EF English First Foreign Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

EF English First Foreign Teacher Reviews

Updated 16 Dec 2019

3.2
EF English First President 	Jacob Toren (no image)
Jacob Toren
  1. "EF English First 1 Year Review"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Hohhot

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training available to all new teachers and easy to follow curriculum. Co-workers work very hard and are very pleasant to be around in the office, but this could vary from location to location.

Cons

Very long hours on weekends that are demoralizing and only 15 minutes between classes to prepare and gather materials which is not enough. I was promised free Chinese lessons before I arrived, but they were only made available after 1 year of employment. Lack of foreign staff and foreign teacher retention seems to be a critical issue for this company.

Advice to Management

Money goes a long way in my city, and I would be happy to work part time at this established company, but sadly it is not an option. Find a better work/life balance for foreign teachers to give them a reason to stay.

EF English First2019-12-17

"EF Baotou is a great place to work"

Former Employee - Foreign Teacher in Baotou, Inner Mongolia

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great curriculum Awesome co-workers The students are amazing

Cons

Work weekends Not enough holidays Need more career development

Advice to Management

Continue providing career development opportunities. Provide more time off for teachers to enjoy China

EF English First2019-11-17
  3. "EF Baotou is amazing!!"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Baotou, Inner Mongolia

I have been working at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at EF Baotou is great, you have endless opportunities for growth, the staff are friendly and ready to help you with anything. There are variety of classes, so you get to practice your skills with different types/age of classes.

Cons

The only con is the language barrier

EF English First2019-10-19

"Don’t do it there’s better companies"

Former Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Ningbo

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Visa will be legal. And there’s a decent work expectation.

Cons

Management is terrible. Everyone is a liar aboutbeven the most basic things. When you try to leave they threaten you with legal action. Overworked and make half the salary if other schools.

EF English First2019-09-20

"Overworked and Underappreciated"

Former Employee - Foreign Teacher in Changsha, Hunan

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

The salary and benefits are good, and students are eager to learn.

Cons

Everything is catered to the parents. Teachers are not allowed to run classes efficiently because parents always complain about one thing or another, and the school gives in to them. All they care about is a good performance, not the students actually learning. Especially with summer and winter courses, the teachers are massively overworked and held to unrealistic expectations in terms of lesson delivery and student retention, all the while being treated like they're disposable and unimportant. At one point, I was vomiting and very sick, but was not allowed to take the day off because there wasn't anyone to cover my classes, and the school refused to cancel classes to please the parents. Then, when I got sick in class and had to run to the bathroom, the parents complained about me leaving class. I was also reprimanded for this by management later on, as though it were my fault for being sick. I also experienced many health problems due to the unhygienic conditions the school was kept in, and raised complaints about it.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and listen to your teachers, or you will end up with none. The parents are important, but we are the trained teachers, not them. Trust us to do our jobs, and don't listen to every whim of the parent. I couldn't be more glad to have left this company. My health has greatly improved not being overworked and away from the filthy school.

EF English First2019-07-13

"Low salary not enough benefits"

Current Employee - Foreign Teacher in Jiaxing

I have been working at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Offer opportunities to further your career. They promise you a lot of things

Cons

Long hours on the weekends. We didn’t have any office hours before but the management pressured us to be at the school at 40 hrs a week since few months ago and implemented a fingerprint system. Now this is fine if only it was mentioned in our contracts. When i got interviewed the DoS actually said we never expect you to be at the office you’re not teaching but things changed so quickly after i signed the contract. As a training center that doesn’t offer nowhere near as high salary as other centers, the only benefit of working at EF was the no office hours rule but now that’s gone. We’re expected to be at work like full time public school teachers who are getting paid twice our salary. Not to mention the peak seasons such as summer and winter course, then we have to be at work from morning till night 6 days a week with no additional pay, no overtime whatsoever. The center i worked at constantly put pressure on teachers, made them compete w each other when it comes to demo sales, retention, summer course sales etc. There is a big board in the office where each teacher has their target number for summer course and retention. Whenever a student of a teacher signs up they add it to their target to ‘motivate’ teachers when in reality it puts so much stress and pressure on teachers. It haunts us everytime we look at it. The management team looks at teachers as assets, means to make money and only that. Never as humanbeings w feelings. You’re only as good as your numbers. That’s how i felt all the time. Also there is a referral system where when you refer someone and they come and complete the probation period you get certain amount of money. I referred someone a yr ago and this person has come and completed their probation 3 months ago. I still haven’t gotten the referral payment and the person who is in charge of this stopped answering my emails so after a lot of unanswered emails i contacted them on their wechat and was left on read. My contract with them is up this weekend and i’m not sure if i’m ever gonna see that referral bonus.

Advice to Management

Have your expectations clear and mention everything in the contract. Don’t try to change things up in the middle of contract. Properly reward and compensate your teachers because the turnover rate is insanely high and i believe it’s related to that. Pay the referral bonus or no one will want to refer anyone to the company.

EF English First2019-07-09
  7. "Good starter job"

Former Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Organized and helps you set up easily.

Cons

Long working hours and experience can vary wildly in different schools/cities.

EF English First2019-05-24
  8. "Foreign English Teacher"

Former Employee - Foreign English Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent compensation. There's also excellent support from local staff for help with visas, settling in, housing, healthcare and more.

Cons

The workload is too high. Teachers very often teach more than 24 contact hours each week, which is exhausting and unfortunately makes teaching quality lessons to all students impossible.

Advice to Management

Hire more teachers, both foreign and local, so that the teachers can have a more manageable workload and not be overworked. Invest more in training support staff (teaching assistants) so that they feel confident when working in the classroom.

EF English First2019-01-18

"It was a good foot in the door"

Former Employee - Foreign Expert Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid on time, hours were what I was told in the interview, teachers were great and we were a big family, students are fun and interested in learning - even the big ones, opportunity to advance, good start to work in china

Cons

Summer hours are awful. you have to teach your normal hours and morning hours of summer courses... it only lasts 8-10 weeks depending on need but all teachers do it... there is no extra pay for these extra hours. Winter courses are just as bad.. usually 2-3 weeks long. pay is low but competitive for other learning centers.

Advice to Management

adjust your pay and give housing bonus. shanghai is not an inexpensive place to live. pay for overtime hours don't mistreat staff !

EF English First2018-04-21

"Only cares about money, doesn't care about people"

Former Employee - Foreign Teacher in Fuzhou, Fujian

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

The kids are amazing Get to sleep in on weekdays due to later start Some other teachers are amazing and you become great friends.

Cons

Teachers have different days off, you're forced to come in on your days off, management is really inconsistent between people where they are nice to strong but bullies the weak. Can't take sick leave unless you have a doctors certificate which in china means you have to go hospital and wait 3 hours.

Advice to Management

Let teachers have the same days off in tier 2 cities in china.

EF English First2018-05-03