Emerald Publishing Reviews

Updated 24 Jul 2020

3.2
Emerald Publishing CEO Vicky Williams (no image)
Vicky Williams
  1. "Very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Content Editor

I have been working at Emerald Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company benefits, everyone is lovely, flexi-time, home working, good communication within company

Cons

The salary is on the lower side for what the job entails

2. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bingley, England

I have been working at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ambitious, purpose driven publisher trying to make a difference. Very good flexible Working, family orientated, care about employees. Ok holidays and pension. Great culture.

Cons

Try to do too much, too quickly and can make knee jerk decisions.

3. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are loads of pros to working at Emerald, including an on-site cafeteria and gym, a pool table and other games in the staff lounge and flexible working arrangements but for me it's the people that make the place.

Cons

If you don't drive or live near, it's not the easiest place to commute to.

Continue reading
  4. "Fantastic place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Publisher in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are so helpful and friendly Facilities like gym, cafe and lovely offices Very inclusive culture and genuinely wants to do better Lots of employee benefits Good holiday entitlement Reward and recognition Career opportunities

Cons

Sometimes the company is quick to make changes - sometimes these work and sometimes they don't. But I guess you could say that about any organisation?

"Willful ignorance"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some great people Decent perks

Cons

Brown-nose culture No integrity anywhere Disregard for meaningful measurements and metrics (in marketing team) Unwieldy, bureaucratic, parasite company

"Could be a great place to work, but..."

2.0

I worked at Emerald Publishing full-time

Pros

Some very smart, talented, and genuinely kind people are working here.

Cons

After a while you start to realize the people in leadership do not know what they are doing.

"Slowly going downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bingley, England

I worked at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible working - Good working hours and working from home allowed - Onsite facilities - Restaurant and Gym - Friendly staff - On the whole, but there can be cliques

Cons

- Awful internal politics which will cause the business issues in the future. - False "we're an amazing company" culture. 'Forced fun day' as people have nicknamed an afternoon where the staff are forced to pretend the company is hip, cool and really going places. However the reality is talented staff are leaving in droves or generally being poached whilst all complaining about the toxic culture (see other reviews), yet the head in sand approach is applied by the people team (aka HR). - Buzz word driven. "We're a data driven company" yet in reality 3/4 people work with data in a very small data/bi department, using either technology which badly needs updating or obscure technology which no one can work with or seem to have any desire to work with, this all results in poor data which managers need to make good business decisions, therefore not really a data driven approach at all. A great example are technologies like Marklogic which most people in the company view as a failed calamitous and expensive adventure; yet the company continues to bet its future on the technology with little or no ROI. - No substance people team. Half-baked mental health policy is a great example of this, box ticking to the outside world while ignoring the fact vast numbers of staff are off long term or with repeated bouts of stress. There are mental health first aiders, sadly however most are from the people team which don't converse with staff unless they are of a management level. - Not what you know but who you know promotions and shockingly bad appointments due to lack of candidates. Get yourself in with the family and you'll rise to the top regardless if you have any talent and quite often the company resorts to internal promotions not because they were the better candidates just purely due to lack of external applicants, yet sadly in most cases the internal candidate is not a good fit or capable of the role. - Completely clueless technology decisions. Heavily reliant on consultancy companies at great expense even for minor issues but more worryingly they'll take any external advice over their own internal tech teams and sweep under the carpet when the advice was either the same or didn't work out when implemented; also very behind the tech curve yet believe they're cutting edge. They've just completed a website move to AWS and act like they've put a man on the moon, yet ignore the fact this was needed due to a prior poor director led decision 4 years ago and now simply means they're 4-5 years behind all their competitors. - Staff who resist change. Quite a few managers, some of which have been in their roles over 20 years should really step aside as their resistant to change is definitely hampering the company's future goals. - CEO has failed in most positions and led some company acquisitions to the wall, yet lands the top job. She's also shielded from what's really happening by a gaggle of managers who simply tell her what she wants to hear. Open Access threat. This has blown the company's business model out of the water and the slow and cumbersome reaction to this has been embarrassing, poor leadership, poor decisions and puts the writing clearly on the wall the company is heading for troubled years ahead.

February 14, 2020Head of People Operations

Thank you for your detailed feedback, it’s really important that people feel comfortable to give us an honest account of their time with the business. We were really saddened and surprised that you referred to our annual employee get together as a ‘forced fun day’. This is a relaxed day, during working hours, with great food, drinks and activities and attendance is entirely optional. We have got wonderful feedback on this day from our colleagues in the past and everyone has the opportunity to get involved and influence what we do each year. We are also very proud of the genuine work we have done to support the physical and mental wellbeing of our employees and this remains a priority as we progress into 2020. The People Team and all other Mental Health First Aiders (over 20 people from across the business) are there to support all employees in their times of need and our ‘Let’s Talk About’ campaign continues to try and help to reduce any stigma that has previously been associated with challenges around talking about mental health. We have a rigorous but flexible recruitment process which we are always evolving and looking to improve. While we strive to support the development and progression of our internal colleagues, we also balance this with a steady stream of external fresh talent joining our business. Our People Team work hard to partner regularly with colleagues across our global business and being approachable and communicative is a very important part of their ethos. Our business vision and values are clearer and stronger than ever as we enter 2020 committing to continuing to make a real and positive impact in the world. We are proud of the work our colleagues have done to launch the platform and investment in technology continues to be a key priority. We will be continuing to help employees to understand the important role they play in delivering this. We are very disappointed and regretful to hear about your negative experience with Emerald and wish you all the best in your future career.

"A strange place to work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Management in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some nice individuals working there.

Cons

It’s a family owned business and is very antiquated as a consequence. It’s hugely hierarchical and some of the senior managers you really do wonder how they rise to their current positions! It’s a very Northern centric business. If you’re not a local you can really feel out of the loop.

October 25, 2019Head of People Operations

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, your feedback is very valuable to us. Emerald are extremely proud to be a family owned business and our culture is driven by our strong company values and long term thinking. We are also proud of our Northern roots alongside having a compelling and respected global presence. While our head office remains in West Yorkshire, we have employees based throughout the UK and around the world, working together every day. We embrace flexible ways of working in our business more than ever before and we continue to work to flatten our structure to ensure every colleagues voice is heard loudly and clearly. In addition, we are currently exploring ways we can continue to build our internal community, share ideas and collaborate effectively even where we are working in different locations. We are also proud of our high employee engagement levels and have a number of valued long serving colleagues. We do feel this is balanced with a steady stream of fresh talent joining us at all levels throughout our organisation. Thanks again for your feedback, we are always looking for ways to improve.

"Great benefits but they don’t make up for a dysfunctional workplace"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits Flexible working Fair salaries On site amenities Good underlying values (if they were adhered to)

Cons

Chaotic & cliquey senior management Meeting heavy culture that achieves very little Leadership easily influenced

October 25, 2019Head of People Operations

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, we are always looking for ways to improve and feedback is key! It’s great that you have mentioned the benefits we offer, we have worked hard to ensure we offer competitive benefits to reward and recognise our brilliant colleagues. We are particularly proud of the wellbeing initiatives we have introduced over the past few years, these include an onsite cafe, a free to use gym, free fruit for all and more recently a wellbeing room to give colleague the time and space to relax and unwind. We are also really pleased that we can support very flexible ways of working, investing in technology alongside supporting our employees to balance their personal and professional lives in a way that suits them as individuals. We have recognised that we have historically had a meeting heavy culture and have taken some bold steps to empower people to reduce the number of meetings they have. We are pleased to say we are already seeing positive results here. We appreciate your feedback on our leadership team, it is vitally important that our Leadership team are a strong and inspiring group and our Leaders invest regularly in self-refection and development. We encourage the group to work closely and collaboratively to drive delivery. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

10. "Great company with great management"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Emerald Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very collegial atmosphere where ideas are welcomed. Great culture, very supportive of career development.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Found 38 reviews