Cengage Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

3.9
Cengage CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen
Pros
Cons
  • "In some cases, they even created "new positions" for people who were personal friends with upper management(in 73 reviews)

• "To many reorgs when company numbers aren't met(in 37 reviews)

"Wonderful mission, struggling to be a software company"

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees at Cengage (from the top down) truly care about the customer - students and teachers. The culture is one of transparency, honesty, and purpose. The purpose/mission being - lower the cost of education.

Cons

The mission of the company is admirable, but they are struggling in their transition from a publisher of content to a software company. Be careful getting caught in the ups/downs of this transition.

Advice to Management

Pay your people market value. They believe in the mission. Don't take advantage of their kindness. As you transition to a software company, pick leaders who care about the employees, as much as the customer. Leaders focused on making a name for themselves will destroy the company from the inside out.

Cengage2019-11-07

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance. Kind people.

Cons

Slow to change, but improving.

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation

Cengage2019-10-27

"Short-lived experience"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Beautiful office - Positive culture - Get to work with hardworking, driven individuals

Cons

- Reorgs/layoffs - Uncertainty of keeping your job - Uncertainty of how the merger will impact your job

Advice to Management

Continue staying transparent through this hard time at Cengage. If you know there might not be a need for a position, don't hire somebody to just then lay them off. Keep employees in the loop.

Cengage2019-11-05

"Not a great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are decent, many people are lovely

Cons

10 days of PTO, unbelievably inefficient and ineffective management

Cengage2019-10-29
  5. "was a chios but I heard it's getting better"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Architect in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice and smart coworkers.

Cons

management team didn't know which direction to go. Perhaps a new management team has been in the position now. hope it's better than before

Cengage2019-11-06

"Do not accept a job offer at this place!!!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some great people who work here and that is the ONLY thing I miss about it.

Cons

Leadership and Management - From Michael Hansen, to Bleichmar, to the SVP's and on down to DM's. This company talks a good game about caring for its employees, and about building strong culture, etc., etc. but the only culture that is valued here is a culture where employees are 'yes men' and don't question the status quo and remain silent while leadership makes mind-boggling decisions. Cengage Unlimited has... turned out to be a huge mistake that was pushed for by leadership without a full understanding of the financial impact it would have on the company's bottom line. Or take for instance the move to Pier 4, a highly expensive piece of real estate, that in reality Cengage could not afford to make, given what we now know about their losses this mid-year, which has meant layoffs all around. The merger with McGrawHill will probably be their only saving grace because without it, Cengage would likely cease to exist in another five years, maybe less. If I were McGraw I'd abandon the merger and let Cengage's leadership sink the company, which is where it would have been headed. (Picture the Titanic slowly disappearing below the waters) So to summarize: at Cengage employees don't matter, culture doesn't matter and to a great extent even their products ultimately don't matter. Any profits earned here are used to pay off investors and the salaries of the Executives (of which there is an inordinate amount) who run the various business units, rather than creating great products. There is no innovation happening at this place! Salary - salaries are below industry average, (except for the DM's, SVP's and Exec's - they always seem to do well at Cengage). I got a raise that numbered in pennies during the last review (and that was with a good performance appraisal)! Some colleagues I know received no increases whatsoever. If you are a person who loves innovation, who wants great company culture and an environment that values what you bring to the table - Cengage is not the place for you! Look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, management here doesn't take advice - this is a company that is beholden to investors and that's who their decisions are centered around.

Cengage2019-11-16
  7. "Great people work here"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Cengage full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment filled with great people.

Cons

Uncertain future as the company is going through a merger.

Cengage2019-10-14

"Great First 3 Months"

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are genuinely happy working for Cengage. I feel trusted as a professional.

Cons

Uncertainty of how the merger will affect my day to day work.

Cengage2019-10-02
  9. "Changing industry"

Current Employee - Product Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cengage is working very hard to adapt to a changing industry.

Cons

Reorganized several times in the past few years. Employees asked to flex onto multiple teams, increasing their workload. Hard to advance from Product Assistant role.

Cengage2019-10-24

"This company really has it together!"

Current Employee - Content Manager

I have been working at Cengage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cengage has a strong focus on organization and employee morale. Leadership works hard to ensure that folks who work here are happy, heard, taken care of, recognized, encouraged, and given opportunities for growth. Cengage promotes collaboration, teamwork, exploration, and constant change and improvement. The people here are friendly and happy to help each other. The company is organized and highly focused on... developing processes, systems, standard tools, and avid documentation. There are plenty of chances to connect with and learn from colleagues outside your specific group. The office is also beautiful. Lastly, the onboarding process was far beyond what I have experienced at top competitors.

Cons

Training courses were fantastic and well-put together, but they were sometimes outdated or too high level and not specific enough to the nuances of my particular role. If coming from another industry (or another role within the same industry), the learning curve can be steep. It's very high-tech here and you have to be extremely proactive about asking good questions and learning quickly. You have to be able to... problem solve and deal with some level of ambiguity. The location of the new office can be a tough commute for certain people. Finally, it is a very spreadsheet heavy workplace, which people may or may not find appealing.

Advice to Management

Inevitably, a new employee will be thrown into a workflow that is already underway. That is to be expected. But some specific training from the ground up would be excellent. I highly recommend instituting a simulated training, where a new employee watches a project get off the ground from square one, and then follows the workflow process from conception through to fulfillment, experiencing various milestones of a... model project, and learning his/her specific role and responsibilities. An opportunity to shadow someone in their position as they begin a project and get it off the ground would be great.

Cengage2019-10-02