EF Education First Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Dr. Edward Hult

"Never ever"

in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at EF Education First

Pros

Cannot mention any pros. Terrible company

Cons

Expect to work 60 hours for the price of 38

Advice to Management

Don't run your employees into the ground

EF Education First2016-03-09
  2. "Great opportunity to work in an international environment."

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice and modern offices with many friendly co-workers.

Cons

EF is sometimes very unorganized with lack in communication between different departments.

EF Education First2014-08-07

"Disappointed by job role, attitudes of returning staff and potential for very long hours"

Current Employee - Senior Staff

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

The weekly salary includes holiday pay which is a nice addition. It's a very casual job and the uniform is quite flattering (polo shirt, lanyard and jeans). The workforce is young and in my experience very friendly! The students are generally very polite and sweet. The EF training weekend in London is great for making new friends and being fed really well (although it comes at the expense of sleep!!)

Cons

Training isn't sufficient, pay works out as pretty bad because the hours are so long and so unsociable (for example this role was advertised as 9-5 and worked out at 8:30 to 9 at the worst). No time is spent with the students, it really is an office job where you will be expected to stay with no coffee breaks and in my experience lunch can only be taken if you insist on it. The attitudes of returning staff make it... very hard to innovate - in my experience the centre manager was stuck in their own idea of how it was run 'last year' and provided sub-standard activities and customer service because of it - this totally goes against EF's focus on the WOW factor.

Advice to Management

The training you give to senior staff is really well intended but it just doesn't give enough information - for example, elektra wasn't gone over enough and as a result the academic managers had to spend a while learning and practising it at the start of summer. Maybe elektra was supposed to be practised during the time before the school opened, but if this is the case then it never happened! It made the whole... summer very slow to get started. The senior services role wasn't utilised half as well as it should have been - our student services coordinator ended up covering for teachers and making posters and doing pointless tasks instead of being able to help with elektra as they weren't taught how to use it. There is way too much work for the academic manager on their own - they need an assistant manager to help with all of the work because in my experience our academic manager was barely leaving the office at 10pm.

EF Education First2014-07-22
  4. "Amazing work atmosphere"

Current Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can tell that everybody who works here genuinely LOVES this place, which is something that is extremely hard to find these days. EF hires people with amazing personalities and a great work ethic-- these people are amazing to work alongside. Also, every person who works here is passionate about the product.

Cons

Don't work here if you arent willing to go out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself every day.

EF Education First2019-12-09
  5. "Great big-company culture, fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

employee experience is great, company takes care of you and provides many perks including a huge, modern building with many amenities. people are friendly and nice, culture is one of helping you reach your potential; including lots of one on ones with your managers, trainers, and anyone you want!

Cons

tour consultant role is sales heavy with lots of goals you have to reach. salary is low, but it is an entry level job

Advice to Management

good job at keeping your employees happy and excited about coming to work. shoutout to angie and mike for all their hard work and taking care of employees.

EF Education First2019-12-09
  6. "Teacher at English First Shenyang for approximately 2 years"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Shenyang, Liaoning

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff at EF Shenyang were very supportive in getting teachers adjusted to the new city and provided comfortable furnished apartments. The long-term teaching staff were very supportive in terms of offering guidance when needed. The administrative staff are friendly and responsible. The schools are provided with good quality books, classroom props, and whiteboards that allow teachers the means to teach engaging... classes easily. The pay is quite good, especially for the hours worked. You can tell EF Shenyang truly supports their teachers in terms of helping them improve their abilities through the helpful swap workshops, friendly peer-offered advice, and insightful coaching sessions offered regularly by the teaching staff. Overall, it is evident that they truly care about the quality of education their students are getting. On a personal note, my experience with EF Shenyang was fantastic. I had great classes where I was able to properly have classes that were educational but fun. The teaching and admin staff were great and supportive. I have zero regrets working here and would recommend the experience to anyone.

Cons

The only negative are the 'winter' and 'summer courses' where you have to work more hours and manage a lot more responsibilities due to day classes occurring. However, I would also say that the courses were an interesting experience as well as it involved coordinating with the other teachers and had different activities then normal classes like crafts. It is a bit tiring, but it’s a couple months out of a whole year... and there is a feeling of satisfaction when you have finished the 4 weeks. Overall, you don’t work a ton of hours during the rest of the year to be honest, so it makes it a lot easier when the month comes around as you know it’ll be back to normal soon enough.

EF Education First2019-12-05
  7. "contagiously happy and hardworking people"

Current Employee - Content Manager in Hong Kong

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are always willing to drop things to help (even across time zones) and that type of spirit is contagious; it makes you want to go above and beyond. It's a super welcoming environment. The people are quirky and fun—I have come to work and laughed every single day that I am here. things move quickly and if you have a good idea be ready to implement it tomorrow. You get to feel really good about the work that... you do because our products are helping people connect and understand one another all around the world.

Cons

There seems to be a disparity between people who work for EF in an office and people who work for EF temporarily (whether as a teacher or as operations summer staff). I would love to see every EF employee feel cared for and that they are part of the larger EF family to help grow retention in these areas.

EF Education First2019-12-04
  8. "Take more care of your employees"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

children are great and had alot of fun times.

Cons

work life balance and pay.

EF Education First2019-11-27

"Great colleagues, great culture"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Extremely positive, fast paced environment. Lots of responsibility and opportunities to take ownership

Cons

Not the place for you if you need a lot of structure or defined processes.

Advice to Management

Keep building the culture

EF Education First2019-11-21
  10. "Loved it...mostly"

Former Employee - Product Owner in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Start-up culture in digital team, within a big organisation. Generally great people. Inspiring vision.

Cons

Internally used products were great to work on. Inspiring vision to develop products for third party use, but without the plan to deliver it.

EF Education First2019-11-23