"Don't waste your time working a month without pay..."

1.0
    Former Employee - Online ESL Teacher
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at EF English First part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, work-from-home, exposure to unique people from around the world

Cons

You have to work two months before pay because they only pay monthly and you have to wait until the following month for your first paycheck. It started off nice and I felt like I was doing well when all of a sudden, they stopped adding classes to my schedule and my friend's despite us having high-scores as teachers even though classes were available, they just decided to phase us out. My friend and I opened EVERY time slot on both of our calendars and not one class was given to us for a full month. When we reached out, people stopped responding to us, acted like we didn't exist and then pretended like we were fired, when we were flat-out ignored. I attempted to reapply recently, as now I am even more qualified than when I worked there (teaching classes) for 7 months in 2017, but on paper, it was about a year. They denied that I was eligible and did not offer an explanation, even though they were hiring and I have a bachelor's degree, former experience with EF, high student remarks, 120-hour TEFL certification, and I have taught ESL for 3 years in total. What a joke! Do NOT WASTE YOUR TIME for two months before pay and to be treated like you are replaceable.

Continue reading

EF English First Response

June 3, 2019Vice President

Thanks for leaving a review of your experience working online with EF. Regarding your comments about pay, it’s required that teachers teach for a month, then submit their invoice after that month closes and teachers are paid thereafter. Class assignment is contingent upon student demand, which can vary. Teachers are always welcome to pick up subclasses or schedule classes directly with their repeat students to supplement the classes that go onto their schedule via the assignment process, which is performed by an automated tool that matches teacher availability with student demand for classes.

1. "I love this company"

5.0
    Current Freelancer - Adult Education Teacher

I have been working at EF English First for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible schedule, good management, freedom to work at own pace

Cons

Pay is on the lower side

Continue reading

EF English First Response

May 15, 2020Vice President

We love to hear that you love EF and we are glad to see that you’ve been with us for so long! We strive to offer quality resources to our teachers by providing consistent support, classes and innovations in the classroom. And while we know we don’t offer the highest pay in the market, we hope that you see the value of getting regular classes, which allows you to earn a stable income. A bonus is that you get to work with motivated students from across the globe while earning. Thank you again for your feedback.

2. "ok"

4.0
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Japan, PA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

good location, nice worker and atmosphere

Cons

leverage low salaries, not good promotion

Discover more reviews about EF English First.