Compassion International Employee Reviews about "children from poverty"

Updated Sep 28, 2021

Found 26 of over 330 reviews

4.1
Compassion International President and CEO Jimmy Mellado
Jimmy Mellado
Pros
  • "The mission at Compassion (has) always been forefront to its core, "Releasing Children from Poverty in Jesus' Name"(in 26 reviews)

• "Great mission, passionate employees(in 20 reviews)

• Cons
  • "At times, this leads to unsustainable commitment on the part ministry(in 18 reviews)

• "Growing pains due to rapid acceleration from child sponsorship acquisitions(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "children from poverty"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Project Accountant

Sep 28, 2021 - Project Accountant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Releasing children from poverty in Jesus name

Cons

low salary working at the projects

Compassion International Response

Thank you for your thoughts and thank you for your service with Compassion!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Mar 21, 2021 - Marketing Director in Accra
      Business Outlook

Pros

A very solid faith based organisation with a mission to release children from poverty in Jesus name

Cons

A very limited in scope organisation

Thank you for sharing!

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Concern of shifting priorities

Feb 26, 2021 - Senior Director in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compassion has been known worldwide as a premier child development organization that has lived out its Christ focused purpose. For nearly 70 years the lives of children have been greatly impacted for kingdom and these lives with the ripple effect has gone on to touch many millions more. The mission at Compassion (has) always been forefront to its core, "Releasing Children from Poverty in Jesus' Name".

Cons

To counter my comment about on the "pro", Compassion is losing its way, mission drift is happening and a secular mindset has been gradually seeping in the last couple years. But in 2021 with the massive layoffs in Marketing and the very poor way the executive team has displayed themselves in this effort, many a greatly saddened by the turn this once great organization has taken. I clearly remember Compassion's 50th anniversary where Wess Stafford challenged the global family to continually address the question, "Is it STILL all about Jesus", so as not to lose its way and become another NGO that is doing "good things", but is sanitized of its core purpose to "be the hands and feet of Christ'. Clearly the greatest drive with the leadership is staying "relevant" in a changing world. The focus on inculcating diversity is now a greater drive than making sure Christ and his mission is in the forefront.

12 people found this review helpful

Compassion International

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Like you, we fondly remember Compassion’s 50th anniversary celebration, including our commitment to always remain a Christ-centered ministry. Jesus is everything to us, to our mission, and to how we go about accomplishing that mission. That will always remain true. We’re sorry you believe we have drifted from that anchor. We still cling to that 50th anniversary pledge of keeping it all about Jesus just as tightly today as we did when we made it. Sometimes the necessary changes that accompany growth (adopting new strategies, capabilities, technologies and structures), may be perceived as mission drift, but we do not see it that way. Our motivation in undertaking that hard work, and surrendering those decisions, capabilities, tools and strategies to God’s will, comes only from a moral imperative to advance life-transforming outcomes with more children more quickly. We firmly believe that God is calling us to continue building on our past legacy as we strive to meet the ever-growing needs of children living in unacceptable poverty. The marketing redesign is just a part of our response to that call. The goal is not just to be relevant. It’s to increase our effectiveness and efficiency in reaching even more children. Some facts might be helpful. Compassion continues to be in a growth season as we look to expand into 4 new countries in the near future. While positions are being eliminated in the marketing redesign, due to reallocation of resources to other efforts that are yielding greater productivity and to important new capabilities, many new roles are also being created as a result. Presently, Compassion has over 125 openings, most of which are directly tied to the marketing redesign effort. And on the topic of diversity, we believe that it is a positive thing for our leadership to more closely reflect the diversity that is present in God’s global church that we serve, while not compromising on competence. Although change is difficult on many fronts, we will prayerfully keep working toward the day when all children in poverty are thriving toward their God-given potential. Thank you for your many years of faithful service to Compassion’s cause. We can’t begin to imagine the kingdom impact that your efforts have enabled, but God knows. And we pray that he will continue to bless you and guide you in this next chapter of your journey.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good place to work

Feb 22, 2021 - Director of Operations in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good programs for children in poverty

Cons

Could be more inclusive with staff and partners

Compassion International

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful Company

Aug 31, 2020 - Workforce Management Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name is the greatest reason to work for this wonderful organization!

Cons

I didn't have any cons, I loved it!

1 person found this review helpful

Compassion International

Thank you for your response! We are so glad you enjoyed working here!

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Poor Leadership and Ego

Sep 6, 2020 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff love the mission of Compassion and genuinely want to help children in poverty. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Current Senior leadership egos are destroying the love of the mission. Too much fear-based management, and back stabbing. Compassion used to be a great place to work. No longer.

1 person found this review helpful

Compassion International

Thank you for your post. We value everyone’s opinion and are sorry to hear about your personal experience. We have tremendous trust in our leaders, who are working hard during these difficult times to protect and grow our ministry. As there is always room for improvement, our leaders strive to grow as they lead. If you have any specific examples you can share with your human resources representative, we would love to hear from you.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

The mission is needed even more now!

Apr 27, 2020 - Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The incredible commitment to mission at every level of the organization. It’s especially fulfilling and humbling to serve the frontline care givers who are the hands and feet of Jesus in such tangible ways. Grateful for the thoughtful and responsible strategic plan that is in place which also honors the complexity of what it takes to successfully release children from poverty in Jesus’ name.

Cons

When the vision is compelling and so much good to be done, it’s hard to focus on the most important work that generates the most progress. At times, this leads to unsustainable commitment on the part ministry.

Compassion International

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so grateful that you find value in the mission of releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name!

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Project Accountant

Jan 30, 2020 - Project Accountant in Mwanza
      Business Outlook

Pros

Releasing children from poverty in Jesus name

Cons

Two work two departments at once

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Starting to get sunny.

Jul 28, 2017 - Leader in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Helping the churches we work with globally help the kids. Releasing children from poverty globally is a powerful thing to support.

Cons

Coming out of the tail end of a lot of change, mostly related to systems. This has been exhausting for the teams working on it but will greatly improve our sponsor experience.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

I love my team at Compassion

Jul 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at Compassion for about a year and three months and I could not be happier. My manager genuinely cares about me and my personal and professional development. The people are the best part about working at Compassion. Everyone on my team and most of the people I have interacted with have the mission of releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name at the forefront of their minds. That really helps break down the barriers that could divide us. Everyone wants what's best for the mission. Having a strong mission mindset is helping to foster an amazing culture where everyone is building each other up.

Cons

Not so much of a downside as a personal preference. Cube-land is not my favorite thing. I wish the workspaces were more open and collaborative.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews