EF Education First Sales Reviews

Updated 18 Jun 2020

3.3
EF Education First CEO  Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
  1. "good experience good people"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Seoul

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have met so many good people during my journey at EF. People is the most valuable thing when I worked for EF

Cons

Some seniors are incapable.. They only think about the result but they don't know how to lead the project and process.. Especially in Asia country seniors....

"Wouldn't recommend"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Interesting, smart, and hard-working sales staff. - Happy hours, parties, and outings as a reward for meeting sales goals. - A tight-knit culture. - Free or reduced price activities and benefits around Boston, decent amount of time off (although you'll still be expected to be working through your time off).

Cons

- Culture of 'work hard, play hard', which roughly translates into the expectation of working 60+ hours a week, 7 days a week, for low base pay. EF doesn't operate in the traditional model of commission-based sales pay, so half whatever they tell you to expect in bonus pay. - Healthcare benefits were so stripped down that it doesn't technically qualify as state-approved healthcare coverage. - Little room to grow, get promoted, or make more money, even if you consistently hit 100% or above of your sales goals. In an initial interview, a manager told me there was no room for promotional growth and they were looking for salespeople to stick around for 1-2 years -- this seems to be true across the board in most departments. - Disconnected and untouchable management. Lack of direction, inspiration, or leadership all around -- untrained and unprofessional. Any mistakes would go unacknowledged or be pushed onto the sales staff to solve. - Training was almost non-existent, but we were expected to hit sales goals immediately. Sales goals were set arbitrarily, and the pressure coming from higher up increased management issues on a team level. - Poor organization and lack of ethics when it came to customers. We were encouraged to bend the truth to our customers or ignore them in favor of getting more sales, especially in high season. In high season, the company overbooks locations and shifts blame onto customers for 'unreasonable expectations'. EF's stated goal is 'opening the world through education', but the business model seems to very clearly be hitting the goal of 'making the Hult family as rich as possible' at the cost of employees and customers, so why change anything? No amount of feedback will change their business model.

May 4, 2020Vice President of Recruitment and Employee Development

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the EF culture, your colleagues and some of the many perks EF offers its employees. However, it’s clear your experience here was not what any of us would have hoped. I’d like to address a few points from your feedback. While each team will have some peak times during the year that may require additional hours leading up to key deadlines or goals, EF values work/life balance and it’s part of our culture to protect that balance. If someone works a Saturday, typically they would take another day off during the same week. As for healthcare, we were surprised to see your comments. We offer market-leading healthcare coverage and provide two options for full-time employees: a basic plan and an enhanced coverage plan. Both plans provide more than adequate coverage to meet state requirements and aim to give employees a choice of how much coverage they prefer. Even with the enhanced plan, the out-of-pocket contribution by employees is quite low compared to other employers. Additionally, treating our customers with the utmost care, honesty and ethical standards is core to what we do – it’s one of the reasons for our continued growth over the past 55+ years. We do appreciate your feedback and hope you find a work environment that feels like the right fit.

"Go somewhere else"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues were generally nice (the ones who were not blood thirsty and wanted to steal your leads)

Cons

Everything else: no career progression, made you lie to customers, long hours, too much pressure, constant micromanaging, low salaries, no in lieu time for working weekend... I could go on forever

Continue reading

"Do you want a career with the circus? If you do - this is the place for you!"

1.0
    Current Intern - Sales in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First

Pros

At a recent internal conference, a member of the EF Pro cycling team (it's run by a confessed doping cheat...but they don't talk about that) was interviewed on stage. He was asked, for the benefit of all the new people, to describe what working at EF is like. He replied: "It's like working at the circus, man!" In so many ways, he was totally right! The circus can be a fun place to work! It travels around! There is cheering! There are bright lights and dazzling colours! There is nice food and drink (sometimes you get it for free)! They put on a nice show! You can rub shoulders with "glamorous" and "interesting" people! They will tell you they are doing "amazing" things! Every year is a "super-great!" year (even when it isn't). If you want to join the circus, then this is the place for you!

Cons

On the other hand...it's a CIRCUS! Most of what you see is all for show. It's not real! There is a dark side to the circus. When the lights go down and the cheering stops, its miserable. Behind the scenes, it's a con. There are some honest and talented people - jugglers, acrobats and lion-tamers - bravely trying to earn an honest living. But they are treated like dirt, lied to, deceived and not offered the sorts of things most employees in proper companies would expect - like respect and a real career. The circus is run by arrogant and self-serving people who you wouldn't trust with your wallet. Senior managers are just clowning around because they don't have any talent (and they know it) or because they have been given a job they are uniquely un-qualified to do and because even they know they aren't really making any decisions. It's a petty, small-minded, family-owned company. The owners decide everything, down to the policy on how many personal items you can keep on your desk (its one). Most people give up after a while because they know that, whatever they do, it's not valued...by anyone...and they are going nowhere. Worse still, bad managers (of which there are plenty) are jealous of their performers. They gossip and take credit for others' work behind their backs - to mask their own incompetence. For example: "Oh yeah, the trapeze artist is good...but they are useless at Excel!" and "Yeah, the lion tamer is brave, but their desk is very untidy!" Eventually, it just makes everyone miserable in a way that no amount of subsidized massages, free coffee and one happy hour a month can hope to fix. Good people are leaving - in increasing numbers. Most of their management practices are secretive, self-serving and amateurish. After 55 years they are still making it up as they go along. They are teaching the world to communicate...but its like the decision-makers have been asked to take a vow of silence and being inside their offices is like working in a library. People are afraid to say ANYTHING out loud in case it gets used against them by someone, somewhere. People will smile at you WHILE they are stabbing you in the back.

Continue reading

"great colleagues, bad managers"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Milan
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

work trips, great colleagues, international vibes

Cons

too much pressure, treating you like a machine

March 16, 2020Director

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you enjoyed the opportunity to travel and coming to work spending time with amazing colleagues. We are sorry to hear you felt as you were not treated well and we will take this forward to our team in Italy. We wish you all the best in your future career.

6. "International environment with a very good learning curve."

Current Contractor - Sales in Lisbon

I have been working at EF Education First for more than a year

Pros

Earn tons of experience and create a great network.

Cons

Poor work-life balance and the income could be better.

7. "Great place to work in"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Zürich

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team Spirit, Atmosphere, Multicultural

Cons

Salary and extra hours

March 6, 2020Director

Thank you for your Feedback. We are very glad to hear you enjoy working with your colleagues and you like the atmosphere we have in our EF offices. A strong company culture is certainly what makes working at EF truly unique and we are working hard to maintain a fun and dynamic work environment. We wish you all the best for your ongoing EF career.

8. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

During the first year at EF you feel the energy. Positive mindset.

Cons

Working under pressure is normal, but not with this kind of pressure.

February 24, 2020Director

Thank you for your input. We put pride in being an entrepreneurial company with high energy and positive work environment. We understand working in sales includes pressure to reach targets and management always revise the working environment and goals to make sure they are realistic. I'm sorry to hear you felt the pressure being too tough. Wish you all the best for 2020.

9. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Commission Sales in Amsterdam
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice colleagues and working environment

Cons

Really low wages compared to the workload

10. "Nice part time job"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Shenzhen, Guangdong

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice part first time job

Cons

basic salary, lack of management

January 27, 2020Director

Thank you for your commitment to EF! Happy to hear you're enjoying your job with us. In regards to salary, we do review our salaries on a regular basis to make sure we are competitive in the market but we will of course take this feedback onboard. Best regards

Found 97 reviews