ALISON - Best job of my life | Glassdoor.ie

"Best job of my life"

I have been working at ALISON full-time

Pros

The team is excellent. I've never worked with so many people I get along with. Work is innovative and knowing how much we change people's lives really makes you want to come to work in the morning. Good incremental pay raises, and career development opportunities. Lots of new technologies to work with and a very entrepreneurial and open approach to their adoption.

Cons

Offices are a bit cramped as they are hiring a lot of staff. Car parking is an issue. If you are in late you can never find a place.

Advice to Management

Get bigger offices

ALISON2016-09-26

Other Employee Reviews

"Lucky Guy"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Galway

I have been working at ALISON full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company - talented, hard-working and dedicated people from top to bottom - (not that there is much of a hierarchy here) - a nicer bunch of professionals would be hard to find. Company is growing with a strong vision and product pipeline for the future. Opportunity to grow - lots going on - new technologies being used all the time and good people to learn from.

Cons

Being single and from abroad, I'd like the company to be grow beyond the 40 or so staff it currently simply to improve my social life! Otherwise, this is somewhere I hope to stay long term.

Advice to Management

We have a great team - please keep that standard high and only hire the best!

ALISON2016-09-27

"Change is needed"

I worked at ALISON full-time

Pros

- Good place to start a career - Alison's idea of free education for all is an admirable goal. - Most of the staff are lovely. - Decent starting salary.

Cons

- Work can become very repetitive and monotonous. - No salary reviews after the initial six months. - No room for career development. - Often given work that had nothing to do with my job or area of expertise. - The CEO gets a new idea for a project, asks you to start working on it, then changes his mind when the work is almost completed - six weeks of work down the drain. I have seen this happen numerous times.... - Inconsistency among teams. If one team is allowed to change their working hours, these hours should be offered to other staff members if it doesn't affect the running of the business. - An employee working from home full-time should have the same workload as their fellow employees working in the office. If they cannot access the work, they shouldn't be working from home. There’s a terrible sense of “out of sight, out of mind” when it comes to allocating tasks. - Serious issues are ignored. An incident occurred where a staff member was verbally aggressive towards other employees, the manager didn't step in to diffuse the situation and when it was reported to HR, nothing was done about it. This created an uncomfortable working environment. - Employees working on the same team should get the same opportunities; one employee was given a licence to work with some new software tools to enhance their work. This gave off a sense of favouritism as it was not offered to fellow employees despite them working there longer. - To outsiders, the CEO made out that the company was thriving – in reality, a third of staff were let go. This happened as they were updating the Alison website, it wasn’t ready for external audiences but despite concerns from staff testing the website, the CEO decided to let the website go live. They lost hundreds of learners because the site didn’t work, there was no pick-up after six months, and in turn, staff were let go.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.

ALISON2018-09-17

Discover more reviews about ALISON.