Classy Reviews

Updated 27 May 2020

4.1
Classy Co-Founder and CEO Scot Chisholm
Scot Chisholm

"Great product, great mission, great culture, tough market"

4.0

I worked at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office environment is a big perk to the job, and one of their biggest hiring strengths. In a sales gig, especially in Saas, it can be tough feeling like you are having much of an 'impact' on the world, but obviously if numbers are great that may not be a big worry. At Classy you get to speak with nonprofit professionals every day and get to help them make a difference in their organizations (which may or may not be a positive given your disposition). - dog friendly workplace - overlooks the ballpark and all of down town - catered lunches, beer/coffee on tap, etc etc - the founders are great and very approachable

Cons

- it's tough selling software to nonprofits in general, but in a congested market it is even tougher. - generally skilled, helpful sales managers, but it is a performance driven team. learn and do well quickly, or else it will become uncomfortable (this isn't particularly unique to this company, generally the case in any B2b sales job) - comp plan changed almost every other month. not fair, or motivating in that you never really knew the impact of hitting your numbers.

Classy2019-03-23

Classy Response

May 21, 2019President & Chief Revenue Officer

We are so glad that you had helpful sales managers. We are a performance driven organization, and our sales culture is metrics driven. In past years, the comp plans have changed too frequently. We know that consistency is something is so important to our staff; we have listened to all the feedback coming into 2019 and rectified the situation. We are now basing our sales quotas off of realistic goals. We love our partnership with Salesforce!

"SDR"

I worked at Classy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The office space is awesome Dog friendly office is a huge perk They hire great people Unlimited cold brew is cool Great product and cool problem to solve Some great managers If I was not in sales I’m sure it would be a fun experience.

Cons

With in my first 3 weeks they laid off half my hiring class after I moved across the country to be apart of “ San Diego’s top tech company.” Just heard they laid off the rest of my hiring class in March 5th. Quotas are not realistic, very few people hit their OTE. Not because they are not capable sales professionals, but because there is simply not enough hours in the day to be pounding the phones to hit them. It is possible but an absolute grind. Direction of the company is questionable. Working only with nonprofits is not fun if you are used to doing sales in the for profit space. I have been successfully in sales for multiple years and this was by far my worst experience. After going to a new tech company do I really realize how terrible of an experience it really was.

Classy2019-03-08

Classy Response

June 4, 2019Sales Operations Manager

Thank you for the note. We admittedly were faced with some difficult decisions earlier this year, but we have rebounded by adhering to a much more disciplined goal setting process. We have found the right quota mix (attainable yet sustainable). Working with non-profit organizations is a complex, yet rewarding experience, and we agree that being passionate about the space makes the job much easier. We are happy to hear that you are thriving in your new role and wish you continued success.

"Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful place to work. A company that collects data, seriously considers and acts on behalf of employee satisfaction feedback. Great managerial support and check-in process. A place where you can be the owner and driver of your professional growth and career goals. So many employees really do care about the mission and work together respectfully and cohesively despite differences. Tons of perks too, which is a plus in addition to the value of the work being done. Classy expects the best and provides the best!

Cons

Truly great place to work

Classy2019-02-25

"No loyalty, beware of your own risk"

I worked at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a recent college grad, this might be a decent place to get some exposure to the sales world and get a basic understanding before you move on to a real role.

Cons

There is so much change, I wouldn't be surprised if your quota changes by the next month. I've had to sign off on 3-4 compensation plans from what I was originally told when I first took the role, after they told me I had the potential to make 6 figures in that role (more like 65k max). Since I've been there there have been two instances when a group (15+) of individuals were let go simply due to the "structural change" of the company. These are people that took this job, moved from a different city, moved to a new apartment to merely be let go after 3 months because the company had bitten more than they could chew. My personal experience during training was an absolute disaster, everything we learned our first week we were told to scrap the following week. This has been the norm ever since, never able to sticking to one thing and always pushing that we're a "startup" company motto even though the company has been around for 10+ years. Your quota is based off two things 1. How many passes you send over to an Account Executive and 2. how much revenue an AE can close for you to determine you hitting your quota. This is absolutely absurd that your quota lands on someone else's hand controlling your fate, this is sales...for being in sales my entire adult career, I've never seen something like this losing all incentive with such a low commission payout. This place is a disaster, with really no future to motivate their employees.

Classy2019-03-06

"Run, run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers Young and energetic environment Office in a cool location Good parking

Cons

The micromanagement that occurs here is on another level. Real life examples: -Haven't made a call in 5 min? Get ready for a ping from your manager, "Why haven't you made a dial in 5 min?" -Running 1-3 min late for the first time ever? Get ready for a text from your manager, "We start at 7 am not 7:02." -Want to take an actual lunch break after a "lunch meeting?" "We paid for your lunch food so I expect you to come straight back to making dials afterwards." -Want to maybe customize an email to a customer and express ONE OUNCE OF CREATIVITY? "What are you doing we have these templates preloaded so you can fire off emails without having to change anything." -Think you know your quota for the month? Get ready for it to change again mid month, or you know, even after a couple hours no biggie. -Think that working a regular 8 hour week is in the cards for you? Hell no, you have to go home and keep prospecting so you can have people to call tomorrow, God forbid you do anything during work hours that doesn't involve making calls. -Think that if you just grind it out for a couple of months and do well it'll get better and you'll get promoted? Ha. Ha ha ha. -Worst of all, do you think you will get paid well for all of the pain and suffering you've endured? Ha. Ha ha haaaa. I could go on and on. The culture here was toxic and demoralizing. People quitting / getting fired left and right. I had previous sales experience before coming into this role and let me tell you, this is not how it should be. You cannot treat your employers like disposable dialing machines. Sorry not sorry this is so savage, I have PTSD from this place it was so ridiculous.

Classy2019-02-14

"Love this company"

5.0

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

Classy is a really special place to work. The mission permeates in a real way through the culture, they support true balance for employees, and there is so much growth and opportunity for people who want to drive a lot of change.

Cons

It's not a good place if you need a lot of predictability - it's a high growth company, which demands a lot of flexibility and adaptability to thrive. If you like that environment, it's great.

Classy2019-02-13

"Best Company in San Diego"

I have been working at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

While I realize this may depend on your team, I sincerely love my job, the people, and the opportunities at Classy. You’ll work with some of the smartest people here and with people who genuinely wants the company to do well. People are invested in the company mission to do good in the world and aren’t just zombies at work, which is refreshing! Tons of opportunity in this industry. You’ll get exposed to so many things and new challenges working here as the company continues to climb, you’ll learn a ton, and work with deeply passionate, interesting, and realest people. Other perks - unlimited PTO, flexibility, nice office environment, and the company is working on being more diverse

Cons

You have to be type of person that is okay with growing pains and constant changes (literally, by the hour). It also seems decisions are made top down always when sometimes you need employees helping make decisions, too.

Classy2019-02-10

"Change is the Only Constant"

I have been working at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission, and some really smart, dedicated people working towards fulfilling that mission. If you excel at office politics, you will probably thrive at Classy.

Cons

The direction the company is headed is hard to nail down, as it is constantly changing. Smart, dedicated people are leaving the company.

Classy2019-02-18

"Don’t be fooled by the views!"

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great product and Great training techniques

Cons

Please don’t be fooled by the tour around the office, the views and open office setup will convince you this is a great place to work when it’s the complete opposite. A tech company that has been around 10+ years will market themselves as a start up and “were always changing” as a way to convince you that the changes they make weekly is normal in the tech world...it is not. Theres a big reason the turnover in the company in 2018 has been by far the largest they’ve seen in their 10+years. The culture has been sucked out of the building and they care more about ways that they can come up with to not pay salespeople by raising quota,new aggressive metrics, and switching salespeople to hourly.Forcing employees to ask for approved overtime...even though it’s needed to hit the new quotas and metrics put in place. At the end of the day you should stay away Classy has tarnished it’s great representation and you shouldn’t waste your career with this company.

Classy2019-02-06

"Gross Mismanagement & Toxic Culture... With a View!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will make some friends at Classy as it used to attract great people. The office is nice (while they are still in it). Dogs around the office, cold brew.

Cons

OVERVIEW: Where to start... Classy and its management does not care about its employees at all. It went from being a great environment to one of the most toxic companies under its new leadership. Morale is always low, there is no such thing as job security, and they have conducted 2 mass firings in the past 8 months simply because they have no idea what they are doing, and the answer is always just to fire more people to free up capital. CEO: The CEO is honestly a good guy, but he has no business running a large company. He is over it. He's tired, has lost interest, and is being pushed around by the new CRO simply because he wants an out. You can tell when you see him that he doesn't care anymore, and rather than push forward or step down, he is misleading all the employees forward. PRODUCT: Selling the Classy product is not easy. You are selling into the nonprofit space, which is a "good mission", but nonprofits already have no $$ and you are trying to sell them incredibly expensive software. The only thing Classy has is that its the most aesthetically pleasing, otherwise it lacks features that competitors have, it hasn't been innovated in years, and is priced at the high end of the market. No point in wasting a sales career here. SALES: Quotas are constantly changing and are more and more unattainable. They take months to get a comp plan to you. Hitting/exceeding quotas doesn't even give you job security. MANAGEMENT: The management here is all centered around shady micromanagement with not one ounce of transparency. There are a large group of managers who have no business being a sales manager. All led by the condescending CRO who has no idea what he is doing in this space. He pushed out some great talent and people from the company. The management took this company from being a top workplace to have an 80% turnover rate and incredibly unhappy employees in less than a year. OVERALL: If you come to interview at Classy, it is very easy to get blinded by the great office, amazing view, and what they present as the morale. Don't let them fool you. This is a churn and burn company that will screw you over any chance they get.

Classy2019-03-06