Clevertech Employee Reviews about "no benefits"

Updated 3 Jul 2020

3.8
Clevertech Founder Kuty Shalev (no image)
Kuty Shalev
Pros
  • "Remote work -- is always a plus to work from whenever you want in the world(in 25 reviews)

• "You get to work on really interesting projects(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "this is not a con of CT itself, but of the remote work style(in 19 reviews)

• "Every employee is a B2B contractor, so there's no benefits(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "no benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"Never work here if you have options"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than a year

Pros

CT hires highly competent people. Most projects are ambitious and cool. Minimal contact with the owners (they don't even know people's names!)

Cons

The worst employer I've ever had - they poise themselves as a company, but only so people don't think of them as a short-term gig consultancy - which is what they are. Projects are severely understaffed, lack DevOps infrastructure to scale, and do not have dedicated design / product / QA staff. Turnover is incredibly high due to low compensation and the lack of insulation between engineers and the client. There's a lot of pivoting (even for an agency), which makes 1 week sprints difficult and burns most employees out. Few last over 6 months. Terrible compensation and no benefits. Blame culture is highly prevalent here and the owners come across as sociopaths. You're a cog in a wheel, without technical oversight. US: CT does corp-to-corp only to avoid liability, meaning you'll have to create your own company and pay more in taxes (~15%). No unemployment insurance which is a big deal because great people are fired ALL the time. International: You practically need 6-8 hours of overlap time, no "flex" like CT may claim. Many of my colleagues started working at 2/3am local time.

Clevertech Response

July 6, 2020Founder

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that your experience was with competent co-workers and had ambitious projects. Also, its good to hear that you did not experience micro-management by the owners. I'm not sure at what time you worked here, but as of June 30, 2020 Clevertech had approximately 180 developers. Among them over 10 are in the devops role, and we have another 14 in product/qa/design. Turnover is something we keep close tabs on and we have added and continue to add a variety of benefits all themed for the remote-first group we have at Clevertech. These benefits are listed at https://www.clevertech.biz/careers We look to form long term relationships. And over 1/3 of the current staff at Clevertech have been with us at least two years and many over five years. US: We do work corp to corp often and that is a win-win. Liability is very much a non-issue. The benefits, especially for remote workers is the ability to write off business expenses. International: We are quite clear about needing six hours of overlap with the client time zone. This does mean that there are some developers who are in western europe that start at 2pm and work until 10pm. And unlike many 'agencies' we do not require clocking-in or out. Nor do we require filling in time sheets. So many developers find it much easier to take an hour or two to pickup kids, attend a performance or just take a good walk when the sun is just right.

2. "Great teams, great people, good work"

4.0
    Former Contractor - Senior JavaScript Engineer

I worked at Clevertech for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is a pleasure to work with. They really focus on team building for a fully remote company.

Cons

Every employee is a B2B contractor, so there's no benefits.

"Remote Dream Work, basically"

5.0
    Current Employee - PHP Developer in Saint Petersburg

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Never ever saw any ridiculous control over work time like in TopTal. Amount of trust Clevertech gives us is surprising. There's only two restrictions: you have to be available for calls in your work time, and you have to deliver results before deadline. How you structure your actual work is up to you. 100% remote work: zero commute time, work from wherever you want, whenever you want. Paycheck at least comparable to first world countries but no matter where you actually live. And in USD, not in local currency! Payments are exactly at the payday, saw only one delayed payment in almost 7 years of being here. Package with swag every Christmas. Corporate training sessions on actual tech and management topics. Recent addition is annual separate budget for "personal improvement" whatever you want it to be. Like a paycheck increase but only for specific expenses.

Cons

Contract is corp-to-corp, so you need to handle your taxes and pension yourself. No benefits usual for non-remote companies, like medical insurance (for USA), gym, cafeteria or corporate parties. It's not like there's absolutely zero benefits, though. 100% remote work: you have to find your own workstation and workplace to do your job. Also you must be online in your work hours, and you have to have your own higher-tier Internet connection overall. You have very little chance to actually meet and talk with your colleagues in person.

"Flexible, fun organization with a few growing pains"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Clevertech full-time

Pros

Friendly and Intelligent Co-workers Remote Lifestyle allows flexibility Interesting Projects Regular Virtual Tech Presentations

Cons

Lack of visibility or input on assignments (new tools are in place to help though) Communication can be a bit lacking sometimes Little room for advancement No benefits beyond flexible days off

Clevertech Response

August 11, 2016Talent Management

Thank you for the feedback! We certainly do have great developers and interesting projects here. In fact, we feel the people are the best part! And thank you for your advice. You mentioned the new tools we have put in place to help provide visibility and a path for communication regarding future project assignments… we are very excited about these tools and are improving them daily. As you use them, we’d love to hear your feedback on how we can continue to improve. We have also recently implemented new ways our developers can be rewarded and acknowledged. If you have more suggestions on how we can show appreciation to our team, please send them to hr@clevertech.biz or use our internal suggestion box. We’d love to hear them!

"It's a placement shop at the end of the day."

I worked at Clevertech

Pros

You can work from 'anywhere' so long as you're prepared to be available any time.

Cons

Very little information about projects you're placed on. Could be 2 weeks or years, you don't know until it starts, and then you're left. No choice in the placement. Management assumes you're a 22 year-old nomad with no responsibilities. No culture to speak of. Felt very isolated for months at a time. Tried to cut pay after a few months. No benefits and 'Unlimited Vacation' is crap, don't fall for it. You're overloaded with work and can't take time off because of the unknown deadlines when the placement was started. Don't bother to plan a vacation either as you don't know if you'll be on a project, and the project comes first.

Continue reading

"overworked outsourced devshop, do not recommend at all"

I worked at Clevertech full-time

Pros

- work from home - salary paid on time - no water cooler talk - work on python or whatever you prefer technologies

Cons

- broken english, team from around world - everyone contractor, but called an "employee" - terrible team that manages server setup - no benefits, no work/life balance - extremely demanding projects - you have to wear too many shoes at once - no bonuses, no incentives besides salary

"«Outsource McDonalds»"

Web Developer

I worked at Clevertech for more than 5 years

Pros

Well, you got your [arguably one of the lowest on the market] pay on time.

Cons

Random management; Web developers have to communicate with client.. and then not.. and then again have to. No benefits, "PTO" that is mentioned here is tricky: you're being loaded with work and tension so much you basically burn out before you get to take a vacation. Advice to all current employees: don't put too much work in hoping you will get bonuses (you won't), take your PTO as often as you can (it does not add up), and look for a better gig while you're at it. I worked with these guys for way too many years, and as I got burned out I was thrown away in an instant. Basically, a great place to get burned out.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews