DreamBox Learning Employee Reviews about "career growth"

Updated 5 Jul 2017

3.8
DreamBox Learning President, CEO, & Chairman  Jessie Woolley-Wilson (no image)
Jessie Woolley-Wilson
Pros
  • "The product is amazing, especially the parts that went through multiple betas before being shipped(in 6 reviews)

• "You can't help kids that you can't reach(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Since it's a growing company, it can seem like there is always more that needs to be done than can be done(in 5 reviews)

• "Senior management is not integrated with the field teams and is not inclusive looking for new ideas to solve problems(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "career growth"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Work"

5.0

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Work with a bunch of smart people to make a real difference in kid's lives across the country.

Cons

No formal career growth ladder.

"Good product but lots of room for improvement in Leadership"

2.0

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

DreamBox is a wonderful program created to help students succeed, especially when the student believes "they just aren't good at math". Helping children is the most rewarding part of this company.

Cons

No clear path to career growth, flat organization. No raises, management has clear favorites they are given projects and accolades continually while others who work hard are ignored for not "playing" along with management's favoritism. They try to bring "culture" into the company but lack of budget, hinders or makes these functions few and far between. We have been told by management this team will not always be "fair" or seem "fair", I don't agree with that. There is always a way to manage your team in a "fair" manner. Senior level leadership members are leaving and that makes staff nervous.

April 13, 2017HR Specialist

We are happy to hear that you believe DBL is an effective program and that you are contributing to student success. There are many different roles here within DBL and we have distributed many promotions over the last year and a handful these last few weeks. There is zero tolerance for favoritism here and we hope you will report any suspicious behavior to HR. We currently encourage regular performance conversations to make sure each employee is on the right path and has the opportunity to advance. We also provide management training to our managers to improve their skills and experience. If you have additional ideas how we could support career growth of our people we encourage you to talk to HR.

"Great product, struggling management"

4.0

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

What has to be the most game changing component to come to market for math education is hands down the best thing going on here. The creativity of development is amazing.

Cons

Management is often mislead and doesn't provide adequate opportunity for career growth, a mid stage startup has it's growing pains, but most companies have their own issues

April 13, 2017HR Specialist

We agree with you that this company is full of creative individuals and that we have an excellent product. As we are growing there are many opportunities for career growth. Being a mid-stage start-up means that we don’t have every process in place and we encourage our people to take the accountability for initiating their career conversations. Waiting for your manager to plan your progression might not be the best approach as most of our managers are player coaches and have many other competing priorities. We hope to see every employee excel within DreamBox.

"Lacks long-term growth"

1.0

I worked at DreamBox Learning

Pros

The company has a great product that is tailored to the individual needs of kids. Pet friendly environment for those who need or like to bring their dogs to work. The benefits are overall pretty good The people you work with are the best part about it - its a fun bunch that make going to work worth it

Cons

The leadership is dysfunctional. They lack long-term strategic planning - very reactive to the marketplace. Unless this company gets acquired, the long-term outlook is not very good. The time that I was there, the product roadmap seemed to change every few months. Middle management adds zero value and is more of a glorified babysitter who get paid to waste your time and micro-manage. For a company of this size, its truly disappointing to see the leadership only caring about sales and not investing any effort in getting to know the employees. You will have more interaction with the CEO's dog than herself. Very little room for career growth. They don't give you the tools to grow and make your job more efficient. Also, the pay is below market standards.

January 12, 2016VP User Experience

Thank you for your direct feedback. The people at DreamBox who develop, support, market and sell our product enable students around the country to experience math in a more personalized and meaningful way, which is a powerful driver for the many talented people who bring their best to work every day. It’s concerning that you did not feel connected to our vision, strategic plan, and roadmap in your time with us. DreamBox is growing quickly and is in a market that is also evolving rapidly. So we need to stay nimble and adapt to those market needs as they evolve too. With limited resources this can mean shifting priorities. However, it sounds like we may need to continue to work on how we communicate those shifts. We agree that we need to do a better job with employee training and development. Our people are our most important asset and without them, we will not be able to achieve our mission - -to transform the way the world learns.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 4 reviews