"Unfortunately Overworked"

4.0
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant II in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing flight benefits - it was a great way to explore the world!

Cons

I worked for AA in the administration department in PHX & transferred to ORD 2 years ago. This transition was like night & day. When I first started with the company, I had every intention of retiring with them - that is how much I believed in the company’s mission “going for greAAt”. Everyone in PHX that I worked with displayed this mentality & it reflected in a collaborative team work environment. Although the work expected didn’t align with the pay they offer, that aspect didn’t bother me so much since I always felt they offered AMAZING benefits. Unfortunately, the company morale from PHX isn’t consistent with how ORD is run. Fast forward to life at ORD - the only reason why I choose to leave the company. During my short 2 year career in Chicago, I’ve grown to realize how the Administration Management staff didn’t utilize their resources available, nor did they offer any career development/goals. There was no team collaboration, and most importantly no type of support in my current roll within the Admin department. Monthly meetings were cancelled for more than a year, innovational ideas weren’t entertained, nor was there any flexibility with our schedules. Although I was given a position I didn’t even apply for, I thrived in it. Management saw this & continued to delegate more & more tasks making my current workload biased & unreasonable. When I started to feel the “burn out” I asked for assistance. To my surprise, management wouldn’t provide any. I was laughed at & told that “I had everything under control & it didn’t seem like I needed any help”. So I continued to thrive & make the most of everyday. After-all, where could I find another job with such great benefits? Less than a month ago, we had a death in the family. I made the choice to separate from the company when I was told by management that my absences would be counted as unauthorized since I needed more than 3 days to grieve. This wasn’t the culture that I knew to be true at American & choose to no longer subject myself to these type of working conditions. I get this is how most major corporations function, but their motto “going for greAAt” should be instilled within their Management & displayed consistently regardless of which department/HUB they’re from.

Continue reading
  1. "Professional and Realistic"

5.0
    Current Employee - First Officer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Reconfiguring bases and aircraft creates a lot of uncertainty

2. "it's been many many years but it was a great company to work for in the 90s"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newark, NJ

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people, top notch training (DFW for 4 weeks), promotion availability, travel benefits

Cons

minimal pay for the workload and expectation

Discover more reviews about American Airlines.