European Investment Bank Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

European Investment Bank Reviews

Updated Oct 25, 2019

3.3
European Investment Bank President Dr. Werner Hoyer (no image)
Dr. Werner Hoyer
  1. "Qualified tasks in a nice working environment surrounded by highly experienced employees"

Current Employee - Trainee in Luxembourg

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meaningful task Good contact with supervisor and the colleagues at my division Spacious office Social Possibility to buy lunch within the building to a reasonable price Possibility to do different sports and leisure activities within the building Create contacts with experienced people within my career field

Cons

Too low salary. Should be 2000 euros instead of 1500 euros. As it is now it is hard to go around on the money we get, due to high rents (750-850 euros for a room) and high living costs. Also, most of the trainees have a relatively high study and working experience for their age, for which they deserve a higher salary. Most trainees are doing qualified work, full time. No possibility to do any flex hours. As a... trainee you have, according to the rules of HR, no possibility to do any flex hours. We have to work exactly 8 hours a day. This makes us feel quite limited and the feeling that we’re not really trusted. We are after all relatively experienced for being newly graduated and are able to plan our work well.

European Investment Bank2019-05-14

"Low stress / superb benefits"

I worked at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

Low stress job, collaborative colleagues, low variation of pay by grade whichever part of the bank you work Excellent benefits (incl. canteen), defined benefit pension (from year 5), exceptional health insurance, access to European school for education etc.

Cons

Slow decision-making, bureaucratic, lack of accountability of bank / low competition, slow career progression. Also, living in Luxembourg might not be appealing.

European Investment Bank2019-05-06

"Can be an excellent place to work depending on the team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luxembourg
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

Can be an excellent place to work depending on the team. Good benefits, work/life balance and may be a rewarding experience.

Cons

In some areas like Risk Management one can face management culture (individual cases) which is completely unacceptable and which still exists due to outdated HR approach. Unless there are significant changes in the organisation, potential employee must think very carefully before accepting the offer. Unfortunately, not much information is publicly available in order to make an informed decision.

European Investment Bank2019-06-07
  4. "Not bad a bad place to be"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

Good working environment and team work

Cons

bad pay, no trainining, no career progress options.

European Investment Bank2019-04-06
  5. "Internship - European Investment Bank"

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a great learning experience with lovely colleagues.

Cons

No possibility to extend the contract.

European Investment Bank2019-03-09

"Came a cross a very good team"

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

- Some very competent - very good work life balance

Cons

- pay inadequate, - bad/nonexistent induction program, - administratively sluggish, - place too high an emphasis on experience, qualifications take secondary place. - very conservative and resistent to change.

Advice to Management

- put emphasis on qualification, - give younger people a chance to prove their worth, - have for each position a s structured induction program (e.g. systems learning materials, internal procedures manual, etc.)

European Investment Bank2019-03-15

"Graduate in EIB"

Current Employee - Graduate

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

International, prestigious, huge variety of interesting projects, growing institution. Great sense of purpose.

Cons

Bureaucratic and procedures-driven. Not a very good place to start career: preference is for experienced recruits. No career path or training for younger recruits. Grads are seen as rather a temporary fix for immediate staffing needs.

European Investment Bank2019-02-22

"Good place"

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

Good environment, people, location, and weather

Cons

slave level wages and no ability to access any of benefits such as gym or training.

Advice to Management

Cleaning people made more than interns. Shame on you.

European Investment Bank2019-03-11

"Think it twice"

I have been working at European Investment Bank full-time

Pros

International, multicultural. Good work-life balance specially for families with children.

Cons

Luxembourg is very small and lacks cultural life. The Bank is burocratic, not transparent, good performance is not recognized and bad performance allowed. High risk of loosing employability as all roles are too EIB focused. Big difference in benefits if you dont have children.

Advice to Management

People with indefinite contracts doesnt matter if they work well or not, are goood profesionals or not: They remain at the bank forever. Paternalistic management does not help to a healthy and proffesional environment. Risk avoidance provokes more problems than te risks themselves: management should dare to take non-popular decisions.

European Investment Bank2019-02-09
  10. "Intern"

Trainee

I worked at European Investment Bank for less than a year

Pros

Good environment Flexibility about different commitments Learning opportunities

Cons

Interns used as research assistants but do not get the title. No opportunities to stay after internship

Advice to Management

Increase the allowance and "promote" the economic research department interns to research assistants.

European Investment Bank2019-01-14