Bain & Company - Bain Capability Center (of politics & lack of merit) | Glassdoor.ie

"Bain Capability Center (of politics & lack of merit)"

Former Employee - Project Leader in Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bain brand and exposure to Bain projects/ methodology

Cons

The Group Managers need to have some experience of working in the domain. None of them have Masters degree from tier1/2 college, then why hire associates/ project leader from such colleges . If you are a MBA, don't join BCC. Politics within the organization was at peak when I left. Favoritism for those who back there bosses - sycophancy will give you accelerated promotion.

Advice to Management

Advice to the BOSS from US - it's time to churn GMs who have completed 10 years in the organization so that fresh ideas flow in and ends the nexus..

Bain & Company2019-04-26

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates... and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take... a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

Bain & Company2015-10-06

Bain & Company Response

September 27, 2016Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

2. "Fabulous place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely supportive and collaborative environment

Cons

The work is complicated and difficult because we're solving incredibly complex issues

Bain & Company2019-10-12

Discover more reviews about Bain & Company.