"A sustainable, low pressure gig"

4.0
    Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Buenos Aires
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I moved to this job from being a classroom teacher as my last employer didn't pay my wages for four months. English Online constituted more stable employment, a better rate of pay and the end of unpaid work (marking exams, lesson planning, data entry). It took 6-8 months to feel really comfortable with it, but since then I've felt very comfortable in the online classroom. The pattern of teaching for 40-45 minutes and having the rest of the hour to complete an evaluation form is sustainable. Other online platforms offer much shorter breaks, and the accumulated stress takes its toll eventually, even if they pay a bit better. I am able to develop good relationships with one-on-one students, sometimes up to 100 classes over more than a year. It is difficult to get that kind of student loyalty working as an independent teacher. Teachers are paid via Payoneer, which works well. I am able to send money to my bank account in my home country or the country where I live. Payoneer seems to charge for currency exchange but not for a simple transaction in USD. It may be a good idea to set up your own Payoneer account before you add English Live as a payee, in order to have the full range of payment options. A few times, I have tried to move to other platforms and it didn't work out. English Live has allowed me to return to my old job on each occasion.

Cons

Online teaching is not quite as much fun as working in a real classroom. Punishments, such as a reduction in scheduling priority, for breaking the rules e.g. deleting schedules so you can do better paid work for another company, are administered silently. You are not notified of specifically what you did wrong, how much you are being punished or for how long. Responses via Contact Us are often disinterested and occasionally quite rude. The variable pay day from the 16th to the 25th of month is pretty unbearable. Some online platforms are able to pay on the 15th every month. Others pay weekly. The evaluation system means that anything less than a five-star evaluation or no evaluation is bad news. A bad tempered student can smash your evaluation average with one hit, without having to explain themselves.

Continue reading

EF Education First Response

November 4, 2019Director

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you enjoy working as an online teacher and we as well hope for the platform to be rolled out shortly. Best regards,

1. COVID-19

"Amazing team"

5.0

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing team and work life balance. Insurance is best I’ve ever had.

Cons

School had to close down due to covid19

EF Education First Response

May 20, 2020Vice President of Recruitment and Employee Development

So glad to hear you enjoyed the team and work/life balance - our people are most certainly our best asset, and work/life balance is very important to our culture. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

"Great Company, Hard Job"

4.0
    Former Intern - Travel Support Specialist in Cambridge, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Loved the company culture, coworkers and perks

Cons

Starting salary is extremely low for such a profitable company, everyone shows up early and stays late without getting paid

Discover more reviews about EF Education First.