Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 8 Apr 2020

3.9
Cengage CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen
Pros
  • "Work Life Balance and flexibility is key(in 165 reviews)

• "And despite working in an industry that's shrinking overall, the company is attracting great people and making really ambitious moves(in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • "Cengage Unlimited isn't holding up to the pedestal it was put on by upper management(in 74 reviews)

• "To many reorgs when company numbers aren't met(in 37 reviews)

1. "Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cengage has the best culture! They truly care about their employees and customers. They also promote within the company, which is great.

Cons

They will try to pay you the least amount possible.

Cengage2020-04-06
  2. "Student Ambassador Review"

Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Cengage part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and helpful sales team. Flexible hours you can manage during school. Very good work resources like All Access and Workday. Lots of perks like business cards and other swag.

Cons

Very busy at beginning of the semester but slows down during the middle.

Cengage2020-03-23

"Remarkable culture and team"

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Investment in culture is obvious and very effective. I'm particularly impressed with how transparent senior leaders are about the challenges and opportunities the company faces. And despite working in an industry that's shrinking overall, the company is attracting great people and making really ambitious moves.

Cons

The technical complexity, given that the company has grown through a lot of acquisitions and shifted into a digital business model decades into its existence, is a consistent challenge.

Cengage2020-03-16
  4. "Overall it was a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, England

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Working within an amazing team of people! - Able to work from Home (with valid reasoning) - Monthly staff gatherings to report on how the company is doing - Good Facilities - Generally everyone is friendly and nice - Annual Bonus - Pension - Bupa - Gym

Cons

- Office Politics especially in the Higher Ed section - Some people were very difficult to work with (other people have had difficulties working with these certain people too, nothing was ever really done about these people, even though issues were raised with HR). -Not helpful feedback on projects to make them progress. I felt that whilst working on projects with certain people I found that they were supplying me with unhelpful feedback of "oh I just don't like it" and I would continuously ask "okay that's fine, but you need to tell me WHY so I can improve the work!!" (I would never get good enough feedback to improve the work so it was an endless cycle and prolonged the projects further) - Very set in old traditional ways of working - not great for flexible working depending on your manager or people higher up. - No Progression due to budgets being spent else where and as I was in a team that was not in a defined business unit the budgets always felt tight for our team - I Felt a bit swept under the rug and ignored which was upsetting.

Cengage2020-03-16

"Don't expect a promotion."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart and capable folks throughout the company. Leadership has ambitious and aggressive plans for the future of the company.

Cons

Promotions are rare. You literally have to apply for a completely different job to achieve professional growth here. If you put on a good show for every minor or major meeting, you may land a promotion that way - optics over hard work.

Cengage2020-03-22
  6. "'Great team to be a part of'"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Been with Cengage for 7 years, 25 years in the industry. I can honestly say the Culture, the influence of a solid Work/Life balance, and the direction of the organization are far superior than any other companies I have worked for.

Cons

What cons? There are none.

Cengage2020-03-06
  7. "Great People, Lots of Changes"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cengage full-time

Pros

Great people who work hard and uphold the Cengage values. Benefits and time off were also good.

Cons

Lost of changes and downsizing resulting in layoffs. Merger is pending.

Cengage2020-03-19
  8. "The worst experience ever"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some people are pleasure to work with

Cons

People are treated like dirt. You never know when your department will be gone and 100s people get laid off. Harassment and discrimination from management are normal daily thing. HR doesn't react or help with any issues. Management is fully protected by HR. No work/live balance. You are expected to work crazy hours, reply to emails at 11pm are expected as well. No career grows, no promotions, no pay increase. Contractors not considered as people, no option to convert to FTE

Cengage2020-04-08

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Director, End User Computing Solutions in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work Life Balance and flexibility is key. The environment in the office is fun and exciting. Our environment is like a start up environment. Office has kitchens with free coffee, tea, fruit, snacks, espresso machines and much more. The collaboration has been amazing which is always a concern for a new employee. The support and knowledge sharing from other employees has been invaluable.

Cons

The commute to/from Boston can be difficult - however, Cengage also helps with parking and commuter costs

Cengage2020-02-28

Cengage Response

March 11, 2020CEO

Thank you for sharing your experience with Cengage. I’m pleased to hear your first year is going well! I appreciate all of the positive comments in your review, and perhaps most importantly, that you have found our communications with employees to be transparent – this is a key tenet of our Ethos and of my approach to leadership. I truly believe that with transparency, we build trust, and with trust, we can perform at our best. Our HR onboarding team works hard to make sure new hires have all the support they need to succeed --- great to hear this is translating well. Keep up the great work!

10. "Great people"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with

Cons

unstable industry right at this time

Cengage2020-03-02