Barchester Healthcare - It is a company made only for money! Bathester Ireland | Glassdoor.ie

"It is a company made only for money! Bathester Ireland"

Former Employee - Pre-Reg and Staff Nurse in Trim
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros... The pros are the residents! They have been lovely! They made me stay that long. Some of staff were nice too.

Cons

Now. Here are a lot. 1They were bullying me. Yes. I felt bullied and I was lots of time treat like garbage. 2 I came in december 2015 working as a pre reg nurse. In that time, until I recieved my PIN I was treated like no one there. One day working as a carrer and next day doing nothing as a pre reg. I understant the stupid law that not alows you give meds until you have your PIN, but still. Who the hell need in... 2016 a PIN number and a special signature for a stupid Paracetamol? 3 Management. They just have no ideea about what is the job. They need about a full month to finish a rooster. I have to mention that sometimes we recived the rooster only 2 days before to start. Stupid. Management doesn't give a crap on what you think or what you need. All they care about is what they need. 4 Lack of staff. The biggest turnover I've ever seen all my life. Over 30 staff leaving and comming in the last 6 months. 5 Management advised people to talk to "best nurses" when they were complaining. That came from us, not the best nurses when adviced people to think. Management makes huge differences between people there. 6 Lots of infection possibilities. Sometimes NO gloves. Don't have to mention that during a huge "bug" made the place close for quarantine about 3 weeks. That time the staff didn't have any protection, only the gloves. No masks or any clothes to keep yourself safe. 7 Salaries, I had 18.50 promised as full time nurse. The contract said that very clear. During my pre reg period I was paid with 12.50 euros. Way to much for what I've been doing. The carrers are paid by 9.88/h. During my pre reg period, I went on anual leave. Before to go, I recived my PIN. Guess what. They told me that my 18.50 is starting when I go back. Not the same as in contract. 8 The last thing, I gave them my resignation letter, with exactly the notice period of the time they asked. After that they were calling me, begging to do 2 more weeks. I said yes. After first week when I decided to work 3 days, only worked 2, I left. I had some problems and I had to leave. Now, because I had under a full year I still had to pay them back 28 hours. Worked those 2 days. The problem is that I did not recived any payments for them. Just because I did not went there for another week. That was so childish. I was laughing around about that. Now, I intent to sue them because of the payment during my A/L and for the bully I was reciving there.

Advice to Management

There is nothing you can do. In your place mr, I would be ashamed. It is sad. Just because of those nice residents you have!

Barchester Healthcare2016-09-13
  1. "good employer"

Former Employee - General-Manager in Cheshire, CT

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

supportive line management and good staff engagement

Cons

high fees but not great staffing levels

Barchester Healthcare2019-12-06

"Current CEO and senior management couldn't care less"

Former Employee - Ops Manager in National City, CA

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I struggle to find anything positive to say anymore. Barchester used to employ superb people but they have all had enough and are leaving in droves. They used to have a brilliant reputation, the management structure was flat, everyone felt that they were part of something special. Not any more. It's all about profit now. Nothing else seems to matter to the current CEO.

Cons

Barchester used to make the 25 Best Big Companies list every year. But they won't get it again. Staff no longer feel valued. Promises are made to new staff but it's all a con. Attrition rates are shocking. The Business School no longer exists and staff development is a joke as the company has slashed its L&D budget yet Barchester continues to claim that their career training is the best in the business. The current... board and senior managers have established a hierarchical dictatorship akin to a 1980's corporation which seeks to treat its middle managers like mushrooms.

Advice to Management

Barchester deserves a CEO who's in it for the long haul and cares about the company. Get rid of the so called 'transformation team' and appoint senior managers who care about barchester and its staff. Head Office is full of newly appointed directors with CV's that demonstrate serious job hopping; Barchester is just another notch on their LinkedIn profiles.

Barchester Healthcare2015-11-01

Discover more reviews about Barchester Healthcare.