Care UK "rota" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Care UK Employee Reviews about "rota"

Updated Jun 13, 2018

3.5
Care UK CEO Mike Parish
Mike Parish
Pros
  • "Good pay rates especially for clinical staff once training is complete(in 11 reviews)

• "Service users are great and nice(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rota allocation changed last minute so you’re not able to fulfil other aspects of your senior role(in 9 reviews)

• "Very long hours for night staff(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "rota"

Return to all Reviews

"Some things never change..."

Former Employee - Nurse in Ware, England

I worked at Care UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's marginally better than trying to survive on JSA, but only in the way that having chronic diarrhoea is marginally better than having chronic constipation. Home Manager ISNT racist against white people. That's just some Daily Mail nonsense, no doubt from someone who is a bit of a bigot. This person has clearly mistook the managers inability to manage for something else. This person probably also says "I'm not... racist but...". A lot.

Cons

It's good to see some things never change. In the same way Nigel Farage is bound to blame immigration for stepping on a plug, this care home manager continues to have her favourites, refuses to staff the home properly, refuses to respect, and nurture her entire team, and is rude to anyone who doesn't fit into her rectum. I have nothing but the utmost sympathy for anyone who has the misfortune to work for her. She... is incapable of getting a rota out in a timely manner, incapable of looking at her previous rota to ensure her staff haven't just worked five long days in a row (despite only being contracted to do 40hrs, but hey, don't complain, she'll just discipline you for trying to stand up to her!), incapable of ensuring shifts are adequately staffed (because agency is expensive, and she's all about the budgets, who cares if it's "safe" or not!), and is honestly the worst manager I've ever had the misfortune to work for. Her clinical staff work hard to cover her backside, but she's got no thanks for them, and I genuinely pity to poor clinical lead here, she's doing her best, but it's like wading through treacle when managers are promoted above their capability, and their competence - it's called the Peter Princliple, and it's worth a read. I think it might actually have been written about her. She's got a degree in care management, don't you know? This degree isn't a nursing one, it's a pen pushing one, which is only about prophet margins, getting the maximum return for little financial investment, and selecting the perfect "fall guy" for when things go terribly wrong.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for this manager. It's futile. It falls on deaf ears. She doesn't care. She thinks she's the dogs reproductive organs, and nothing will change that. Unfortunately she's isn't the dogs reproductive organs, she does talk it a lot though. My advice to the CEO is to get a new manager, as soon as possible. Just read the reviews. There's something VERY wrong here. If you look at the glassdoor page for... this managers precious home, you'll see many more of the same reviews of her.

Care UK2018-06-14

"Not worth it!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England

I worked at Care UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Provides in house training Recognise development opportunities Free lunch on long shift Supernumerary shifts provided initially to settle in the home.

Cons

Rota allocation changed last minute so you’re not able to fulfil other aspects of your senior role. Bullying culture and lack of support by management. Do your research about the care home get a feel about the work dynamics there first.

Advice to Management

Listen to both sides of the story and don’t jump to conclusions and support all staff. Try not to create a blame culture as this would otherwise impact team morale.

Care UK2018-03-22
  3. "Care home"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Care UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is good training for continuous professional development and a thorough induction program.

Cons

Less support for night staff. Only one nurse and one health care assistant to a unit of 18 service users at night. If someone goes off sick there's a strong chance that you will work alone. No paid break, however you are expected to stay on your unit for the entire 12 hours. Shift work, no set working days, so very difficult to plan around family needs. Sometimes rota is not published until a couple... of days before the week commences, so you have no idea what you're doing up to a day beforehand every month.

Advice to Management

Listen to the opinions of your staff in regards to better working conditions and take actions to implement changes that will support your staff, especially at night when resources are limited.

Care UK2017-10-23

"Never Again."

Former Employee - Carer in Billingham, England

I worked at Care UK part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co workers are welcoming,easy to work alongside. The care staff do the best they can to care for residents with the short staffing levels they experience regularly.

Cons

If you want to work for nothing then this is the place to be...underpaid regularly or not paid at all for hours worked. Management are uncaring and lack the basic knowledge of rota management. Management are running a business full stop! No care towards residents or staffs work/home life balance. Short staffed regularly,working past clocking off time with no thanks. Staff turn over is high due to unhappy staff. Care... staff treat like the scum of the earth even though they are what keeps the place running.

Advice to Management

New management would benefit the home.

Care UK2016-03-31
  5. "Residential Care Home for Elderly People with Dementia - Domestic and Kitchen"

Former Employee - Domestic Catering in Cobham, Surrey, South East England, England

I worked at Care UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I found that the training provided with this company was excellent and there were plenty of opportunities to learn in ways that enhanced my role. There was plenty of room for personal and professional growth and I progressed quite quickly, despite starting in a very junior role. Hard-work and dedication is quite quickly rewarded. The company and senior management have a very customer-focused approach and your... merit as a worker is very much judged by the improvement and positivity you bring to people's lives, which is a lovely change from a financially-driven sales environment

Cons

Working with vulnerable people was emotionally challenging at times as you do get very attached. Working within the residential care environment can occasionally mean working Christmas etc. but this is usually divided fairly and equally on volunteer/rota basis. Although, neither of these would be a criticism of this particular company and this can be far out-balanced by the quality of care provided. Within a... residential care home environment I was required to be flexible with time, offering to work during scheduled time off to cover sickness and absence, or times of bad weather when other staff members couldn't reach the home. I would say that my flexibility was duly rewarded during a period of illness and then during my pregnancy, where they couldn't have done more to support me as an employer. All in all, very little negative to say about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Care UK2016-02-23
  6. "work place"

Current Employee - Care At Home Assistant in Musselburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Care UK part-time for more than a year

Pros

love working in the clients homes with them both of us feel more relaxed and enjoy a chat while working with them as I may be the only person they see all day

Cons

last minute changes to my rota. when sent to a strange area no maps to show me where to go to .

Advice to Management

better back up when office closes not all the on call staff can be contacted when needing advice

Care UK2015-07-19
  7. "111 Call centre operative"

Former Employee - Health Advisor - Call Centre in Dorking, England

I worked at Care UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

The colleagues are nice in the call centre in Dorking and the role can be fulfilling because you are helping people.

Cons

However staff are treated like children, having to request leave for a comfort break. The pay is very low and the weekend rota is not managed to give alternate weekends so you are always expected to work.

Advice to Management

Manage the rota properly, so that staff can have at least 2 weekends off in a month. Speak to subordinates respectfully, this will reduce the number of people who leave

Care UK2015-07-18

"SUPPORT WORKER"

I worked at Care UK

Pros

There are literally none. Coworkers??

Cons

Worst employers in the world. This company expects you to work from 6.30 am until 11pm 7 days a week, all over the city. 16 hours a day with minimum travel expenses (16p per mile for petrol?!??). Pay is just above minimum wage and management is run by buffoons. No respect for workers, rota changes constantly. Unpaid training. Double up work often done on own despite hoisting vulnerable people. This company is a... disgrace. Made between £150 to £200 per week despite working from morning to night often 11 or 12 days in a row. No respect for people's work life balance. Zero hour contract and managers are bullies. Try to intimidate young staff into covering shifts shifts and told you are a let down if you can't. One uniform for full time staff. The company should be shut down for neglecting staff and their service users who are equally unhappy with the service provided by "Care" UK

Advice to Management

Stop thinking of lining your own pockets and focus on treating your staff with the respect they deserve for the hard work they do.

Care UK2015-07-31

"Lovely staff, poor company / management."

Current Employee - OOH

I have been working at Care UK part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is reasonable. Front line staff and bottom level supervisors are mostly very good and a pleasure to work with. Enjoy the job itself. Lots of shifts available to take.

Cons

Very obvious divide between management and staff. Management do not care about staff. Lack of support for staff, you're very much on your own if something goes wrong. Blame culture. Understaffed and lack of resources consistently. Emphasis on meeting targets with an obvious disregard for patient care / experience. Harassment by rota team on a daily basis, several calls, voicemails and emails per day.... Micromanagement by supervisors, very frustrating.

Advice to Management

Support staff and stand behind them when something goes wrong. Establish a culture of caring about the patient, not about the targets only. STAFFING!!

Care UK2015-06-15