1. "Good job"

5.0
    Current Employee - Machinist

I have been working at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company full-time

Pros

Good pay. Plenty of room to move up

Cons

None to really speak of

1. "Great future"

5.0
    Current Employee - Aftermarket Sales, Middle East & North Africa

I have been working at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work with. Lot of growth opportunity and learning activities to move ahead

Cons

have not experienced any cons so far

2. "Get me out of here!"

2.0
    Former Employee - NDT Technician Level II
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The insurance benefits are pretty good.

Cons

SOOO many cons. I've signed numerous bids for different jobs, only to be turned down repeatedly. I have had nothing but wonderful reviews, don't cause trouble, and I get along with everyone. But on several of those bids, I was the only one that signed, and still didn't get the job. The reason the give? Because they love the work that I do. So, if I do horribly they'll let me do something else? Not a very good incentive! The workspace is horrible. In the winter, the people in my area have to wear at least 3 layers of clothes. In the summer, the temperature is so hot that we are soaked from head to toe in sweat. Our faces are raw from wiping sweat. People pass out from dehydration and heat exhaustion, are sent to the emergency room, and then we are given a point for missing work. That was insane. There are so many management people that hate each other, and it makes working there difficult. The pay is minimum at best for the jobs that require certification and 6 months of training. The quarterly bonuses that are promised are always late...usually 2 months late. Oh my goodness, and the overtime! They force overtime, and usually are told on Monday that you will be working over 2 hours all week and 6 hours on Saturday. Our days are supposed to be from 5:30am-2pm. But when we work over, we have to stay until 4pm. SO you make your family and life plans to fit around that overtime. THEN they wait until 1:50pm that you won't be working over. It makes it difficult to plan your family and life around that. You try to schedule doctor visits, child pick up and drop off times, date nights, etc around that, and then it all falls apart because of that. This is an almost daily struggle.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company.