L.E.K. Consulting - Poor culture, long hours, grossly understaffed | Glassdoor.ie

"Poor culture, long hours, grossly understaffed"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good exit opportunities but much worse than MBB

Cons

No internal support, no company vision, HEAVY focus on DDs, Grossly under-resourced compared to competitors

L.E.K. Consulting2019-09-12
  1. "Great place to start and grow your career"

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time

Pros

You get to work with uniformly intelligent, hard-working, motivated people,. I have been blown away by the quality of people on each one of my project teams. Lots of interesting projects, and opportunities for hard-working top-performers to quickly get promoted into positions of increasing stature and professional responsibility. Develop life science sector expertise, while also developing consulting,... problem-solving, and financial skills which will be useful regardless of your future career. The life science industry in Japan is going through a period of transformative change which should make life science consulting a lucrative professional opportunity in coming years. Even if you don’t stay in consulting long-term, the skills you learn here will be useful and applicable regardless of your future career. Work-life flexibility. This is not meant to say that the work isn’t intense or demanding (it is, and I address that below in the cons), but you will have the flexibility to arrange work around your personal life. If you have personal issues to attend to (droppoing children off at school, etc) work can accommodate that as long as you complete your work on-time. Furthermore, people in the company are generally very good about respecting weekends and holidays. The office has recently taken measures to strengthen the HR function. The recruiting and on-boarding system has been revolutionized and made much much faster, bringing headcount in the office more in-line with the workload. A systematic training program has been put in place – each quarter, a day is set aside just for training and project work is not allowed to take place during this special training day.

Cons

IT infrastructure is appallingly bad. The hardware is bad. The computers are slow, flitchy, and routinely crash, significantly impeding work productivity. We have all gotten in the habit of routinely saving our work every 3 minutes to avoid losing work to crashes. New joiners are commonly given old machines in a bad state of disrepair, further exacerbating the problem. The network is appallingly slow. It takes... too long to send and receive e-mail, and too long to transfer files to the network, again significantly impeding productivity. Frankly, given L.E.K.’s stature as one of the world’s top strategy consulting firms, I am shocked at the state of the IT infrastructure. Furthermore, there does not seem to be any motivation within the company to do anything about it. We are routinely given the opportunity to provide feedback on IT (i.e. through internet surveys, one-to-one meetings with IT personnel) and nothing ever improves.

L.E.K. Consulting2019-11-06

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo

I have been working at L.E.K. Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair performance review and regular promotion cycle (4 times a year) Strong in healthcare and life science industry Good compensation Smart colleagues with high professionalism

Cons

Tokyo office is still small in size which limits the flexibility of project allocation, etc.

L.E.K. Consulting2019-10-25

Discover more reviews about L.E.K. Consulting.