Alexa Internet - Friendly people, established history, and startup environment. | Glassdoor.ie

"Friendly people, established history, and startup environment."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Alexa Internet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Alexa’s history is impressive. It’s completely evolved since it’s inception in 1996 from simply “the Alexa Rank” into a truly valuable suite of SEO and content marketing tools. Being a part of that evolution amidst a crowded, competitive digital marketing space is really exciting. As a previous reviewer noted, Alexa runs with an entrepreneurial spirit while also maintaining organizational stability. It’s small... team that moves quickly, but in a flexible, good-natured working environment with really robust employee benefits. Many of its employees have been there since the early years—smart, savvy, individuals who are real team players. I have always felt respected, like I have a voice, and can make an impact. Additionally, the flatter organizational structure of the team means lots of opportunity for non-senior employees to take on more responsibility and be very hands on. This aspect of the company has played a really positive role in my professional growth, setting a solid foundation for my career. I think there’s a lot of growth potential for Alexa, and have enjoyed being a part of a team that gets things done with determination and a good attitude. In sum: -Friendly team -Flexible working environment -Opportunity to be hands on, assume more responsibility -Always new projects, lots of potential -Great work/life balance and benefits

Cons

Stretched resources is common problem for small teams. Despite a desire to always move quickly, having to diligently prioritize is the reality. Also, operating by Amazon standards can mean extra hoops or limitations when it comes to certain projects. This fosters resourcefulness, but can be very frustrating. At times it has felt like trying to moving too fast has compromised product quality and customer... experience. It’s true that sometimes perfect can be the enemy of the good, stifling progress, but I would like to see the team build in more time to really optimize the tools we have rather than hurrying off to build something new.

Alexa Internet2019-08-14

Other Employee Reviews

1. "From good to bad - The perfect example of an Amazon Company"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Alexa Internet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Only a few good people. It will depend on who is your boss, it goes from great to seriously bad.

Cons

Bad management, they are about 25 people total and there are layers of managers and directors for what? Very disrespectful environment (the very least that can be said), a HR nightmare.

Advice to Management

Move to Seattle

Alexa Internet2019-07-18

"Friendly, fast paced and technically challenging workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Alexa Internet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Alexa Internet is one of the hidden gems of Bay Area. Alexa has fast paced yet friendly atmosphere with some of the smartest and nicest people. Alexa culture encourages everyone to discuss and debate on technical ideas. They have built excellent internal tools to accelerate their development cycle and manage their AWS stack. All engineering managers at Alexa have strong technical experience. I was fortunate to... be part of DevOps team where our manager provided good technical leadership and also filled in engineering responsibilities. This is a huge plus at Alexa.

Cons

Not really a contra, but something nice to have: It would be great if company had/has some Work From Home type policy like many other Bay Area companies have.

Alexa Internet2016-12-05

Discover more reviews about Alexa Internet.