Emerald Publishing - Struggles with IT leadership and management | Glassdoor.ie

"Struggles with IT leadership and management"

Current Employee - I T in Bingley, England

I have been working at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible working, casual environment, good collaboration spaces.

Cons

In the past 5-6 years, Emerald has gone through as many IT Directors and CTOs. We're left with a head that's a perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. It doesn't help that the company has a habit of recruiting people into technical management roles who have either only ever worked at one other company all their life and don't have a range of experience or people who just happened to stumble into IT management after studying something completely irrelevant like History. We end up with career-manager with no relevant technical experience who never actually held a technical position and don't actually understand much but can string enough trendy buzzwords together to appear coherent. There have been far too many highly questionable decisions made on people, processes and technology that all respect has been lost by team members. But that's covered up by what's called "perception management" and "managing upwards". We've lost a lot of good people over the last 12 months as a direct result of bad management of the department and lack of empathy for employees. It's now effectively a kakistocracy. Fleeting gestures of support are empty and worthless. Strategic design elements have been outsourced because the senior incumbents are out of their depth and it's easier for them to get external parties to do it. This costs the company a hell of a lot more money and headaches further down the line. It does free them up though to write blog posts, present (badly) at conferences and focus on illusions dressed up as productivity and competence for board reports.

Advice to Management

Address the cons.

Emerald Publishing2019-07-02

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great company with great management"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very collegial atmosphere where ideas are welcomed. Great culture, very supportive of career development.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep delivering great value to customers.

Emerald Publishing2019-08-06

"A Terrible and Unfair Place to Work"

I worked at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I did not get paid to write this so I can be honest. There are so many fake positive reviews on the page. Can't think of any on the top of my head.

Cons

This place has a bad reputation, inside and out. No one in the publishing world knows about this company. It is not well respected and brand recognition will never be strong enough to keep them in business for another 50 years. The turnover rate is incredibly high. A person is let go or leaves at their own will every other week, leaving other employees feeling unsafe. People are generally unhappy here and upper management does not fix the problem to retain talent. The company sends out surveys for feedback and will only post positive reviews. It's propaganda. For a company that prides itself on mental health, they can't walk the talk. Most of the employees here find work/life balance to be very difficult and HR doesn't do anything about it. People go on "stress leave" all the time. The HR team is a joke. Emerald has a horrible time admitting they are wrong. There is a lack of transparency on why people are let go and management cover up the situation to make themselves look good. People leave at their own volition after they find out how dysfunctional and unfair compensation is compared to competitors in the industry. It's not only the compensation that is horrible but the terrible people you have to put up with on a daily basis. It's truly a dehumanizing workplace filled with tone-deaf, stubborn, and talentless board members that have been managing the place for 20+ years. It is not a respected publisher or well-known publisher to work with. It is hands down the most dysfunctional, political, and unethical workplace I've ever worked in. The people at the top drink the water to keep the dysfunction together. Author or editors shouldn't even go through Emerald to get their book published because they will not get the proper marketing the talent deserves. Working at the company feels like seeing your dysfunctional family on Thanksgiving every week. It's stressful for absolutely no reason. All in all, I would avoid this place at all costs. You will sell your soul. This company needs a blessing.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your people - Talk the walk - Improve company culture by making it a fair workplace - Hire people of color and make your diversity initiative a real thing rather than talking about it all the time - Move the headquarters to somewhere that holds more talent. Hard to recruit people when you're in the middle of nowhere: Bingley.

Emerald Publishing2019-04-16

Discover more reviews about Emerald Publishing.