1. "A job that is as good as you make it"

4.0
    Current Employee - Bar and Kitchen Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Plenty of hours available- the better your pub performs, the more hours become available. Shifts are usually flexible, and depending on the situation you can often swap shifts with colleagues to make rotas more beneficial. Give and take- if you're willing to help out by staying later and covering shifts, the favour will usually be repaid leading to a more positive work environment. Training- the training schemes are good for those with little to no experience in food hygiene/customer service. However there are extremely detailed sops and product specifications which are invaluable to learning and providing good service. Benefits- the on/off duty food discount is invaluable for those in a low paid role. Working in the pub, you know exactly what you are getting for your money. Upper management are very hands on. There is a general fear of area managers instilled in basic staff but once you realise they are just trying to improve the pub it is easier to work together. Very good starting pay considering low level experience required for most roles.

Cons

Favouritism- personally I have seen there is a degree of favouritism which leads to some people getting away with behaviour or practise others would be disciplined for. Unsociable hours- with pubs that are open to the public from 8am to midnight most days (not including coming in at 6am to open the kitchen for example) it can be difficult to balance a life around the role. Promotion can be difficult due to space available and needs of the business, but you can usually move to a different local pub to progress. The company want you to progress- better trained staff = more efficiency. As stated above the training is quite basic for someone with prior experience in catering, and very few managers are 100% certain of specs or sops. There are also some dodgy managers (as in any industry) but they rarely last long once HO find out what is happening in the pub.

J D Wetherspoon Response

January 12, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to give feedback directly to your manager if you think there are improvements to be made.

"Business Manager"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Great work and co-workers. Challenging, but satisfying way to grow professionally . This job will stretch you! I enjoy the work but wait for the cons.

Cons

Management lack of people skills. Although good business acumen, management treats employees like crap. No coaching skills at all.. many have moved on because of treatment.

"Horrendous"

1.0
    Team Leader in Wakefield, MA

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

Gained friendships. Money off food on shift. You're always busy..

Cons

Zero hours contract so one week I could earn an amazing amount and the next be so broke I can't afford transport to and from work. Taxis as I did a lot of late shifts. Management allow bullying to take place. Management are supposed to back you up if someone is drunk or rude etc.. but in my experience they haven't done this at all. Promised the world promotion wise and they gave someone else the job that was lined up for me. Made me do kitchen training when it wasn't needed or even noted down. Expect to be spoken to like rubbish from customers, staff members and management. Very long shifts if staff decide to not turn up or get drunk the night before (this happens ALOT)

J D Wetherspoon Response

April 18, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your comments, we will pass your all of them on for further discussion and investigation. Just to pick up on your feedback around hours, we do not work with zero hour contracts at all as a company, we agree a minimum guaranteed hours when we employ to minimise the fluctuation in hours.

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.