EF Education First - A sustainable, low pressure gig | Glassdoor.ie
  1. "A sustainable, low pressure gig"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Buenos Aires
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I moved to this job from being a classroom teacher as my last employer didn't pay my wages for four months. English Online constituted more stable employment, a better rate of pay and the end of unpaid work (marking exams, lesson planning, data entry). It took 6-8 months to feel really comfortable with it, but since then I've felt very comfortable in the online classroom. The pattern of teaching for 40-45 minutes and having the rest of the hour to complete an evaluation form is sustainable. Other online platforms offer much shorter breaks, and the accumulated stress takes its toll eventually, even if they pay a bit better. I am able to develop good relationships with one-on-one students, sometimes up to 100 classes over more than a year. It is difficult to get that kind of student loyalty working as an independent teacher. Teachers are paid via Payoneer, which works well. I am able to send money to my bank account in my home country or the country where I live. Payoneer seems to charge for currency exchange but not for a simple transaction in USD. It may be a good idea to set up your own Payoneer account before you add English Live as a payee, in order to have the full range of payment options. A few times, I have tried to move to other platforms and it didn't work out. English Live has allowed me to return to my old job on each occasion.

Cons

Online teaching is not quite as much fun as working in a real classroom. Punishments, such as a reduction in scheduling priority, for breaking the rules e.g. deleting schedules so you can do better paid work for another company, are administered silently. You are not notified of specifically what you did wrong, how much you are being punished or for how long. Responses via Contact Us are often disinterested and occasionally quite rude. The variable pay day from the 16th to the 25th of month is pretty unbearable. Some online platforms are able to pay on the 15th every month. Others pay weekly. The evaluation system means that anything less than a five-star evaluation or no evaluation is bad news. A bad tempered student can smash your evaluation average with one hit, without having to explain themselves.

Advice to Management

I would not presume to advise the management on any issue, but I do hope that the kids platform is fully rolled out quite soon.

EF Education First2019-10-30
  1. "Intern Review"

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Free coffee Everyone is super helpful and kind People definitely want to make a difference here

Cons

I can not think of any cons currently.

EF Education First2020-01-12
  2. "Great place to work if you are a recent Graduate"

Former Employee - Program Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun company culture, especially for recent graduates who need time to figure out what they want. Everyone loves to travel and build new friendships and this a cool place for that. You have to be a go-getter and be willing to stick it out in order to be successful there. It is a sales-driven company so you should be open to that. You get to travel, which is an amazing perk!

Cons

As much as it is a fun place to work for recent graduates, upper management can sometimes not take you seriously because you are so young. Often times there is not a lot of space for young professionals to advocate for themselves and feel supported. However, this does depend on which product you are in.

Advice to Management

Take the young people you hire seriously and coach them because you care about their professional development, creativity, and leadership potential

EF Education First2020-01-15

Discover more reviews about EF Education First.