in the bank. Increase the allowance of trainnes because it is not enough to survive in Luxembourg with the current and frozen for years allowance regardless the increase cost of living. Recognise and regulate the labour of independent consultats.

European Investment Bank2017-01-20
  8. "Economist"

Junior Economist in Luxembourg

I worked at European Investment Bank for less than a year

Pros

great working environment and colleagues

Cons

may not fit someone who is more used to private sector and dynamic work environment

Advice to Management

na

European Investment Bank2017-01-01

"Don't go there if you are young and just started your career!"

Former Employee - Graduate

I worked at European Investment Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work life Balance - Salary and benefits - Some great people inside the Bank - Good place if you are looking for life balance and definitely not the good place if you are young and ambitious

Cons

- Bureaucratic - Be mentally prepared to hear a lot of Stereotypes jokes/comments - Not really open to change their bureaucratic way of doing things. - A slow-process culture Personal Experience: 1. Manager: During my time at the EIB I had the worst manager in my life so far, and probably one of the worst at the EIB. s/he was caring mostly about his/her professional development…in my time at the EIB (>1 year) we had 2-3 team meetings and when we had a team meeting, we could see some people of the team not invited to meetings for no real reasons. Later on, I’ve learned, through a PowerPoint presentation during the team division meeting, that my position within the team has completely changed and has been downgraded (for no real reason, never had any issue with my manager). One day you could be responsible for doing something and after you’ve done 90% of the work, s/he decide to give the work to another person for no reason. During the last 6 months of my ending period at the EIB, s/he was simply ignoring me and excluding me from team working for no reason. When s/he left to his/her wanted new position, s/he takes care to introduce everyone from the team to the new manager 1 by 1 except me! (I was there when s/he was doing this). And the worst of that is that I’ve never had any issue with my manager during my time there, or at least s/he never told me that I’ve done something wrong. 2. Life Experience at the EIB Being a Full European citizen with African origins, I have to point out that I have never heard so many stereotypes in my life than at the EIB. I am not going to mention all of the things that I heard during my time at the EIB, but to give you an example equivalent to the worst thing that someone has told me at the EIB, this would have been asking to a German person if someone from his/her family is a Nazi just because s/he is German. I found this very disgusting, more particularly since the EIB is a EUROPEAN INSTITUTION!!! (And I’m not going to comment about my manager who asked me at the end of my contract if I will need a visa to stay in Europe, knowing that it is her/him who recruited me and knew that I am fully European at that time). Furthermore, I was every time send back to my African origins by SOME people of my team with some “stupid” comments. I entered into the EIB as a European person, I’ve left the EIB with the feeling of a person that will never be considered as a non-European person my other fellow-Europeans (I’ll let you to guess what you can feel when you have this kind of feeling).

Advice to Management

Try to consider motivated and (positively) ambitious young colleagues by trusting them and giving them responsibilities instead of considering them as administrative assistants; and please try to (really) listen young people when they have suggestions, they might be useful. If HR teams read this review, please try to figure out how to resolve these issues, more particularly about origins, because I wasn’t the only person having this kind of issue in this bank.

European Investment Bank2016-12-20

"Nice but competitive"

I worked at European Investment Bank

Pros

Building equipment Sport events Art themes Canteen - give the cok a recipe and he'll cook it for you Doctor in building

Cons

Stressful and competitive environment Low paid trainees expected to eat in canteen which ruins budget

European Investment Bank2016-10-04