ELS Educational Services Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

ELS Educational Services Reviews

Updated 15 Oct 2019

2.5
ELS Educational Services CEO Curt Uhlein (no image)
Curt Uhlein
Pros
  • "Great benefits for an ESL school (used to work for 2 other companies that didn't give any benefits)(in 24 reviews)

• "Health Benefits, great international students(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay like most teaching position(in 16 reviews)

• "There were not enough students to keep teachers on full time(in 15 reviews)

"No buck for the bang."

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great co-workers and administration team.

Cons

Very low, hourly pay. Only paid teaching hours. Not paid for planning or grading. High quality expected, but not much given back to employees.

Advice to Management

Pay for planning and for grading. Teaching is not just something that happens when the students are in front of you in the class.

ELS Educational Services2019-10-16

"Pull Back the Curtain before Jumping in!"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Invaluable colleagues - there is nothing else redeeming at the organization expect for the very few people left.

Cons

Too many to list! Everyone understands the industry is incredibly challenging, but there is no appreciation or even value to those of us who have stayed - perhaps stupidly as countless colleagues have been fired or "removed" quietly over the past 2 years. There is zero value on the human aspect of what the actual people bring to the company as a whole. It's an incredibly sad place to be associated with at the... moment and in it's current state.

Advice to Management

Management as it's own agenda and doesn't really care what the day to day staff laboring away have to say! Please note, Rejji Terasaka is no longer the CEO nor has been for nearly a year now - Glassdoor needs to update their info to Curt Uhlein.

ELS Educational Services2019-09-05

"Insufficient support from HQ"

Former Employee - Center Director in Princeton, NJ

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with students and international agents was great. Many of the admin staff at HQ were wonderful to work with as well. Center team was cohesive and the work environment was fun and positive.

Cons

Inept district directors didn’t give proper support to the center. Various members of corporate management side were aloof and didn’t address concerns at the center level. When the host institution didn’t renew the agreement, I was left high and dry, despite assurances that the company would find positions for those willing to relocate. There is zero loyalty. A lot of waste at HQ.

ELS Educational Services2019-09-02

"Do not work at this employer!"

Former Employee - Public Relations in Princeton, NJ

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Provides a nice newer office space to work in.

Cons

unprofessional management, finger pointing for basic errors, lack of upward mobility, misleading employees by telling them what management wants them to know

Advice to Management

Become more human towards your employees!

ELS Educational Services2019-08-31

"It was alright"

Former Employee - Else Instructor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive staff, great students, friendly teachers.

Cons

Just be watchful of things. The system is pretty tight and you have to really put as much as you can in the timeframe.

ELS Educational Services2019-07-12
  6. "Wonderful Professional Growth"

Former Employee - Instructor in Ruston, LA

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great teacher support and ample opportunities to advance career.

Cons

Only left my job due to cut backs

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

ELS Educational Services2019-06-25

"MGMT Team Needs to Introspect Themselves"

Current Employee - Instructor in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at ELS Educational Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

The amazing international students are the only reason that's keeping me here in this company. If you have a Master's or above in ESL Teaching, you shouldn't even consider working here unless you are incompetent to find other jobs.

Cons

The center plays favorites when it comes to managing its teachers. Different rules and standards are given to different teachers. This is not just a feeling or observation. There are text messages to prove just how unfairly teachers can be treated at the center. The center also often lies to its teachers. It also has the power to unethically change students' grades.

Advice to Management

Be honest to one another. Stop lying to your teachers. Do not play favorites. You are losing excellent teachers and ending up with only the lazy ones working for you.

ELS Educational Services2019-07-24

"No Job Security"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

international students and expanded cultural awareness

Cons

bad pay, no job security, incompetent, unqualified management

Advice to Management

establish consistent standards, then see that they are followed

ELS Educational Services2019-07-13

"Needs new blood"

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Students were amazing to work with. So was much of the Center staff.

Cons

Bloated management Not keeping up with the times - Change how you do things!

Advice to Management

Listen to your stakeholders

ELS Educational Services2019-05-24

"Soul-crushing"

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

paid time off and health insurance

Cons

curriculum is poorly designed and students' time is often wasted on non-academic activities

Advice to Management

I have been teaching ESL/EFL for ten years in many different capacities. I’ve worked at public elementary schools, universities, one-on-one tutoring services, and private language academies. I understand that no school is perfect and that some things must be compromised in order for teachers to make a living. That being said, I have loved teaching at all of those institutions. I loved teaching until I came to ELS.... As a new hire, I was offered little to no orientation or training in ELS procedures with the exception of one quick hour of training and my "teacher buddy", who was expected to train me for free in their spare time. I found my new job chaotic, and I often felt inadequate as I was asked to complete tasks that I was unfamiliar with or when I did something in a way that made sense to me but was wrong to ELS. Furthermore, the way that procedures are described in handbooks and by management is often not how they actually are. This makes it very confusing and disheartening to adapt here. There is not enough time for teachers to teach all of the curriculum in a 4-week period, especially with extracurricular activities cutting into class time. The books, above all reading & writing, are written well above the students' level and contain much more content than what is possible to teach in a session. These factors force instructors to pick from the curriculum only the content that will be on the final exam (for SSP) or that will be essential to writing the final essay (RW), allowing next to no time for realistic practice and leaving students stressed and frustrated. I find it difficult to follow one of the core teachings of my masters in TESOL program: “Teach what you assess, and assess what you teach”. On the subject of tests, the numerous required assessments take up a sizable chunk of class time that would be better used for more in-depth instruction or practice. The amount of assessments also takes a toll on teachers' time outside of class as we grade stacks of writing, re-writing, and quizzes. As for grading, what a sham. When it came time to finalize grades, I was shocked to discover that I was asked to CHANGE THE SCORES that I had given using carefully-crafted quizzes and rubrics in addition to my own professional assessment. This process made me feel dishonest as well as untrustworthy, and it makes ELS seem much more like a business than like a school. I would feel more comfortable at ELS if some of the procedures and materials were revised and reorganized. In my opinion, new hires who have no experience with ELS should be given face-to-face training as a standard and not as an exception. This training should be given by both an administrative staff member and an experienced teacher who is paid for their time. In addition, extracurricular activities such as speed conversation and holiday celebrations should be just that- extracurricular. Students pay for their academic hours, and taking that time away is stealing. Furthermore, the number of quizzes and writing assessments should be reduced- a midterm in SSP which includes a speaking component and a midterm reading test with a writing component should be sufficient to assess what students need to work on for the final exam or project. The grading system is appalling. Either the ELS rubrics and reading quizzes should be revised to match the expected outcome of grades, or the teachers’ professional expertise and assessment should be taken at face value. Finally, my heart sank when I read the new hire manual. It referred to our students, who have faces and names and dreams, as customers. Is that all they are?

ELS Educational Services2019-05-09