Child Crisis Arizona Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Child Crisis Arizona Reviews

Updated 1 Aug 2019

2.9
Child Crisis Arizona CEO Torrie Taj  (no image)
Torrie Taj
  1. "I enjoy coming to work!"

I have been working at Child Crisis Arizona full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are several Pros that come to mind about working at CCA; first, the mission of the organization speaks to my heart and makes every day at work worthwhile. Also, the people I work with are amazing! It's true that there will always be a bad apple (or 2) at any workplace. But those folks are definitely the exception to the other staff that work here. Finally, the benefits are great. We get a generous amount of PTO, Holidays', 401(k) matches; HSA matches; and the flexibility cannot be beat.

Cons

The only Con that comes to mind is the relational separation between management and support staff. There is a bit of a disconnect there. However, I've never felt that I cannot reach out to management.

Advice to Management

It would be great to see Management bridge that gap between upper management and staff. The hierarchy is quite stark.

Child Crisis Arizona2019-08-01

"20 year nonprofit veteran...THIS is the BEST job I have ever had..."

I have been working at Child Crisis Arizona full-time

Pros

In January I will have worked for nonprofit organizations for 20 years. In that time I have had some great leaders, I have had some great opportunities and I have had some mentors who have cared enough to help me develop my skills to become successful. However, I have never had all of these things at one time, until now. Since I started at Child Crisis Arizona my supervisors and those above me have done nothing, but welcome me with open doors, words of encouragement and guidance to grow in my role and for my future. We are an organization of about 200 individuals who do incredible work. We have the OPPORTUNITY to keep children safe, we have the OPPORTUNITY to strengthen families and we have the OPPORTUNITY to see our great work pay off through finalized adoptions, graduating preschoolers and parents that complete our classes and workshops, leading to their families being able to stay together and thrive! We, as employees, have seen cost of living/merit increases in salary, increased company matches in 401k and additional gifts and retirement contributions simply because our leadership team wants to put its employees first. These are just some of the great “perks” of working here, I am grateful that Child Crisis Arizona continues to strive to be an Employer of Choice and put us first.

Cons

Honestly, the only negative is the negative usage of social media to attack an organization that is trying to do nothing more than good for those that need it most. Over the past several years I have seen relentless, misguided, inappropriate attacks on this wonderful organization. Unfortunately, these attacks have more often than not been UNFAIRLY focused on our CEO, Torrie Taj. While I do not agree with sharing grievances on a site like this, I have had enough and feel the need to offer an alternative view point. Over the past few days CURRENT employees of our organization and MY co-workers have decided to attack our leadership team, mainly Torrie, because our insurance premium rates increased considerably. I will be the first to say that I am affected by this, I cover my wife through these benefits we get and our rates are doubling. While this does stink and makes us have to rearrange some things in our personal budget, not once did I think to blame our leadership team or Torrie because I know this team of dedicated individuals has our (the employees') best interest as a top priority. Not to mention I understand that in negotiating rates for benefits the best interest of the organization has to be a top priority as well. I have read some of the “reviews” of the organization and seen the “Torrie bashing,” and I am truly blown away that anyone would attack someone like that. I am completely shocked that people think this one person is out to “ruin the lives of the employees” at CCA. Child Crisis Arizona is bigger than this and my teammates/co-workers/colleagues are better than this! We have to know while this situation stinks, one person did not put us here, it is the parameters that we currently find ourselves in, in the insurance marketplace. My wife had to find alternative coverage in the marketplace while she was in between jobs and before we were married and we had to pay about $1,000/month, plus had a ridiculously high deductible for the BARE MINIMUM of coverage. The benefits we are offered at Child Crisis Arizona are some of the best coverage you can ask for. Not to mention, the fact that the organization covers as much of the premium that is does is unheard of in some of our sister organizations in the nonprofit world. For those that know Torrie, they know she is a thoughtful and compassionate person. She truly does care about all of us and about the incredible programs and resources we offer our children and families. It is time that we put this negativity behind us, stop attacking ourselves and work together for the children and families that need us most. I cannot speak for anyone’s situation personally, I do recommend that each person take their concerns to their supervisor or HR rep rather than air their issues or concerns in such a way that does nothing but embarrass an organization trying to help those in need. Unfortunately, the words of few are speaking loudest and I, for one, am sick of the negative, inappropriate bashing.

Advice to Management

Please continue to show value for your employees, please continue to strive to be an employer of choice. Please continue to challenge us and develop us to be better for the children and families that need us most!

Child Crisis Arizona2018-11-15

"Benefits"

I have been working at Child Crisis Arizona full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very affordable individual rates and rates to cover children. All benefits have grown over past year. Just 4 years ago children and spouses were NOT covered. Grateful that we have that option now. Also like the HSA option. I was scared at first but has worked out for me financially. The additional matxh by CCA helps.

Cons

Difficult to hear my colleagues upset about the spousal coverage. I have encouraged them to bring their concerns to HR...but not sure any have? I would immediatley look for options outside of CCA. I would either find cheaper options and go with them...or find that the costs are typical for the market and realize the difficult situation that CCA is in. Unfortunatley health care costs are ridiculous in this country :(

Advice to Management

Raising premiums are always difficult to swallow for any employees. Perhaps a diverse task force to assist in the process? Either way I am grateful for the improvement in coverage and the growth of benefits over the past 5 years.

Child Crisis Arizona2018-11-14

"Happy to come to work everyday!"

I have been working at Child Crisis Arizona full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The agency is always looking for growth opportunities and for ways to best serve children and families in our community. Everyone supportive of one another and are always willing to lend a helping hand. I love the work I do each day!! I know what I am doing makes a direct impact on the families and children we serve! A benefit of being in my role is meeting and getting to know all staff in the Agency and how they will impact lives in our community.

Cons

The job can be hard, but I leave everyday knowing I have made a difference in someone's life.

Advice to Management

Keep making your employees the priority as we work towards being the employer of choice!

Child Crisis Arizona2018-11-07

"Top nonprofit to work for!"

Current Employee - Director of Major & Legacy Gifts in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Child Crisis Arizona full-time for less than a year

Pros

Child Crisis Arizona has an incredible mission to meet the greatest needs of children and families in our community. The organization is led by a team of dynamic, talented, humble leaders who provide resources and support to their staff. The company culture demonstrates true team work at the core, setting staff up for success by providing tools and investing in professional development opportunities, full participation is offered to engage all levels of staff in quarterly Birthday potlucks and more. Everyone is positive, friendly, willing to pitch in and results driven to make an impact on the lives of children and families, every child matters at Child Crisis Arizona.

Cons

My drive to work, the traffic.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring quality staff!

Child Crisis Arizona2018-04-19

"anonymous"

I worked at Child Crisis Arizona for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic mission but I believe management has lost sight of what really is important--providing consistent support to staff, children and families.

Cons

The CEO is making a ridiculous amount of much money and not fulfilling all the responsibilities she should to support the organization's mission. She is more concerned about traveling and attending social functions then spending time supporting the staff, that work directly with the children, and following up with families.

Advice to Management

Maybe if the CEO's salary was cut in half you could bring on 2 to 3 more people who are truly passionate about interacting with the children and families within the organization.

Child Crisis Arizona2018-02-14

"Horrible executive team"

Former Employee - Shelter Staff in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Child Crisis Arizona full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Prior to the new CEO coming on, this was an amazing organization.

Cons

High executive team pay while they continue to cut long time staff to part time, cancelling benefits with a couple of days notice. They closed one shelter and staff the bare minimum direct care staff. New CEO is out of touch and over paid and created a bunch of executive level jobs for her friends.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO, Torrie Taj, and find a leadership who believes that non-profit is more than "just a tax status"

Child Crisis Arizona2017-12-10

"Sinking ship, Exxon Valdez"

I worked at Child Crisis Arizona full-time

Pros

Attempting to do good for kids in need.

Cons

Upper management as a whole! The captain is headed for an iceberg, but she knows best. Directors going to Hawaii for "seminars" or "free vacations" on donors dime! They should give themselves another raise.

Advice to Management

Remember it's a charity.

Child Crisis Arizona2017-08-04

"An extra star for amazing coworkers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Child Crisis Arizona full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were fantastic, lots of support from my coworkers, supervisors and director. Very flexible, great PTO, 401k match.

Cons

After the merge and change in upper management the quality of services went downhill. CCA is now about making money and less about serving the community in the best ways possible. It's sad to see. I truly miss working for Child Crisis Center when it was that. No one has job security.

Advice to Management

Listen to the programs, stop getting rid of so many people just to make money.

Child Crisis Arizona2017-05-25

"Unfortunately negative reviews are honest and truthful"

I worked at Child Crisis Arizona full-time

Pros

This was a solid agency with fantastic reputation for serving the most vulnerable children in the Valley.

Cons

Under the new leadership there is little respect for the agency's history, no knowledge of child welfare and a focus on securing relatively guaranteed funding, like Headstart, vs doing what is right - supporting children and families.

Child Crisis Arizona2017-04-30