Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Dec 4, 2019

3.9
Elastic CEO Shay Banon
Shay Banon
Pros
  • "I wasn't a huge participant in the open-source world before joining Elastic, but I've really enjoyed getting more involved(in 24 reviews)

• "Company values allow for excellent work/life balance(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, no one is going to check to make sure you have work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• "Their hope is the open source model and its low entry price is going to drive enough potential demand for up-selling later to generate revenue(in 7 reviews)

"Sales review - YMMV"

Former Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Elastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health & Benefits are great, Flexible Schedule ELK Stack is a very well known tech in the market Elastic cares and community support is fun

Cons

I preface this list by saying I work in sales, and although some of the items may apply to others, I am writing this from the perspective of a remote field rep. YMMV in other roles. Company politics are plentiful. Over last few years have seen many people fired, promoted, and hired seemingly by who likes or dislikes them. Management takes feedback personally, and will openly criticize/berate you for voicing... independent ideas. Working remotely might be a pro, but it means your boss will expect you to answer at all hours of the day/night. I constantly get activity-related questions of what and when I am doing with my time, but management does not have any recommendations on KPIs that lead to more closed business. Also, the folks who do work in the offices will be treated more favorably as they develop relationships and work much closer to management. Contracts, Legal, Comp, Sales Ops, and others are openly hostile to sales. If/when I've asked questions on processes or sought approvals I've received mostly passive-aggressive directions to look for answers in the internal wiki. I have heard this complaint voiced by others on my team. It seems to me, that many in nonsales roles resent having salespeople around. Free, Free, Free. Elastic gives nearly every feature away for free. Not that selling on features is best... BUT when you are working a bottom-up (engineer focus) strategy and have mega competitors in every category, it would be nice to have a more defendable price point. Customers receive million$ in value from our freeware paying $0 in return. Most of the sales leaders are promoted from within and are more bosses than leaders. They seem to have no shortage of time when it comes to harassing reps on forecast updates, but have little to offer in terms of strategy, coaching, mentoring, prospecting, etc. The new quotas are very high in relation to deal size. The reps who are hitting their #'s are doing so through a few very large (10x sized) deals which blow out their numbers. The rest of the reps are struggling to even hit OTE. Year over year should not see decreased earnings. SJW & Overwhelming nonrelevant communication on company channels. Slack/Email/Chatter is full of COMPANY WIDE baby announcements, team updates, product sightings, arguments, gender pronoun conversations, personal stores of love for elastic, celebrations from different teams, etc. etc.. to the point where it is tough to keep track of what is relevant to your job. I have stopped even looking at emails except for customers & folks I know, as there isn't enough time to follow all the company "reply all" and slack channel conversations on irrelevant topics. ** depending on your disposition this may be a plus, but it is hurting our productivity. Elastic is not focused on sales (rem this is sales review you might be ok with this). - Services sell packages that are very expensive considering the lack of PM or SOW. The rate per hour (price/hours in the package) typically are much higher than other PS orgs. - Pricing is supposed to be disruptive but is often confusing to the market as different offerings are priced differently (node, instance, enterprise units) and features are not standardized across deployments. - Lackluster partner enablement, no onboarding program, no joint marketing, no partner boot camps, joint selling motions are confusing and lack enough incentive.

Advice to Management

Create a true SaaS experience by forgetting about the sizing and nodes that need to be deployed and focus on charging by use case or consumption-based pricing. Work on building up a true sales process that includes ICP, buyers journey, objection/competition handling and a step by step process from interest to close. Stop creating yes men/women in the management team and encourage new ideas focused on... execution. Sales are ethical, the better we do as a company the more lives who work at the company and are supported by the company are impacted. It is ok and ethical to be an aggressive sales organization. Time to take the gloves off fight our competitors and hold our customers accountable for the value they receive from us.

Elastic2019-11-20
  2. "Silicon Valley strikes again"

Current Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people are very nice

Cons

Some people make life hard for others

Advice to Management

Get rid of the mean people!

Elastic2019-11-11
  3. "Great opportunity that will challenge you at all levels"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Amsterdam

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great team and management striving to become #1 in all use cases - Best recruitment experience - fastest and to the point - Humble mindset. - Huge market to go after with a best of breed tech foundation - If you like to work with happy customers who are willing to learn and handwalked, this is the place to be. Most fun sales job I have worked at. - Quantity, quality, enthusiasm and loyalty of our customer... base - We drive business change in all levels at some of the best companies in the world - Ability to work in multiple use cases that allows to expand your career. APM, Data, Security etc - Great office in the middle of Amsterdam - Free healthy buffet lunch

Cons

- Complex technology that requires significant amount of understand to properly position. So either have the background or willingness to learn! - Immense growth, culture might be an issue however I do have confidence in the management. They are to the point and not cutting corners.

Advice to Management

- Keep focused on development and continue to only recruit the best of the best! - Pay attention to growth of employees with the growth of company.

4. "Great company"

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible and very young. Eager to grow and that's giving a great energy within this company. People including management helpful to guide you or have conversations around career progression. Very international feeling and one of the first companies I ever worked for with such a great Diversity mix. Not only that also inclusion is something I experience every day. It's an organisation that believes every individual... is part of the success of the company.

Cons

Till now I have not experienced any cons.

5. "Perfectly landed"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Amsterdam

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Just started as a User Success Manager at Elastic. Landing so far has been nothing but great, awesome colleagues, amazing office (including lunch), loads of learning opportunities and growth opportunities. Would recommend it to anyone!

Cons

Might be a bit overwhelming to have so much content and new people coming at you so quickly. Not a negative point but be prepared that the people at Elastic don't only play hard, working hard is (obviously) a big part of the company!

Advice to Management

Amsterdam office to become Rotterdam office!

Elastic2019-11-08

"Great product, awful management."

I worked at Elastic full-time

Pros

- Remote working - Catered lunches - Volunteer time off - Great product - Great beliefs

Cons

- Lousy management; some managers just do not have the capacity to be a manager. they just fear upper management and that cascades down onto you because of their mismanagement, hence the problem become yours, not because they set you up for failure. - Political - you always have to be brown nosing. - Favouritism - Don't walk the talk.

Advice to Management

Look into your mid-high management and ask yourself if these are actually good managers or leaders. Most of the time, they're not. they're just there to pretend they are just so they look good in front of the ELT team. I find that a lot of times, they work super hard but the results are meagre. They talk about their bottom up strategy, which is great and engaging but sometimes you also need to look at a bit of... expansion instead of always from your consistent pool. Most of the managers there just use their loud voice because they think that works. As usual with most tech firms - the loudest voice wins even though they may not necessarily be the best voice of reason.

Elastic2019-11-12

"In Sales? RUN FAR AWAY, inept leadership"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

401k matching is the ONLY pro I see here

Cons

This company was built on strong (free) product, and inbound business and it no longer works. The sales organization has no clue how to bring in business--- from SDRs to Enterprise Sales, this is the classic definition of "order takers". These people do not sell, they run around taking orders like they work at Burger King. As a person in sales, you'll take your leadership from marketing here. Sales... leadership is yanked around by marketing, it's EMBARASSING. If you ask sales leadership for help, or new ideas to get to HUGE targets, you get blank stares. Why? Because none of them have a clue how to bring in business. This goes all the way up to the top, the very people running sales strategy--- from pipeline to closed business. It's a total nightmare. Lots of people are running away. LOTS. Don't be fooled, don't join, it is truly horrible if you have any love of sales.

Advice to Management

Congratulations on having a product that sold itself, despite no sales strategy. Now that the market is demanding more value, you might want to learn how to start selling. From SDRs up to sales directors up to leaders.

Elastic2019-12-05
  8. "Superb company and management"

Current Employee - Educator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great software, fun company to work for, superb management

Cons

Growing very fast so sometimes a challenge

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Elastic2019-10-30
  9. "Innovative, Challenging, Successful"

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is by far the best place I've worked at to date. It all starts with a culture of building; to get a feel for the culture, I recommend to check out the “Our Source Code” page; these words are not just lip-service and have made a great impact. The business is built on the best search product in the world and solves amazing real-world problems for customers and community. Engineering is top-notched; if you want... cutting-edge, look no further. The products are all well-documented and just work, as designed. Promises made are delivered. Peers work together as a team; politics are at a minimum, and boats tend to row in same direction. The management invites feedback; when mistakes are made at any level, the culture is to try to improve - what more could someone ask for? Just about any customer I've met already loves the Elastic Stack prior to showing up. Team members are very supportive of efforts. There is a reason this company is growing the way it is.

Cons

Elastic is a place where you have to earn your money in sales; if you don't want to work hard, this is probably not a good fit. You will get rewarded for owning it and being a strong community member. If you are looking for a place where customers come to you and ask to buy things, this probably will not be a good fit either.

Advice to Management

More thank you than anything else worth mentioning. Only thing I might ask is to please keep minimizing overhead, so we can focus on customer and community.

Elastic2019-10-25

"Life at Elastic"

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

Great technology, great Leader Great Vision

Cons

Unorganised local Management work, no life balance Not a safe place to work

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and listen to what they need

Elastic2019-11-02