EF English First ESL Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

EF English First ESL Teacher Reviews

Updated 28 de Nov 2019

2.5
EF English First CEO 	Jacob Toren (no image)
Jacob Toren
  1. "EF Academic Partnerships"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I have been working at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Pay is always on time -Lots of opportunity to progress within Academic Partnerships, teachers are often promoted to senior teachers or similar within 2 or 3 semesters. -They run a few workshops each semester in order to improve specific aspects of teaching, although these are not always well attended. - Nice of them to offer a salary advance when you first arrive.

Cons

- Salary isn't very high compared to other teaching jobs in Shanghai, and it is particularly tough during long breaks in Spring and Summer where you are paid a fraction of your monthly salary.

Advice to Management

Offer more of a salary during long semester breaks.

EF English First2018-06-20

"Makes the process of transitioning to a new country easy"

Current Employee - Online ESL Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at EF English First part-time for more than a year

Pros

I get to work with amazing people and make new friends for life. Living and staying in China allows me the opportunity to travel to other countries cheaply and easily. The actual work is easy and not stressful at all. The teaching environment is well-done, usually very well thought through and provides people with a very nice experience here.

Cons

poor management as so far

EF English First2018-04-05
  3. "Mostly Really Wonderful"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Chongqing, Chongqing

I have been working at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to work with some great kids and there is a lot of opportunity to move up within EF.

Cons

If you don't have an interest in moving up with EF, the pressure from higher ups can be brutal.

Advice to Management

Accept that there will be high turnover.

EF English First2018-04-11
  4. "Teacher"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I have been working at EF English First for more than a year

Pros

Travel abroad Make new friends A culture enriching experience

Cons

Recruiters who don't know how to recruit Don't get paid on time Terrible breakfast during winter course as well as no lunch during winter course

Advice to Management

Hire better experience in the recruiter department Hire better experience in the payroll department

EF English First2018-02-08

"Great experience!"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Brisbane

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun kids, new city, decent pay

Cons

Can't think of anything at the moment

Advice to Management

Depends on your centre, management was good in mine so keep it up! More team building events for staff

EF English First2017-12-21

"Good way to get your feet wet in China"

ESL Teacher

I have been working at EF English First for more than a year

Pros

Easy work, Management stays off your back

Cons

Some serious ageism going on

Advice to Management

I arrived at the company almost a year ago. My manager trained me for two hours on my first day on the job...and then a few months later - he chatted to me for ten minutes because he wanted to interview each member of the team individually. That has been the extent of my interaction with my manager. In all the months since, I have never had my work reviewed or commented on. He has never asked me about my classes. I... was never rebuked or praised in my ten months with the company. About the only meaningful conversation I had with my manager as of late was when he asked me to falsify his CertDiptesol paperwork. To be honest...if it weren't for the headache of finding someone to cover my classes, I don't think management would notice if I were alive or dead. I was never given one of those nifty pink lanyards and it took them six months to get my picture on the wall. However, during my time with the company, my EEAs have always been well attended, I have never been late for a class and have always been prepared. I have also worked very hard on the Corporate Solutions side of the business and have done quite well there...so well in fact that I was being interviewed for a promotion. I turned it down because I have had enough of working overseas and wish to return to America. The pay is mediocre, but that is fair enough since the work is quite easy. I did state as a con that I believe there is a lot of prejudice against people over forty years old. Everyone on the Shanghai management team seem to be in either their late twenties to early thirties. Having said all that, I have always been paid on time and the on-boarding process made the transition to China a relatively pleasant experience. There are many opportunities to be found in China and I would recommend EF as a way to explore the landscape and put your ambition to work.

EF English First2017-11-27
  7. "ESL Instructor"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Indo

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked in Indonesia. They had an excellent, pre-made curriculum which was easy to implement across all age groups. They had a program for 4-5 year olds called "Small Stars". I found the staff quite pleasant and were from different countries.

Cons

It is a split shift in which you work until at least 9pm at night.

Advice to Management

I am not saying that every single branch does this, but the phenomenon of illegal visas, even temporarily, is hurting more than helping, even though one is able to put a teacher in the classroom quickly.

EF English First2017-10-08

"Last resort for people wanting to go overseas"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Pudong, Shanghai

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. It's a completely safe and easy way to get overseas as a first time. 2. They set you up with a hotel when you get there. 3.They have really intensive trainings the first weeks and give you a 40 hour tefl 4. There's a built in social group of young 20 somethings for you to party with. 5. The students are really sweet. 6. Lesson are provided for you.

Cons

1. Work/life balance sucks due to long hours and weird schedule. You work 12pm-8pm Tuesday-Sunday or Wednesday to Monday. On the weekends you work from 2.7am-6pm so, your weekends are totally shot. 3. You may be placed way far away from town. I had friends who worked in EF's by the airport which is very far from the city center or Shanghai. 4. You will have to sustain a const barrage of weekly and monthly PD's... that will suck everything pure from your soul. 5. You will have no social life outside of EF due to the weird hours. 6. The pay is not that good but it's ok if you're by yourself with no kids. 7. Lessons become repetitive and boring.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the hours.

EF English First2017-06-10

"ESL Teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Moscow

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, good materials, possible flexible hours

Cons

Low salary, high demands, no real professional growth

Advice to Management

The pay for an hour is too low and the demands are too high. Sometimes they want you to work on weekends promoting schools in shopping malls, but they pay the same as regular hours and do not cover the transportation. While the teachers have to motivate the students all the time (as well as their parents) they do not receive much motivation from the management.

EF English First2017-05-19

"Great School"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Changzhou, Jiangsu

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always paid on time Good amount of training and teacher development generally well looked after also had multiple company trips each year Good local staff Good variety of classes and plenty of planning time

Cons

Short notice for some events Often understood western workplace problems but sometimes dealt with them in an unprofessional way. Due to cultural differences

EF English First2017-03-15