EF Education First English Teacher Reviews

Updated 23 May 2020

EF Education First CEO  Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
  1. "Great team environment"

5.0
    Former Employee - English Language Teacher

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

EF has an amazing team of teachers. The sense of camaraderie and support is undeniable and makes the work environment thoroughly enjoyable.

Cons

It's not necessarily a con but there's a range of general English and specialized classes which will stretch your teaching skills. Extra CPD support is provided however.

EF Education First2018-05-28

"Corporation wrapped up as a school"

Former Contractor - English Teacher

I worked at EF Education First for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Dreadful working conditions Very low salary, especially bearing in mind all the sacrifices they ask you to make, and the money they get from students Everyone is replaceable for them, so they drain you up, and simply replace you when you cannot take it anymore

EF Education First2019-04-15
  3. "A review for you"

Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at EF Education First part-time

Pros

Good people, productive but chill culture

Cons

The school closed for reasons unknown.

EF Education First2020-05-16
  4. "Solid choice for anyone looking to begin a TEFL career abroad"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fully sort your visa, standardized procedures, comprehensive curriculum, thorough training before teaching students, lots of room for upward mobility

Cons

Working hours are kind of long compared to alternatives, pay is low at the start

EF Education First2020-05-11
  5. "Read if interested"

Former Employee - Online English Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Chance to live in China Meet new people from around the world Experience a different lifestyle and culture

Cons

Don't get paid much, if you're looking to make money to bring back to the States you will really have to save Monthly pay is under $2000 USD which you can easily get by on in China but like I stated before, coming back to the US after you'd have to save alot BUT also I'd suggest going out and living the experience, who knows when you'll have the opportunity to live in China again!

EF Education First2020-05-04

May 7, 2020Teacher Welfare Director

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you were able to experience China and meet people from all over the world while working with us. In regards to salary, we do review our salaries on a regular basis to make sure we are competitive in the market but we will of course take this feedback onboard.

6. "Disfunctional Management, Fast Food Education"

Former Employee - Online English Teacher in London, England

I worked at EF Education First part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great material, prompt payment. Great opportunity to develop on your own.

Cons

Bad pay. Disfunctional and biased management. Terrible management communication. Management do not follow any UK procedures, bully staff and fabricate evidence. The company does not value its teachers and operates a "McDonald's" type of learning. Teachers are essentially trained robots and are treated as such. Personality cults are rife. Terrible company culture - nepotism is extensive.

EF Education First2020-05-24

"Support your teachers"

Current Contractor - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Good teaching experience for online learning and for TESOL experience. Schedule is flexible.

Cons

I was encouraged during the training process to use the contact us tab to notify EF of any classroom issues. I had three occasions where students would not do the work, make rude faces into the camera, turn the camera away, completely ignore me, leave their seat, and one even left the class 10 minutes in after doing all of the above. I do what their protocol wants and contact the company to let them know about the events, along with screenshots of the empty online classroom. All three instances I received emails back telling ME what I could have done better and it basically turned into it being MY fault. I get it. I'm a contractor that can be fired and a new one hired in an instant as TESOL is a big deal in places like China so companies like EF are not short on hiring and providing classes. It's all about the money. This was extremely discouraging as I felt that I did my best in handling these situations and each time the follow-up emails made know mention about how this would be addressed with the students and their families about their behavior. Another thing is that I convinced two friends to try for EF using my referral link, both were hired and I never got the $50/hired referral promised. I will not be renewing my contract when it expires this month. I will be going elsewhere. Please reconsider this company before applying if you want an employer (albeit contracted) who at least supports you minimally.

EF Education First2020-05-10
  8. "Flexible, good company to work for!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Liverpool, England

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Choose your own schedule, work from home. Flexible. Always pay on time. Progression opportunities.

Cons

Parents/Students can cancel classes last minute. Schedule can be up and down. Hours not always guaranteed.

EF Education First2020-03-30

April 2, 2020Vice President of Recruitment and Employee Development

So glad to hear you are enjoying the flexibility and opportunity to grow at EF! I hope you continue to thrive here!

9. "Pretty good place"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing, helpful coworkers, great benefits, time off

Cons

Low pay, education isn't important even if it's relevant

EF Education First2020-03-24

March 30, 2020Director

Thank you for this feedback! We certainly agree that our colleagues at EF are very special people and we are very proud of our strong company culture. In terms of salary, we do review our compensation structure regularly to ensure we are offering a competitive package. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

10. "Positive Working Environment"

Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff, Wonderful Boss, Beautiful Working Space

Cons

No Benefits for part time instructors

EF Education First2020-03-11

March 16, 2020Director

Thank you for your feedback and we wish you all the best in your future EF career!

Found 161 reviews