American Airlines - Unfortunately Overworked | Glassdoor.ie

"Unfortunately Overworked"

Former Employee - Staff Assistant II in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing flight benefits - it was a great way to explore the world!

Cons

I worked for AA in the administration department in PHX & transferred to ORD 2 years ago. This transition was like night & day. When I first started with the company, I had every intention of retiring with them - that is how much I believed in the company’s mission “going for greAAt”. Everyone in PHX that I worked with displayed this mentality & it reflected in a collaborative team work environment.... Although the work expected didn’t align with the pay they offer, that aspect didn’t bother me so much since I always felt they offered AMAZING benefits. Unfortunately, the company morale from PHX isn’t consistent with how ORD is run. Fast forward to life at ORD - the only reason why I choose to leave the company. During my short 2 year career in Chicago, I’ve grown to realize how the Administration Management staff didn’t utilize their resources available, nor did they offer any career development/goals. There was no team collaboration, and most importantly no type of support in my current roll within the Admin department. Monthly meetings were cancelled for more than a year, innovational ideas weren’t entertained, nor was there any flexibility with our schedules. Although I was given a position I didn’t even apply for, I thrived in it. Management saw this & continued to delegate more & more tasks making my current workload biased & unreasonable. When I started to feel the “burn out” I asked for assistance. To my surprise, management wouldn’t provide any. I was laughed at & told that “I had everything under control & it didn’t seem like I needed any help”. So I continued to thrive & make the most of everyday. After-all, where could I find another job with such great benefits? Less than a month ago, we had a death in the family. I made the choice to separate from the company when I was told by management that my absences would be counted as unauthorized since I needed more than 3 days to grieve. This wasn’t the culture that I knew to be true at American & choose to no longer subject myself to these type of working conditions. I get this is how most major corporations function, but their motto “going for greAAt” should be instilled within their Management & displayed consistently regardless of which department/HUB they’re from.

Advice to Management

To Management, Thank you for the opportunity to learn and grow; thank you for opening up my heart to things I never knew I could do. It’s unfortunate that due to “re-organization” you lost sight of what matters most - team work. Team work really does make the dream work & I genuinely hope that you can learn to foster a collaborative, unbiased work environment. Myself as well as my colleagues felt the burn out... & I know it would be greatly appreciated if the feedback provided to you annually was acted on. I wish you all the best of luck!

American Airlines2019-11-13
  1. "Why would you work for American Airlines"

Current Employee - Fleet Service Clerk in San Jose, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at American Airlines part-time for more than a year

Pros

Job security Benefits Fun environment

Cons

Weather Management is too strict Favoritism No growth in San Jose for ramp Small station

Advice to Management

Avoid favoritism

American Airlines2019-11-29
  2. "Love my job"

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Dallas, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Plenty of work or management opportunity choices

Cons

Multiple layers of hierarchy

Advice to Management

They’d be more in touch if they’d experience day to day Opps. In real time unfiltered.

American Airlines2019-12-09

Discover more reviews about American Airlines.