Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Reviews

Updated 30 Jun 2020

3.7
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia CEO Madeline Bell (no image)
Madeline Bell
Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance is a great talking point but is nonexistent(in 18 reviews)

• "I have no cons about the hospital(in 12 reviews)

1. "Loved it"

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A Great place to work

Cons

Parking was not easy and was expensive

2. "Great hospital! Great people!"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Phila, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great place to grow and work with a team who respects individual's contribution.

Cons

Location. Not close to transit.

3. "PT"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist II

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility to work between locations

Cons

Clinical ladder--outdated, low pay, increasing cost of benefits with decreasing coverage

4. "Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - CLINICAL RESEARCH FINANCIAL ANALYST in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

easy to move around within the company. job advancement benefits.

Cons

Becoming more political. Loss of intimacy within the corporation.

5. "Wonderful Company with Decent Benefits"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CHOP is an incredible, inspiring machine. You will work with the best of the best and be impressed every day by the miracles that take place there.

Cons

They pay way less than other positions in the area and tend not to promote internal growth. They consider working there a privilege.

"RN review"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great experience for new nurses

Cons

Poor unit management on my unit

7. "Excellent Place to Work"

4.0

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Great opportunities for learning by working with world's best physicians * CHOP provides wide rage of learning seminars for personal development * Positive and encouraging team environment

Cons

* Salary is low * Career advancement seems slow

8. "Overall OK place to work"

Current Employee - Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cutting edge of research, great patient care

Cons

Lower pay, high work demand

"Great Mission - Pathetic Company Culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Executive Secretary II in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you are surrounded by smart and driven people (non management level), beautiful campus, mission driven organization

Cons

Benefits are not competitive, management is awful and makes terrible decisions that do not benefit employees, you are often made to feel like its a privilege to be working there and that the company doesn't value your contributions. CEO is a stepford wife who cares about appearances versus and is not genuine.

Continue reading
  10. "Good place for junior level PhD scientists to come if they want to end their careers in academic research"

1.0
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Decent benefits for postdoctoral fellows. Good speakers and good seminars. Can also attend talks at UPenn.

Cons

My experience at CHOP has been horrible. I had multiple competing offers at the time I interviewed and was recruited here with promises of promotions and opportunities to write grants; none of this materialized. From the door at orientation, scientific researchers aren't treated as though they're a part of CHOP. I've worked at many research hospitals before and never felt like this. If the PI you work for becomes abusive, there is no recourse (and this happens often-- many postdocs at CHOP, like most R1 institutes, seem to be H1B visa holders who are dependent on their PIs' good graces to stay in the country. PIs thus have total control; this can lead to an abusive climate towards all postdocs if left unchecked, and PI power is totally unchecked at CHOP). HR is utterly nonresponsive to scientific staff and CHOP neither offers nor encourages any mentoring, career guidance, or professional training opportunities outside of your PI. PIs don't seem to be given any basic management training either, and are allowed to lay off postdocs at will so there is always the threat of that regardless of your prior performance. As a woman, CHOP was also a terrible environment-- for instance, my PI constantly asked me about when/if I had plans to get pregnant and about other private matters. HR does nothing. I was promised a good work/life balance when I interviewed but after a few months, a consistent theme of my meetings with my PI was his frustration and disappointment that I was not working 80+ hours a week (without being paid any overtime, of course). I am a parent, so this is not possible. Furthermore, professionally, working those hours would have done nothing for my own career since I was treated like a tech to work on my PI's random ideas and grants-- rather than anything that would have furthered my own career. My PI also had major issues with my using my sick days when my young child became ill-- not something you might expect from a children's hospital? But presenteeism is part of the culture; quality of work and overall productivity is not taken into the equation. I wish I could go back in time; it was career suicide to come here, and I can't think of any postdoc at CHOP for whom it wouldn't be, given the absolute power PIs are given at CHOP, combined with the lack of mentoring and human resources.

Continue reading