"Forget about quality work, career growth and the CEO lacks skill and integrity"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Clarity Ventures full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with nice people in Austin, TX but if you want to be proud of your work, then do not work here.

Cons

When you get hired, you're told that you're going to get a salary, but in fact, you are paid based on hours clocked on projects. You're expected to be there all day though, while you're not getting paid. The training and opportunities are a joke. The CEO has absolutely no integrity and treats people with disrespect and there is a lot of toxic behavior trickling down. The upper management are trying to generate positive reviews on here as well as keep sales coming in as clients are dropping. Feels like a used car lot. Most of their clients are not happy despite what they will claim. Clarity Ventures is a failed .com age startup that makes cookie-cutter websites and it is only still around because the CEO was backed by rich parents. He started Clarity right out of college and has no prior experience. The more you dig into the past, the more you find out that this place is just a spoiled kids' fantasy of being a venture capitalist. For example, developers are constantly quitting after short periods of time because of the CEO's behavior and sales tactics which put everyone in a hard spot. A lot of drama.

Clarity Ventures Response

June 30, 2017CEO

Thank you for sharing a review with us. We're disappointed that things didn't work out better and will take your thoughts as an opportunity to review and improve. In general most of the statements shared in the post appear to be related to a period of time in the past that isn't accurately conveyed and the notes about not getting paid a salary are simply not true (see much more detailed responses in other replies below!). With that said, we still very much want to improve our training process and it's always possible for us to improve on clarifying the opportunities within the company and allowing the team to move toward the areas that align with their career goals. The statements about management being toxic and having integrity issues are very serious claims and I'd be very interested to find out more about what you saw that gave you that impression. If you'd be willing to share you're welcome to email me directly at chris (at) clarity-ventures.com or setup a time to discuss via phone or get coffee, etc. With that said, we're constantly improving the company culture and alignment with company values that we take very seriously. So of course, any feedback to further resolve any issues you saw in your time here would be much appreciated. With regards to Client retention, we simply haven't had the dropping of Clients/happiness of Client issues as described either. Again though, we'd love more information and will take this general feedback as an opportunity to reflect and reinforce areas that are working and evaluate areas that aren't with regards to service and support. As a fundamental offering of our business, service and support - and in general, how happy our Clients are - is absolutely an underpinning requirement for our business to succeed and for our team to go home at night feeling good about what they're doing. We're not perfect at this and will always keep working on improving. In my (very biased) opinion, the statements about rich parents is very true. They are rich in character, not wealthy financially though (I think that has been a massive blessing in disguise!). Not-withstanding that, the fact that you personally got that impression that I'm a spoiled rich kid is very helpful feedback as I can improve with how humble I am about the opportunity and how myself and the management team celebrate our successes with the team. I was certainly spoiled by some amazing parents who value hard work, integrity and working for something more than financial gain, and I can only hope to exhibit those values more and more within my role at Clarity. Finally, thanks for pointing out the concerns you had about sales and developers at Clarity. Although this is a constant point of potential friction, it's certainly not the scenario described in your feedback. However, it's a great reminder that potential friction can come from our sales and marketing not being as clear as humanly possible about our strengths and weaknesses. By no means is there zero friction at Clarity in this area so we can always improve here. In addition, we can improve our internal processes of estimating and ball-parking for Clients too so we're providing more and more accuracy as we mature our services and product offerings. We sincerely hope you find a good, long-term team to work with and are disappointed when things don't work out. Clearly there were some substantial misunderstandings and issues that weren't resolved and we'd welcome your more specific feedback and interaction with you to sort those out if you'd like. Otherwise, on behalf of myself and the rest of the leadership at Clarity, thank you for taking time to help share areas we can continue to improve on and we wish you all the best with your career.

Other Employee Reviews

1. COVID-19

"Clarity Venture, A Great Place to Work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Clarity Ventures full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working full time at Clarity Ventures for 6 months starting at the beginning of the COVID 19 pandemic but, I was also a client for over a year and a half. I have had the unique position to see this company from the client and employee perspective. I have witnessed many changes at Clarity for the better. They have transformed from a small development company to a more mature software company and they are on their way to transforming to an enterprise-level company. Clarity has always provided good solid development with a focus on giving the customer needs. What sets Clarity above the rest is their commitment to the client, employee, and company. Clarity operates on a level of integrity not found in most other companies. Clarity also has a very involved but hands-off board of directors. The board's focus is one, grooming the CEO into the best leader possible, two grooming the employees to continually wanting to grow and third to grow the business. I have never witnessed a board with a focus on grooming its CEO. This level of mentorship shows and it is then passed on to the Clarity Team and clients. I joined Clarity because I believe in their leadership, product, and company. I stated earlier, that I started at the beginning of the pandemic and unfortunately was furloughed shortly after starting. During this time period, Clarity stayed in touch and offered assistance to me and my family. They made a tough situation survivable and 4 weeks later was able to return back to work as a full-time employee. There are several negative comments that have been reported in previous reviews and I will explain why, in my opinion. Clarity operates as a family where everyone is expected to contribute and everyone is rewarded. You cannot work at Clarity as a team of one, it just doesn't work. Your success is based on the success and failure of the team as a whole. If you come to work at Clarity and try to operate as a team of one only looking out for yourself you will find it very challenging. The CEO makes it very clear, we are all in this together and strives to provide an environment where everyone can succeed. I think Clarity is a very good place to work with challenges and growing pains like any other company. The difference is from the board down to the junior PM's and developers, we are in this together. We will succeed or fail but, we will to it as one team.

Cons

It does take time to learn the culture and process

2. "Very good"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Front End Developer and Python Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Clarity Ventures full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing special to say about them.

Cons

Just like any other company.

Discover more reviews about Clarity Ventures.