Domio Reviews

3.9
Domio CEO Jay Roberts
Jay Roberts
Pros
Cons
  • "Growing pains, but not much more than that(in 6 reviews)

• "Warning to any potential candidates: the positive Glassdoor ratings are all from HR, upper management, or investors(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Hustling to Hustle"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Domio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture (within tech/design at least), full of people I genuinely connected with.

Cons

Lots of ideology on the walls. Incredibly stressful work, due to the largest backlog of debt I've ever seen in a codebase. This debt I believe was due to inexperience on the part of past developers, as well as external and cultural demands encouraging these developers to work "fast" and "hard" (sloppily and unsustainably). This debt is a sizeable reverse-mortgage of the time and cognitive energy of any future developers who join in the future. When you see other reviews talk about hustling, bustling, startup culture, this is what they are referring to - working very hard, hair on fire, but only as a function of building things unsustainably in the first place. And they want you to set your hair on fire too. That work culture is counterproductive and entirely self-imposed. Despite everything, we were making decent progress into tackling the aforementioned debt, until Domio appointed a Blackstone executive to its board and let almost all of the engineers go (as well as many critical people in other departments) months, weeks, or in some cases days after hiring them. So it goes. I honestly feel lucky being among those let go, knowing the remaining engineers will need to hit the same targets, with less than half the staff, and without the opportunity to focus on refactoring into a more sustainable development process.

April 15, 2020CEO

Thank you for providing feedback about your time with Domio. We value your input and it is very important for us to continue this conversation and address your concerns. One of our most important objectives is to have happy employees and cultivate a positive culture. I have an open-door policy to all team members. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at any time on my mobile number below or email me to discuss your concerns regarding how we can improve going forward. Thanks a lot. Jay Roberts - CEO M: 949.300.9390 E: jay@staydomio.com

"Absolute Mess"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Domio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleague who truly care about you and weathering the new daily storm from mgmt together

Cons

Just chaos every day... -A CEO who doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't seem to care other than making himself look good. There was an ongoing joke that you had to make sure you had the last meeting with him before any major decision to get your way. -A retaliative executive team who would actively seek to fire anyone who disagreed with them, creating a culture of fear and yes people. -A reliance on low-wage overworked staff while the bloated executive team seems to actually work once or twice a week -An HR team that looked the other way as leadership would encourage excessive drinking and allowed sexual harassment by senior leadership. Of course, the terrible leadership led to some major issues with the product itself: -Dirty buildings with cockroaches, bug bugs, and more! -Bad, inconsistent cleaning standards (i would be terrified to be staying a Domio now) -A lack of security for guests that led to break-ins, bikes stolen, and drug use at nearly every property. The company is the Instagram ad of hospitality. Looks good on from afar, but just junk once you get in.

3. "No growth"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Domio full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who worked at Domio were really nice.

Cons

No growth path and disorganized.

"Domio is the future of hospitality"

I have been working at Domio full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many positive things to say about working at Domio. We have a great mission of connecting the world through travel. We hire talented people who really care about their work and the company. Not only do we hire smart people, but we also focus on culture fit. AND our customers love us. Read our reviews on TripAdvisor and Airbnb!!! The company is very inclusive and has a lot of female leaders throughout. We also continue to out maneuver our competitors and sign great properties. The CEO recently gave us a company wide update and the business is doing extremely well. As someone who has worked at Domio for over a year, I find a number of the negative reviews on here unfair. The majority of us at the company are excited and optimistic about where we're headed.

Cons

Sometimes the new systems and processed that are rolled out take some time to work out the kinks but our feedback is always considered. More frequent company wide updates. Leadership is already making strides to keep us updated.

April 15, 2020CEO

Thank you for your positive feedback. As always, please let me know how we can improve your experience and as an organization. You can reach me anytime by cell or email. Jay Roberts - CEO M: 949.300.9390 E: jay@staydomio.com

5. "Innovative Company with Potential!"

I have been working at Domio full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an exciting time to be at Domio! We're on the forefront of travel, tech and real estate. Over the year and half with the Domio, I have seen the company grow from providing professionalized vacation rentals to launching the industry's first branded apartment hotels. There's tremendous growth opportunities at Domio both from a company and personal standpoint. Though there has been changes in company strategy, I believe the company is making the right moves to differentiate itself from other companies in our space. People: I'm excited to come to work every to work alongside intelligent, talented, collaborate and kind colleagues Culture: Contrary to some of the other reviews on here, I enjoy the collaborative and open work environment. There are many departments (10+) in NY alone all working toward the same goal and projects Bright future: As I mentioned there have been some strategic changes but I believe that leadership is making the necessary and difficult decisions to position the company for success

Cons

Work hours can be long at times when it's go-time (launching new apartment hotels for example) but it's consistent with other fast-growing startups

April 15, 2020CEO

Our team members are our number one priority. Thank you for hard work in helping us achieve our mission of connecting the world through travel. As always, please let me know how we can improve your experience and as an organization. You can reach me anytime by cell or email. Jay Roberts - CEO M: 949.300.9390 E: jay@staydomio.com

6. "Amazing culture that makes you feel like you’re part of the family"

I have been working at Domio full-time for more than a year

Pros

I absolutely love the culture at Domio. Think of it as a college classroom where you instantly get positive vibes from the professor and your fellow classmates the moment you enter the classroom. That’s how I feel about my managers and co-workers at Domio. Lots of smart folks who love to have fun, but who are also serious about focusing and getting work done when it comes time to meet deadlines.

Cons

The workload is nonstop. After a while it becomes easier to organize your time and really get stuff done. Though it’s tiring there’s always a sense of accomplishment by the end of the day.

Continue reading

"Lack of strong leadership team with no strategy"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Domio full-time

Pros

Culture, people and overall glad I had the experience

Cons

Lack of leadership aligning with strategy. If you ask what a DOMIO is, they change their minds daily. Everyone is always walking on edge wondering when they will get laid off. Unfortunately, they have eaten away most of their cash left.

8. "High demand and fast growth"

I have been working at Domio full-time for less than a year

Pros

It feels great to work in a company that’s expanding so quickly in the commercial real estate sector. Management makes it a point to make sure the entire company is in line with the company vision.

Cons

Create more realistic deadlines for the amount of work we’re given. I get it. We’re a startup that’s trying to make a name for ourselves in the market, so we need to make aggressive moves to stand out from the competition. However, consider slowing down to avoid burning out your employees.

Continue reading
  9. "A startup you can really get behind"

I have been working at Domio full-time for less than a year

Pros

It really helps to work for a company you believe in and that has a future. I’ve worked in stagnant work environments where everyone felt stuck. No chance for promotion. No predictions of growth. No forward movement in the market. Nothing. Domio has a vision that has truly driven its massive growth. The great part about it all is that as the company grows, everyone grows with it.

Cons

Lines of communication need to be established to keep up with the constantly shifting workloads and timelines. We’re all acclimating to changes, so it’s understandable we’re running into a few issues.

Continue reading
  10. "A fantastic company to work for"

I have been working at Domio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of great people to work with. You’ll be required to work in teams often which require you to grow closer to your co-workers. One of the best parts of working at Domio was connecting with the people around me every day. For this reason alone (amongst others) I look forward to coming in every day.

Cons

The backlog of work we’re required to tackle can be a bit much. You’re constantly working from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave. If you’re not a hard worker, this may not be the job for you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 93 Reviews