Clevertech Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Clevertech Reviews

Updated 3 Nov 2019

4.0
Clevertech CEO Kuty Shalev (no image)
Kuty Shalev
Pros
Cons
  • "this is not a con of CT itself, but of the remote work style(in 16 reviews)

• "No benefits usual for non-remote companies, like medical insurance (for USA), gym, cafeteria or corporate parties(in 5 reviews)

1. "Fine remote workplace"

I have been working at Clevertech full-time

Pros

- Lots of freedom - Company culture is very relaxed

Cons

- Not for non-proactive people that need any sort of hand holding

Clevertech2019-11-03
  2. "Years in, still loving it"

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Holyoke, MA

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Fully remote-first -- the company is built from the ground up to support remote workers * Lots of special events to reward developers * Lots of training events, especially leadership and skill-sharing * Flexible schedules (varies by project) * Value-driven as opposed to politics driven -- if you're delivering value for the client, you're doing a good job. * Awesome projects -- not simply a WordPress or Drupal... mill. Clevertech builds and maintains enterprise-grade web applications from the ground up with expert full-stack developers. * Easy communication channels with management

Cons

* Less structure than an in-office sort-of-deal * Less hand-holding. You're expected to know your stuff and to ask lots of questions

Advice to Management

* Continue supporting devs as you've been doing -- the emotional support and leadership guidance helps your projects succeed

Clevertech2019-10-22
  3. "Freelance agency style"

Current Employee - Senior Full Stack Developer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than a year

Pros

- remote work - quality projects with interesting tech - great for people accustomed to freelancing: no need to seek out clients - competent and experienced folks on staff if you can find them on slack

Cons

- teams work in silos - basically working as temps, little connection to overall organization - need to set up a business for the business to business relationship - you won't feel like an employee; more like you're working for an agency

Advice to Management

- check in with staff individually, let them know they're valued - coordinate performance evaluations; provide feedback

Clevertech2019-10-30
  4. "Best company I've ever worked in"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Voronezh, Voronezhskaya Oblast'

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fully remote, a great balance of traveling/ working/ spending time with family/ seeing how your children grow ; Up-to-date tech stack; Great opportunities for personal growth; Good compensation; Open-minded management; Paid vacation; Direct communications with clients, good senior devs around, no over-management;

Cons

There are no cons if you love, and you are ready for remote work.

Advice to Management

Continue all your great efforts to make devs life more comfortable, attractive and well paid 🙂

Clevertech2019-08-07
  5. "If you are ready to create value through your actions, then that's the right place to be."

Current Employee - Tech Lead

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Of course, being physically detached from your workspace and the unmatched freedom of working remotely is an amazing opportunity to look for. But actually, the most satisfying aspect of being part of the team is the trust we build together through our actions. Being in a place where evaluation is based on value-added and not timesheets or some vague assumptions, is exceptional. - Work-remotely, i.e. from... anywhere you like - Evaluation based on contribution and value, not timesheets - Self-development and growth are encouraged and supported - Feeling safe to openly communicate with management - Warm community of curious professionals

Cons

Working remotely has its own challenges, especially on the soft-skills layer of communication and trust. If you want to move the needle, it's not enough to bring tech expertise. You should be curious and willing to improve your non-tech-skills too if you want to exceed the expectations and succeed in any remote-based environment.

Advice to Management

It's going good! Keep up the ongoing investments in PeopleOps, personal-development, and transparency.

Clevertech2019-08-07

"Do your research before accepting an offer at Clevertech"

Former Employee - Full Time Employee

I worked at Clevertech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being remote Most employees are great to work with

Cons

Flexible working is not really the case at Clevertech. When their website says "where you want" that part is true, but "whenever you want" is almost laughable. I would not say this is a con for everyone, some individuals enjoy working long hours and are okay with having to respond back to upper management immediately even if outside your working hours (or else you will receive "???" from them within a few minutes of... not responding back). For someone with a family it was refreshing to be promised this "flexible working" when I first started, but it was evident within the first few days that "flexible working" is a hook to get you in the door. Pay is a con and I would suggest looking at salary guides online to see what you should be earning (do not be fooled by the sales pitch of corp to corp being a reason for you to take a lower salary). If corp to corp was as great as Clevertech states, you would think they would want to walk you through all the details, instead they try to move quickly at the offer stage so you don't have much time to review it (a good reminder to not always believe what you are told and to do your own research). One tech lead I worked with was hired as a salary employee and not corp to corp (because he was based in the US), but even he said that the pay was much lower than anywhere he worked but was forced to take a remote job due to personal reasons (he ended up finding another job where they pay him way more and treat him way better so he quickly left Clevertech ). I stayed at Clevertech because I was told by upper management that I was getting paid what I deserved, the moment I started looking for other roles (and receiving offers) I realized I was highly underpaid and under appreciated. Continuing my last point of being under appreciated, this might be the biggest issue at Clevertech. If you are okay with being spoken to in a demeaning manner and often thrown under the bus by upper management, this is the company for you. The way the company runs is evidence that money in the founders pockets is more important than treating their developers with respect. Turnover is another issue that causes big problems. Not once, not twice, but three times on the same project I had colleagues that were fired or quit and the work falls on the rest of the devs and nothing is ever said about it. If you are interviewing with this company I would ask them what their turnover rate is and why it is so high. I was not going to write a review on GD until I remembered after my first month one of the founders asked me and other devs to put a review on Glassdoor. He did not specifically say you must write a positive review, but he did give suggestions as to what we should say (assuming this is an internal plan to help offset the negative reviews on GD) and the plus is you get "swag". I decided not to write that review because even a month in I could see what the company was like and I would rather be an honest person than to receive another t shirt. I am not writing this review to tell people to run and never look back at Clevertech, but to at least give warning of how the company truly works and how the founders do not really care about the employees. Make sure you know what you should be getting paid and do not allow company founders to make you feel less than. Be sure to check out the interview reviews on GD as well for Clevertech, almost all have something negative about upper management and from my perspective it is spot on.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans. The negative reviews specific to the founders have been consistent and that speaks volumes. So instead of a template response back from management on GD, I would like it if they took that time to reflect on how they treat people. Maybe, just maybe, they will change for the better.

Clevertech2019-08-05

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Junior Product Analyst in Remote, OR

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, great atmosphere for remote employees, positivity, skilled coworkers, nice perks, rapidly growing

Cons

So far the pros outweigh any cons by a landslide. No need to even mention any!

Advice to Management

Great job engaging with employees and making the company feel inviting, even though we are all remote!

Clevertech2019-05-28

"Excellent Product Analyst Experience"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fully remote, autonomy, trust, great perks, culture

Cons

Remote can be challenging for some

Clevertech2019-05-23

"Not enough workers/staffs, wearing too many hats!"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vacation Flexible Family Leave As all positions here at Clevertech, it's all remote!

Cons

Too much work, there are times I feel like swamp. It's under staff. Either HR or someone doesn't know how to do their job! It's not about how well the person understand coding in any language. It's more like finding the right people who fits in this company, requirement or nowadays 'culture'. Even the current staff, I feel they just hand off their projects to other people.

Advice to Management

Not enough leadership to demonstrate or show by example how to be a successful leader and it all goes back to the senior management. You don't throw people into a lion den where they are on not ready. There's no way anyone would survive. The only way to survive, is to watch out for each other not yourself!

Clevertech2019-06-09

"Great place to work for!"

Current Employee - People Operations Coordinator

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Remote - need to say more? Flexibility - doesn't get any better than being remote. Culture - tons of resources to stay engaged with people working from all over the world. Agency to ask questions and put ideas on the table.

Cons

No cons as of yet.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Clevertech2019-02-22