Debenhams Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 12 Nov 2019

3.1
Debenhams CEO Sergio Bucher
Sergio Bucher
  1. "part time permanent employee positiona"

I have been working at Debenhams part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Quite eratic depending on what manager

Debenhams2018-09-26
  2. "Not worth the hassle for so little money."

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Debenhams part-time for less than a year

Pros

Other sales assistants are friendly and welcoming, as are a handful of supervisors.

Cons

- Rotas are not done digitally, and regularly changed with little to no notice. - The floor I worked on was understaffed to the point where staff were fed up being expected to clean an entire floor in 15 minutes before close. - Management can be a clique and can switch on you in an instant. - Personally, I found the management to be manipulative and unprofessional, and failed to recognize that sometimes people... work part-time because they are have other priorities, and in turn, incredibly particular with what they put in writing and what they did not (as it might put them in the wrong). - No feedback is given ''unless it has to be given'' (meaning, issues only appear when it suits the manager, even if supervisors are unaware of said issues) - Barely above minimum wage despite advertising positions with a ''competitive'' salary

Advice to Management

Hire more staff, and show them respect, do not expect part time workers to prioritize this job over other obligations, and do not try to manipulate them into doing so.

Debenhams2018-10-01
  3. "Christmas Temp"

Former Employee - Christmas Temp in Blanchardstown

I worked at Debenhams part-time for less than a year

Pros

Stuck to contracted hours Friendly staff & management Good pay Great mix of time on the floor and time on the tills - barely ever spent a full shift on tills Training was basic Made sure you got holidays

Cons

Management would often forget days/times you couldn't do - this was fixed asap when they were told Managers were often hard to find due to lack of them on the floor, somedays only one manager was in charge of a whole floor

Advice to Management

Hire more managers and make a timetable of employees requested days off

Debenhams2018-05-02
  4. "Good retail job"

I worked at Debenhams part-time

Pros

Competitive salary, good team environment

Cons

Can be understaffed at times

Debenhams2018-03-01
  5. "Visual merchandiser"

I have been working at Debenhams part-time

Pros

Variety of work, anonymity

Cons

Poor investment in infrastructure. Lack of commitment and investment in staff.

Advice to Management

Modernise business

Debenhams2018-03-06
  6. "Lovely place to work"

I worked at Debenhams part-time

Pros

Management easy to approach . Staff are the best of the best . Lovely people with a passion for what they do .

Cons

Sometimes felt as if i were micromanaged

Debenhams2018-02-05
  7. "Overall good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Debenhams part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally good vision Good teams generally across departments. Overall fair, if you are willing to work and compromise sometimes with your superior, you can usually get to a point that works best for both. Flexibility of hours, within reason the work-life balance is good.

Cons

Politics and cliques in departments can isolate some staff and make for an unpleasant working environment. Favouritism can occur and it is often those favoured who move up the ladder or are given the bigger tasks. Managerial styles vary greatly and,again, this can make for a negative working environment. Managers are not monitored enough or trained properly and this can lead to unmotivated teams who do the... bare minimum and lose sight of the customer focused vision of the company. Too many old staff who are stuck in their ways and are allowed to continue to do things the old way, with little input from a superior.

Advice to Management

Innovation is key in order to grow. An upgrade of training, with regular upskilling and review will encourage staff to grow together and lessen the gap between old and new staff. A less laid back approach to managements training and input would also help. Encourage middle management to be more involved and to listen to their front line staff and take on board what they say. Genuinely good workers are being ignored... and they have their ears to the ground in terms of what the customer wants.

Debenhams2018-02-15
  8. "I don't have money, but what I do have, is a very particular set of skills........Not"

I worked at Debenhams part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Two pro's and one is more of a con unless you enjoy being broke. My co-workers were amazing, funny and friendly. Work-Life balance is good because the hours are nearly non existent.

Cons

Bad contract hours (12). Time and half on Sunday and time in lieu, the time in lieu I could never take and eventually stopped getting Sunday work as I suspect my hourly was too high. subsequent contracts for other employees after me were paid at time and a third. Not sure if they even offer that now. Extra hours offered but dissipated as my hourly rate increased yearly. Biased promotion i.e. management... promoted/put forth for recognition those who they got on best with (mostly students who had no intention of staying there). Was told I would get training that I had been seeking, was constantly put on the long finger and given excuses, never got it. Was strung along on the promise of a promotion I never received. Constantly cut hours back to contract throughout the year i.e. after xmas/sales/at random.

Advice to Management

People cant live off 12-15 hours work a week.

Debenhams2018-02-27

"christmas staff"

Current Employee - Sale

I have been working at Debenhams part-time

Pros

good pay. good hours, nice staff, discount

Cons

line manager, night shifts, no till training

Advice to Management

treat your staff the same as your regular staff.

Debenhams2018-01-03
  10. "Loving it"

Current Employee - Sales Adviser in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Debenhams part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities for extra hours over your contract Great colleagues Good chance to progress

Cons

Not well informed about shift changes Very hard to permanently up your contract hours

Debenhams2017-12-20