"Pick another school"

1.0
    Current Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher in Jiaxing
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paperwork once you land is mostly done for you.

Cons

From worst to least worst: * EF Management will not keep their word. I worked there for 9 months then put in my two months notice and even have screenshots of my DoS saying my work visa would be transferred to my new school. EF waited until my last week to tell me they, and the investors, were refusing to transfer my work visa and I’d have to return to the USA in a few days or I’d be in the country illegally and face jail time. I am now in the US. * EF will go behind your back and cancel your permits without your consent or knowledge but inform you last minute. * You aren’t actually trained but are instructed to observe a fellow teacher and after a week begin co- teaching then receive the classes from the teacher who left before you. I went without a Senior Teacher observing me ever for 8 months and received no feedback. * The curriculum is very slow moving and poorly planned. Students in Small Stars (whether in Blue, A,B, or C) will learn to parrot questions and answers but aren’t actually learning how to have a conversation. It’s almost as if the authors of the curriculum spread out a course book over several courses and levels. Students in Small Stars, version 2.0 or 3.0, will learn the “what is it? It’s a ___” structure and really only two other structures which are “do you like____? Yes I do / no I don’t” and “how many___? 3 ___”. They can’t actually ask a native English speaker about themselves but they can ask “what time do you go home in the evening?” Even after going from Small Stars Blue through Small Stars C. It’s not conducive to interacting with native English speakers or foreigners. * The schedule for the following week will be made Sunday evening or even Monday of that week. * Newest teachers will be assigned Marketing Events due to their free schedule. Marketing at EF Jiaxing was a nightmare where I would speak to someone a week prior about an event I was assigned to only to be told nothing was needed of me except my attendance and participation. Come the day of the marketing team member would frantically ask me to prepare something like a report to read students or flash cards for a recent holiday then tell me the event isn’t 30 minutes as on my schedule but two hours. Also it isn’t in the center anymore it’s at a library on a stage. * The weekly workshops at EF Jiaxing contain no development or educational value. They are workshops for 3 hours that contain menial tasks corporate didn’t want to bother with and handed them down the ladder.

Continue reading

"I love this company"

5.0
    Current Freelancer - Adult Education Teacher

I have been working at EF English First for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible schedule, good management, freedom to work at own pace

Cons

Pay is on the lower side

Continue reading

EF English First Response

Vice President

We love to hear that you love EF and we are glad to see that you’ve been with us for so long! We strive to offer quality resources to our teachers by providing consistent support, classes and innovations in the classroom. And while we know we don’t offer the highest pay in the market, we hope that you see the value of getting regular classes, which allows you to earn a stable income. A bonus is that you get to work with motivated students from across the globe while earning. Thank you again for your feedback.

2. "Supportive English Teaching Company"

4.0
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great support to help establish your life in China, good pay in relation to the living expenses, help with the visa process, weekly teacher training, opportunities for growth and sponsorships to pursue further education

Cons

Weekends are your busiest days with Mon/Tue or Tue/Wed being your days off; heavily stacked class schedules; schedules constantly shifting

Discover more reviews about EF English First.