Edward Jones "home office" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Edward Jones Employee Reviews about "home office"

Updated 12 Dec 2019

4.0
Edward Jones Managing Partner  Penny Pennington
Penny Pennington
Pros
  • "We are given an enormous amount of support from our home office(in 159 reviews)

• "Great Training, Back Office Support was wonderful, the FA I worked with was easy to get along with and good communication(in 154 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to build a business from scratch door knocking(in 172 reviews)

• "Get used to Door-to-door prospecting(in 158 reviews)

Reviews about "home office"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place for women and people of color to work as Financial Advisors"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Where to start? You create your own business. Select which clients you want to work with, set your own schedule, hire in your own assistant and run your office as you please. Edward Jones places a high degree of trust and competence in it's people and I love the largely independent nature of the work. Edward Jones sponsored me for all training and SEC exams and paid for my CFP. I can call and get great support from a dedicated home office team. It's a company that says it puts people and families first - and I was a client of Edward Jones before becoming an advisor and I can say from both sides of the spectrum this is absolutely true. As long as I am meeting or exceeding set standards, I get two trips almost anywhere in the world from Edward Jones. I'm working towards creating a profitable branch and will earn partnership. I really like the other Financial Advisors in my region and I am not in competition with any of them (Edward Jones is NOT publicly traded). The culture has remained rock solid and true to its roots for a century. I'm sure I'll think of 10 more things after I post, but honestly being a Financial Advisor for Edward Jones was one of the best decisions of my working career and I am eternally grateful. Well earned distinction of best place to work - and consistently ranked one of the best places for women.

Cons

The first few years in this industry are hard - not just at Jones, but anywhere. Expect 3-5 years of HARD grind before you can step back and start to admire your work. You will build your book from scratch (see door knocking) . Working in Financial services, welcome to a bureaucratic black hole where everything takes 3x longer than it should because of regulations (again, not really a Jones thing, but more of an industry thing). Penny (the new CEO) sure has shaken things up for the better, but at 'home office' the 50-something White male still are far far FAR overrepresented in the General Partnership ranks. I've met more dudes named 'Ken' as General Partner at home office than people of color. That is changing and I can tell 10-15 years from now this will be different. I will say Jones is taking the diversity and inclusion piece seriously - because they understand that it's a competitive advantage. You'll receive a lot of support, but Edward Jones Financial Advisors are entrepreneurial folks who expect little help and to be honest this set up is best for this personality type. Personally, I love the independence without the liability for this work and the Edward Jones model will set you up for this type of arrangement.

Advice to Management

The private partnership model that rewards contribution to the company and hard work is the backbone of this company - even 100 years later. Never change this. It is our strength.

Edward Jones2019-12-12

"Financial Advisor Career Development Program"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training program will get you licensed which makes you more attractive to other employers when you inevitably leave. You'll make some good friends during training.

Cons

Training program is long and lacks structure. Lack of communication between home office and the region where you are supposed to end up after the program.

Edward Jones2019-10-23
  3. "Awesome, supportive company"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Davidson, NC

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive network locally and at home office, clear and reasonable expectations, excellent pay structure throughout tenure

Cons

For the FA position - many hours walking, calls made; lots of rejection and cancelled appointments as you build your business

Edward Jones2019-10-10

"Great Company and Job....Until It Isn't."

Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Own office, plenty of autonomy and opportunity to make a career. Home office support is great. Region feels like a family in many ways. Financial Advisors are all great and would help anyone else out in a heartbeat. There isn't a single advisor I have met that I wouldn't refer my mother to. Edward Jones does a great job hiring really super people as financial advisors that are extremely grounded, kind and ethical. Great marketing pieces and seminars developed for use

Cons

Very unfair when it comes to how advisors are helped with existing assets to start your business. And, without getting a decent sized "Good Knight Program" your chance of failure increases exponentially. If you don't get a GKP (even though I am supposedly the coveted woman advisor with EDJ and "scratch starts" are something they are working hard to avoid, I did not get one when EVERYONE else who started with me did), it is going to be really tough to make it work and there is nothing you can do to try to change it. Honestly, a lot of it is luck. It depends on who is quitting or retiring, where their offices are, and the age of the advisors in your region. Some of it comes down to politics. None of these things are things you will know or think to ask when you take the job, so you can position yourself accordingly either. I have heard multiple times from management "don't expect fair at Edward Jones. Fairs are for showing pigs" or some other ridiculous pig/fair quip. I am in an affluent area, with extreme solicitor restrictions, so without a GKP I am just about sunk. The only advice I seem to get is "just go knock on more doors!" I feel like nobody is listening. I am an experienced, successful salesperson so somebody SHOULD be, but all you hear is "we have been doing this since the company was founded, and obviously we are doing something right...it works." So, that brings me to consider leaving to find a company that will help support me with a base book of business and alternative prospecting ideas and strategies. Umm....nope to that too. Edward Jones owns you for 3 years post "can sell date", meaning post passing your exams. If you leave OR get fired and go to work for any company deemed as a competitor or go independent, you owe them $75,000 (may be more now) for training expenses (moderately reduced every few months after month 13), and they will go after you legally if you try to contact any of your clients. EJ is not part of the agreement that allows advisors to freely move between firms that most other firms are part of). So, if your career doesn't take off with Jones, you are pretty much finished as a financial advisor. Period. I understood the agreement when I signed it, but if you want the job you sign it. It is like buying a house or any other major purchase. You are at the mercy of the company offering it, and they aren't going to negotiate. But, you go ahead, take the chance and sign the non-compete thinking that if you 've gotten that far, you can make it work out and it is a great company right? Bottom line, I should never have given ANY company this much power over my life and career. You don't notice that you gave your power away when things are going well. But when you DO notice, you realize you are dancing with the devil in a jail cell. It has been an absolutely AWFUL 3 years.

Advice to Management

1) Find a way to distribute hot prospective clients as leads to new advisors rather than as GKP. If your new advisors weren't having to take all sorts of ridiculously bad clients just to eek out new asset goals, advisors wouldn't be forced to "right size" their client base multiple times by giving chunks of terrible clients in small GKP that don't help new advisors. Instead, when a well-established advisor meets with a potential client ready to move into EDJ but who isn't an ideal fit for that advisor's practice), compensate that advisor for passing a referral that closes using a system designed to help existing NEW-2 FAs ACROSS REGIONS. It is a win-win for everyone. Clients aren't passed from advisor to advisor like appetizers at a party, so they feel good instead of rejected. Existing advisors don't have to deal with all the angry clients that have been passed off to someone else. New advisors can form the relationship from the beginning rather than trying to fix something that is broken, and they get the new stream of clients they need to start the basis of referrals and organic growth for their own advisor business. And, it can reduce help Regional Leaders get their new people off the ground, even when they have a very "young" region with few advisors retiring (limited assets to give). The company has new FAs that are happy, more prepared and confident. Not unhappy FAs who, if lucky enough to get small or "pooled" GKP, realize they are in admin hell sorting through a pile of really bad, unresponsive, terrible accounts and then ultimately pass those terrible clients on in another program to the next unsuspecting and terribly grateful FA. 2) As for your employment agreement, trapped and miserable people make bad employees. Currently there is no path to solve the problems I cited internally....it should be both disappointing and illuminating to see this being brought to you through the forum of glassdoor. 3) There is no channel to solve these issues...I don't really even have a manager to speak of. However I DO know there is a committee that meets monthly to discuss FA performance if you don't meet your 4 month performance goals, then they decide whether or not you get to remain employed. I love working for The Great Oz. 4) Advisors need much more support developing and implementing strategies beyond door knocking and product partner client /prospect events. Need a coach that can help you develop strategies, ride with you or work with you to implement them (get through compliance and help figure out logistics and strategy) etc.

Edward Jones2019-09-26
  5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - New Financial Advisor in Blue Ridge, GA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Company, Excellent Training, Plenty of Support from home office and current FA's,

Cons

None that I can think of

Edward Jones2019-09-13

"Mostly Positive, depending on what you are looking for"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Home Office support, multiple investment platforms, ability to have your own office.

Cons

Not many I can think of. As an existing advisor I have concerns that EJ might be trying to expand to fast but time will tell.

Edward Jones2019-07-22

"Good Training but for a price"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good training, great home office support.

Cons

80 hour weeks are the norm

Advice to Management

Need to understand what is really happening in the field. Bonus structures cause many games to be played.

Edward Jones2019-07-18

"Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Senior Branch Office Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

One of the best support systems I've ever come across which ranges from home office to other branches. They truly make you feel welcomed and like you're part of the family. Great benefits and incentives to not only do better on the job but also incentives to be healthier and lower medical costs.

Cons

Over all pay could be higher for all the responsibilities the BOAs incur on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Train FAs to be better office managers! They may be trained on how to interact with clients but not with office staff. New generation of FAs coming in need to be taught.

Edward Jones2019-06-24

"A company who cares about their employees"

Current Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator

I have been working at Edward Jones part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really like Edward Jones. They are a wonderful support system not only among the region with other branch but also with Home Office, who can answer any question about anything you may face in your office. They also very much care for the best interests of the clients. The Financial Advisors are paid based on commission yes, but Edward Jones has guidelines in place that ensures the clients aren't taken advantage of.

Cons

Your level success directly depends on the Financial Advisor's success. If they choose to bonus you (and hopefully they do) that's great, otherwise, they don't have to. Also, it's difficult to get coverage for an on-call BOA if they're not available. There are not too many to choose from in a region and makes it difficult to take vacation in multiple days. Finally, there isn't a whole lot of growth opportunity other than being promoted to Sr BOA or Financial Advisor. If you aren't in St. Louis, it's difficult to find opportunities within the company.

Edward Jones2019-04-26
  10. "Great company, hard work"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

growth opportunity, you build your business the way you want, have control over your own schedule, support from home office and other advisors is great.

Cons

lots of face to face residential contacts, building your business is a slow process and don't reap the benefits for a few years

Edward Jones2019-06-05