EF Education First English Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 29 Oct 2019

3.1
EF Education First CEO Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
  1. "Great team environment"

Former Employee - English Language Teacher

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

EF has an amazing team of teachers. The sense of camaraderie and support is undeniable and makes the work environment thoroughly enjoyable.

Cons

It's not necessarily a con but there's a range of general English and specialized classes which will stretch your teaching skills. Extra CPD support is provided however.

EF Education First2018-05-28
  2. "Corporation wrapped up as a school"

Former Contractor - English Teacher

I worked at EF Education First for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Dreadful working conditions Very low salary, especially bearing in mind all the sacrifices they ask you to make, and the money they get from students Everyone is replaceable for them, so they drain you up, and simply replace you when you cannot take it anymore

Advice to Management

Work on your human skills

EF Education First2019-04-15
  3. "A sustainable, low pressure gig"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Buenos Aires

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I moved to this job from being a classroom teacher as my last employer didn't pay my wages for four months. English Online constituted more stable employment, a better rate of pay and the end of unpaid work (marking exams, lesson planning, data entry). It took 6-8 months to feel really comfortable with it, but since then I've felt very comfortable in the online classroom. The pattern of teaching for 40-45 minutes... and having the rest of the hour to complete an evaluation form is sustainable. Other online platforms offer much shorter breaks, and the accumulated stress takes its toll eventually, even if they pay a bit better. I am able to develop good relationships with one-on-one students, sometimes up to 100 classes over more than a year. It is difficult to get that kind of student loyalty working as an independent teacher. Teachers are paid via Payoneer, which works well. I am able to send money to my bank account in my home country or the country where I live. Payoneer seems to charge for currency exchange but not for a simple transaction in USD. It may be a good idea to set up your own Payoneer account before you add English Live as a payee, in order to have the full range of payment options. A few times, I have tried to move to other platforms and it didn't work out. English Live has allowed me to return to my old job on each occasion.

Cons

Online teaching is not quite as much fun as working in a real classroom. Punishments, such as a reduction in scheduling priority, for breaking the rules e.g. deleting schedules so you can do better paid work for another company, are administered silently. You are not notified of specifically what you did wrong, how much you are being punished or for how long. Responses via Contact Us are often disinterested... and occasionally quite rude. The variable pay day from the 16th to the 25th of month is pretty unbearable. Some online platforms are able to pay on the 15th every month. Others pay weekly. The evaluation system means that anything less than a five-star evaluation or no evaluation is bad news. A bad tempered student can smash your evaluation average with one hit, without having to explain themselves.

Advice to Management

I would not presume to advise the management on any issue, but I do hope that the kids platform is fully rolled out quite soon.

EF Education First2019-10-30

"English teacher"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility to pursue other work also, gorgeous children & interesting work

Cons

Base line pay needed increasing

EF Education First2019-09-26
  5. "Great experience - good starting role if no prior experience"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Guangzhou, Guangdong

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

- personal development opportunities - team atmosphere and sharing mentality - management - job autonomy - hours

Cons

- pay was less than competitors - a lot of admin time and if you're co-teachers aren't pulling their weight it affects your appraisal. - experience varies depending on the centre you work at [some are way more relaxed than others]

EF Education First2019-09-24
  6. "Huge Company"

Current Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

- There's a lot of support before and when you arrive with visa documents, finding housing etc. - The schools are all super modern and clean - Class sizes are small maximum or ten or sixteen depending on age - Detailed lessons plans and lots of resources

Cons

- There are over twenty schools across the city, each run very differently. Lack of consistency between them can be frustrating. - Staff in charge of school who don't know how to manage. - Uneven teaching schedules amongst teachers

EF Education First2019-09-23

"Worst company to work for in China"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A few talented teacher trainers

Cons

Sexual harrassment from managers, harrassment from DoS, profanities from line managers, recruiters lie about salary for experienced teachers, bad company values, no fair guidance for career development, inhuman treatment of hardworking teachers. Honesty and professional attitude are not appreciated. Teachers are only treated well if they are friends with the DoS.

Advice to Management

Treat your European teachers fairly.

EF Education First2019-10-22
  8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Bryanston

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great and secure office. EF has hands-on supervisors, managers and HR department. A good incentive is given if a specific rating is reached.

Cons

Low pay compared to other online platforms. Teachers sit quite close together so students might hear other teachers around, especially if the teachers are loud.

Advice to Management

Higher, more competitive salary considering teachers have to teach all levels with a variety of different (and sometimes complex) topics.

EF Education First2019-09-10
  9. "it depends"

Current Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher in Manila, Manila

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are hired while living in the US, the base pay rate is quite a bit higher than from outside. A few years ago there was an enormous amount of work available. I worked 50 hours a week and always had classes assigned.

Cons

The base pay is only ten USD per hour from outside the US and it takes a year to get a one dollar raise. It tops out at 13 per hour but they can take it away so quickly it will make your head spin. Lately the amount of work has nearly vanished. I can't get any honest answers from management.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how you treat teachers and stop being so blatantly biases in favor of the students. Stop allowing a bad review from a student to dramatically adversely affect the teacher's pay rate.

EF Education First2019-09-18

"Beware of Shady "Center Managers" and Lack of Communication Between Chinese and U,S, "Headquarters""

Former Contractor - Online English Teacher in Loveland, CO

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

You will most likely receive a lot of students if that is what you seek. The curriculum is built in and you can use your own materials, but most parents don't approve of this.

Cons

So many, but you don't realize any of them until after a month or so: 1. Parents can schedule you for 30 classes and then cancel you on a whim. This only happened to me twice, but can Luzon imagine how it feels when it happens to people a lot. 2. The American centers in the U.S. DO NOT communicate with the online EF support team. I provided documentation to the EF online center as to why I missed a class. The... information and explanation is accepted by the EF online center and you receive a message that the "case is closed." You assume the situation is resolved. However, I received a RUDE message from someone in one of their U.S. hub locations telling me that I am breaching my contract. I explained that I provided documentation and the case was closed. I THEN provided the U.S. team the SAME documentation. They were very obtuse and told me that I could no longer work there because I missed classes that were already confirmed as excusable/reasonable absences. I was sent a blanket email terminating my employment and would not. Now, I had a fully booked schedule (200 plus classes per month for six months out), am a licensed teacher of many years, , TESOL certified, come highly recommended by families and former employers, liked by students, input a lots of materials into my classes, etc. I have taught ALL ages both in a brick and mortar schools for 12 year sand have taught online for five. I am good at what I do, but EF had zero faith in what I stated, were rude, unprofessional, AND sent an email terminating my teaching position that I put everything into. You are simply a number on a spreadsheet and not a teacher, and not an individual. BE CAREFUL. They present as very open to personal experiences, state that they are respectful that people have lives, mishaps, etc. I have a toddler and things do occasionally happen. I have never been more duped than anywhere else. They want to overwork you and hang you out to dry when you are experience! RUN. Do not teach heree

Advice to Management

HORRIBLE center management with NO experience. You will not be valued and dismissed with ease, no second thought about you as an individual. Disgusting.

EF Education First2019-10-06