EF Education First Activity Leader Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Dr. Edward Hult
  1. "Activity Leader"

Former Contractor - Activity Leader in Cork

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

A lot of fun if youre in the right environment, also youre given a lot of indendence/responsibility which can be very rewarding.

Cons

A lot more work than advertised, however most staff are in same position and can make it very enjoyable work

EF Education First2019-07-11
  2. "Low Cost Business Model"

Current Employee - Activity Leader in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Use of resources are very good

Cons

Long hours, customer concern over staff concern, profit before welfare

Advice to Management

Change of culture and morale needed

EF Education First2019-07-23
  3. "Activity Leader"

Former Employee - Activity Leader in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun, active summer job, decent salary

Cons

little time off, stressful at times

EF Education First2018-08-02
  4. "Fun job, amazing experience"

Current Employee - Activity Leader

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Its an excellent company to work with. Work mates and whole team are extraordinary. Such a fun and great experience.

Cons

Have quite a lot of responsibilities and the pay does not match the amount of work.

EF Education First2019-10-20
  5. "EF"

Current Contractor - Activity Leader in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

- great co-workers - fun job - get to do activities in London for free

Cons

- stressful - work more hours than you get paid for

EF Education First2019-08-06
  6. "Getting paid to play and promote diversity"

Former Contractor - Activity Leader

I worked at EF Education First

Pros

Students are curious and ready to learn of English and other different cultures. As a local of LA, I also experienced new and interesting places.

Cons

There could be some stress if there’s people who don’t do well under pressure. Communication skills are key as well. Overall, working with positive people makes the job experience worthwhile.

EF Education First2019-08-01
  7. "Worst job ever"

Current Contractor - EF Activity Leader in Torquay, England

I have been working at EF Education First for more than a year

Pros

Get to meet nice people and students

Cons

Lack of organisation and management is beyond a joke.

EF Education First2019-08-26

"Exciting but Unorganized Workplace"

Former Employee - Activity Leader in Thornwood, NY

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

dynamic team, exciting work culture, excursions, decent pay

Cons

Unorganized, don't generally respond to suggestions

Advice to Management

Listen more to suggestions of lower level staff, we're more on the front lines of customer service but are often ignored

EF Education First2019-07-09
  9. "The company should be called Money First, not Education First."

Current Contractor - Activity Leader in Brighton, England

I have been working at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

I met some amazing people working here and have made genuine friends from across Europe. I have also had some really nice moments with my kids, you really do bond with some of them, saying goodbye to my seniors was really emotional for me!

Cons

This was my first summer working with EF and it will be my last. I would not recommend it as an employee or even sending your child here. It's almost immoral the way this company is run. Here is a quick list of the main things I found about this company after working for them for a month: 1) The level of organisation among senior staff is very poor. While a certain amount of chaos in situations with so many... moving parts is to be expected, a lot of situations that were very much foreseeable were not anticipated and this left leaders in stressful and sometimes dangerous situations. (Think using public buses to transport 500 students from one bus stop to a university at 10 pm at night) 2)The sales office in individual countries often exaggerates what EF courses actually provide, and when the food/activities/management/accommodation falls short it is left to the activity & course leaders to deal with these complaints. Not the senior staff and not the sales office. 3)Hours are long and the work is mostly thankless - this is especially true for juniors. My colleagues and I work from 7 am until 10.30 pm 6 days a week as we have to get the kids up to bring them to breakfast and walk 25 min/travel 2 hours on a coach to that days activity - yes, TWO HOURS; over and back 4) There is a HUGE emphasis on the end of course feedback from students; whether or not they would recommend EF to a friend. EF is a company that totally focuses on their bottom line and on marketing. Example; their EF Brighton Instagram page they heavily feature Brighton home-stay - a lovely campus in the center of Brighton, very picturesque with lots of instagramable 'wow' moments. About 75% of EF Brighton students do not go here but to the University of Sussex/Falmer - nowhere near the beach and without all those little touches. But many students do not realize this until they arrive. 5) There is a very strange almost propaganda-like message that comes from senior staff; there is definitely an attitude that everything is great and if you complain about anything you are the problem/ have a poor attitude/ must work harder. It becomes difficult to provide that 'EF Sparkle' after working an 84 hour week in a high stress, high-responsibility environment with little support from senior staff. Perhaps there is an EF center somewhere in the world that is well run and provides what the sales office sells the parents. I have yet to hear about it if it does exist.

Advice to Management

Better pay for staff - Activity and Course Leaders especially earn next nothing (I worked out that I get paid an average of £3.20 an hour for a 14 hour day, 6 days a week) Smaller staff ratio for juniors - 1:17 is manageable for seniors, it should be 1:10 for juniors Shorter days for juniors - the kids do incredibly long days and the nutritional value of the food is awful, they may as well eat McDonald's every day... for 2 weeks Better communication from senior staff - it is clear to anyone who deals with them that senior staff do not communicate well enough and this has caused more headaches for myself and my colleagues that I can ever put into words.

EF Education First2019-07-28
  10. "EF Activity leader"

Current Contractor - EF Activity Leader

I have been working at EF Education First

Pros

Good for a summer job

Cons

Too long hours . No training

EF Education First2019-05-29