Edward Jones "door knocking" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Edward Jones Employee Reviews about "door knocking"

Updated 12 Dec 2019

4.0
Edward Jones Managing Partner  Penny Pennington
Penny Pennington
Pros
  • "We are given an enormous amount of support from our home office(in 159 reviews)

• "Great Training, Back Office Support was wonderful, the FA I worked with was easy to get along with and good communication(in 155 reviews)

Cons
  • "You will build your book from scratch (see door knocking)(in 172 reviews)

• "Get used to Door-to-door prospecting(in 158 reviews)

Reviews about "door knocking"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place for women and people of color to work as Financial Advisors"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Where to start? You create your own business. Select which clients you want to work with, set your own schedule, hire in your own assistant and run your office as you please. Edward Jones places a high degree of trust and competence in it's people and I love the largely independent nature of the work. Edward Jones sponsored me for all training and SEC exams and paid for my CFP. I can call and get great support from a dedicated home office team. It's a company that says it puts people and families first - and I was a client of Edward Jones before becoming an advisor and I can say from both sides of the spectrum this is absolutely true. As long as I am meeting or exceeding set standards, I get two trips almost anywhere in the world from Edward Jones. I'm working towards creating a profitable branch and will earn partnership. I really like the other Financial Advisors in my region and I am not in competition with any of them (Edward Jones is NOT publicly traded). The culture has remained rock solid and true to its roots for a century. I'm sure I'll think of 10 more things after I post, but honestly being a Financial Advisor for Edward Jones was one of the best decisions of my working career and I am eternally grateful. Well earned distinction of best place to work - and consistently ranked one of the best places for women.

Cons

The first few years in this industry are hard - not just at Jones, but anywhere. Expect 3-5 years of HARD grind before you can step back and start to admire your work. You will build your book from scratch (see door knocking) . Working in Financial services, welcome to a bureaucratic black hole where everything takes 3x longer than it should because of regulations (again, not really a Jones thing, but more of an industry thing). Penny (the new CEO) sure has shaken things up for the better, but at 'home office' the 50-something White male still are far far FAR overrepresented in the General Partnership ranks. I've met more dudes named 'Ken' as General Partner at home office than people of color. That is changing and I can tell 10-15 years from now this will be different. I will say Jones is taking the diversity and inclusion piece seriously - because they understand that it's a competitive advantage. You'll receive a lot of support, but Edward Jones Financial Advisors are entrepreneurial folks who expect little help and to be honest this set up is best for this personality type. Personally, I love the independence without the liability for this work and the Edward Jones model will set you up for this type of arrangement.

Advice to Management

The private partnership model that rewards contribution to the company and hard work is the backbone of this company - even 100 years later. Never change this. It is our strength.

Edward Jones2019-12-12

"Be Prepared for Door-to-Door Sales"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training was top notch. The firm pays you while you are studying for licensing exams. Some folks in the region seem to genuinely care about one another.

Cons

You must be excited about going door-to-door in residential neighborhoods trying to "sell" your services and the firm's services. If you are not passionate about this process, you will struggle. Be prepared for long days with the hope of getting a handful of phone numbers each day (if you're good and lucky enough to catch folks home). Hopefully, of the phone numbers you get, some will answer when you call. Of those that answer, hopefully a few will agree to meet with you. Of those that meet with you, hopefully a few will open accounts and move assets. Then you continue this process for 3-5 years until your book of business is built. Other FAs will tell you that they built their business without door-knocking. It rare, especially at the beginning.

Advice to Management

The door-to-door system becomes less and less effective each year. Most homeowners do not appreciate having someone knock on their door to try and sell products or services. Today, most companies that still do door-to-door sales are known for selling junk or garbage. Get with the times and come up with modern ways for new FAs to start without the antiquated sales approach. Forcing everyone to go door-to-door fails to take advantage of each new FA's individual personality and skills. You're losing good folks because of the outdated process.

Edward Jones2019-11-26

"Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

A great culture where people aren't afraid to help the new guys.

Cons

Too much door knocking, Not the most effective way to build your business.

Edward Jones2019-11-05

"Your time is what you make of it."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great way to become introduce to life as a financial advisor. A lot freedom of movement in regards to managing your own time and small business. Senior advisors are willing to help if you ask them. Good support/coaching network, but onus is on you to make things happen.

Cons

Come prepared with your business plan AND marketing strategies detailed out to include how you will manage your day-to-day activities. Door knocking/Cold walking is NOT as bad as it seems, but if you don't have much luck there you need to have other sources available to generate clients/accounts with. You're time is what you make of it, if you can't manage it effectively enough your business will suffer. Prepare to put MANY hours in on the front end of things.

Edward Jones2019-10-03
  5. "Fantastic Opportunity"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Brandon, MB

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tremendous support from both head office and colleagues.

Cons

Door Knocking is a must and is tough.

Advice to Management

Hats off to Management and the company being owned by the employees is unheard of.

Edward Jones2019-09-29

"Great company but be ready for the grind"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base salary Great training Benefits Unlimited potential Paid training

Cons

Door knocking Starting with nothing , no leads just whoever you know

Advice to Management

Help advisors find an area to direct business More leadership with a way to not feel thrown to the wolves

Edward Jones2019-09-12
  7. "Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family feel Good compensation if you work hard Opportunity to get experience "running your own business"

Cons

Door knocking Typical sales pressure Possibility to deal with a lot of rejection

Edward Jones2019-08-26

"Be careful what you wish for"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Toronto, ON

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid training and base salary (albeit declining) during the first five years, good benefits package, some colleagues offered support and mentoring.

Cons

It's a horribly outdated business model: cold door knocking. No one, much less in a professional career, attracts clients this way. You don't get any leads or accounts to work with, but no one tells you this during the recruiting and onboarding process - I only found out at KYC training. IF you are assigned an office (there is no guarantee - you might be working out of your home), it's a one-person shop, so no colleagues to work with. Some senior FAs are very condescending.

Advice to Management

Refocus your business model (many other comparably successful financial services firms are) to reflect what is happening in the industry today. Start new FAs off with leads and/or clients to let them build their business. Be upfront with new recruits about expectations and targets.

Edward Jones2019-08-14
  9. "Financial Planner"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people that work there

Cons

Door knocking on a day to day basis

Advice to Management

None

Edward Jones2019-07-30

"Headed in a bad direction."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

They put a lot of effort into training and paying for it upfront.

Cons

Outdated model by still promoting door knocking; it isn't effective in today's world. They over promise on advancing in your career., the only people that make it are the ones that are given assets or retirement plans. They are also over hiring right now and is creating high turnover since they don't have enough resources to support new people.

Advice to Management

Change your model quickly and start giving more support to the new people instead of over hiring.

Edward Jones2019-07-18