"EVERYTHING IS FINE!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Our employees are always getting to meet and work with variety of new colleagues. We produce top of the line research into organizational performance and leadership development. We fully take these practices to heart in our offices, thereby contributing to a harmonious work environment. In-person staff feedback is resoundingly positive.

Cons

Any negative sentiments towards our organization and its leadership team must be borne from a sense of entitlement by employees who deserve to, and probably already have had their “positions terminated”. No sweat though, our compassionate HR team are experts in quickly re-hiring the same positions every year to year-and-a-half. Those who have defied the odds and managed to keep their jobs have done so based purely on recognized merit and nothing else quantifiable. Anyone remotely critical of our employment and/or business practices clearly isn’t on board with our new direction that involves taking everything the previous administration did and intensifying it to a comical degree.

Other Employee Reviews

"Don’t fall for their pitch of future improvement. Quality of work is less important than playing advanced politics"

2.0
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

The People and the topics of the work. Work/life balance and compensation. They offer personal development as they bring in different training on different topics. They have monthly meetings to update everyone. They have hired very talented, educated staff.

Cons

Lack of coaching. Simply give up if it isnt working. Many good people with good talent have been let go. If you know one of the executives and were hired by them, you will do fine. But if you are not in their click - it wont work. They have all the buzz words of what is important but no delivery on the vision. What is behind all of their words is a very political environment that says one thing but does something very different behind the scenes. I fell for this workplace, even though I had read the reviews as I thought the reviews were from disgruntled employees (as I am used to this) as a seasoned manager. I also thought that with my success from the past, I could align to their vision and I could positively change things and grow with the company. That is not the case, very good people are let go.

"Going downhill"

1.0
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at The Conference Board of Canada full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are still lots of great people at the board. You can learn a lot working on interesting projects.

Cons

There are three main reasons why you should avoid taking a job at the board. First , the leadership is terrible. Second, they treat people very poorly. Third, they discourage any questions on the direction of the leadership. The leadership at the board is terrible. The ET has been chosen by their ability to agree with the president. Most have no clue about the area that they are running. This has resulted in good leaders leaving or being pushed out and divisions being shut down. It has also left the board on a negative financial footing. It is only a matter of time before it is no longer financially viable. A few large projects are the only thing keeping the place afloat. Unfortunately, we are not delivering on results. The leadership treats employees terrible and as easily disposable. So many amazing employees have been let go after 20 years of service. The severance has been terrible or none at all during the current downturn. They have also allowed so many senior staff or ET to treat their employees terribly. If a complaint is made they are quickly fired with little discipline to the manager. Finally, this is not a place where you can question the leadership or decisions. So many directors have been pushed out for raising legitimate concerns. They are then replaced by sycophants who know nothing of the area they are set to run. The economics department is no longer even run by an economics or research expert. Same for education and consulting. This has resulted in such a drop in quality. Customers are complaining.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about The Conference Board of Canada.