Capital Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 24 Jan 2020

3.6
Capital Group President Philip de Toledo
Philip de Toledo
Pros
  • "Great people; Great Culture; Great benefits(in 165 reviews)

• "Excellent benefits, work/life balance, room for growth -- all things companies preach but rarely display(in 130 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management may not have associate interests as a top priority(in 60 reviews)

• "It's a call center so adherence is a must(in 33 reviews)

1. "Good benefits and perks, but has a super coporate feel to it"

Current Employee - Computer Repair in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

good PTO, telecommute flexibility, developing culture

Cons

too process geared, can't do your job with out clearing things with 5 other people

Capital Group2020-01-25
  2. "Great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Investment Operations Manager in London, England

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Industry leading active investment manager; privately held company; lots of growth and job opportunities esp in Europe and Asia, high quality colleagues. Great benefits and pay esp after the first few years.

Cons

Not that nimble, need quicker and more decisive decision making. Generally good work life balance but lots going on and not enough time to delivery superior results

Advice to Management

Greater resources

Capital Group2020-01-23
  3. "Great place Great people"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist, Senior in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Culture is wonderful. The company goes out of their way for inclusion and diversity. Wonderful benefits that start day 1.

Cons

Lots of required overtime during tax season, but paychecks are great.

Capital Group2020-01-23
  4. "Great Asset Managaer to Work For"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Collaborative, Fun, Challenging, Great People, Hard Working, Utmost Integrity

Cons

I have nothing negative to report

Capital Group2020-01-09
  5. "Rigid Promotions Structure"

Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are top notch and MRP

Cons

Easy to get-by. If you're early career and not promoted within the first 2-3 years, you are not likely to get promoted ever.

Capital Group2020-01-09

"Not What I Signed Up For"

Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive Pay, Competitive benefits including bonuses and annual reviews. Friendly environment, management is willing to listen to concerns. Read more below on cons to this.

Cons

1. Almost 3 years ago I was hired by Capital Group, my biggest concern making a change in my career was my ability to develop & grow. During the interview process I was told about how there are multiple "paths" and the company dedicates time to associates to develop. Really they mean giving you 30 minutes a month to complete some training or complete a review of someone/recent training experience. Those so called paths they mentioned are nonexistent. I've sat in the same position for 3 years, never had the chance to be trained into a specific department because there is an ongoing staffing issue within departments. The lack of opportunities does not attract people to stay here long term. 2. Management tries to be too positive. I've expressed my concerns to multiple managers and not one has seemed to take it seriously. Over a year ago, management asked for feedback, it turned ugly real quick & ever since it's been hush hush. Continuous issues are overlooked and not addressed. Management also makes decisions based off what they think, not what those doing the job with the experience think. i.e shift bid, removing earlier shifts and adding later shifts. Considering more than half the associates are parents, management should be considering people with families or additional responsibilities outside of work. 3. Overtime is never ending. Associates receive last minute emails begging for people to work additional time when their shifts end in the next hour or two. Management likes to preach work/life balance but for the last 2 years, overtime has been required. When I was hired I was informed of "blackout dates" for 2 weeks every January and 3 weeks in April due to tax season. At this time, there is constant overtime & taking your time off is "not contributing to improving the current environment."

Advice to Management

Take people's feedback seriously, when long term & even short term associates are leaving, please review their exit interviews. Allowing an associate to sit in the same position for 3 years without any opportunities to move or be trained additionally is not acceptable and not a way to keep associates dedicate to the company.

Capital Group2019-12-16
  7. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Applications Development Manager

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great employer, good benefits & true to its values

Cons

Slow career growth, decision making is time consuming.

Capital Group2019-12-20
  8. "Award: Worst employer of the year"

Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

N/A - not applicable, trying to fill up the 5 work minimum.

Cons

As I’m learning more about this company, the uglier it gets. I get to observe all of the non-sense that happens in this place. For example: management has not a clue on what to do. Majority of them don’t know how to manage people and are afraid of speaking up to their manager. This place is ran out of fear. HR asks for either bad or negative comments/things for each associate and logs all of this down in their profile. Yes! This impacts your profile throughout your career since they use this as ammunition to belittle you. Hence when I mentioned this place is ran out of fear. Have you ever googled terrible or worst managers? You’ll see that bad managers will focus on every bad aspect of you instead of the good things. It’s a really sick place to be... The rumors are true from the outside. I feel really ashamed when this company likes to take credit for being best employer of the year blah blah blah. This is purely marketing for the company and its a giant lie that everyone is brainwashed to believe in. I’ve worked at many large companies before and they are far more superior than capital group. They don’t even take credit for being the best employer either. How ironic? I’ve single handled witnessed my senior manager lie to me while talking to other senior managers. It’s not only embarrassing but I lost full complete faith of everyone at cg, don’t trust anyone even your managers. HR feels like they have some kind of elite power by controlling people’s promotions/raises, please save your self the time and effort. Your only ruining the company without even knowing. I would call this golden handcuffs. I’m reading some of these comments, and you’ll notice that the people writing good reviews are either managers and above that have no idea what’s going on in the trenches. Seems to be a discrete line between normal associates and management kinda like us vs them. That in itself is a bias review. Also, good reviews by normal associates are probably either in stretched assignments or under performing associates that know they can’t go anywhere else. Capital used to hire only smart people but as they created these abnormal jobs it tends to bring in lower quality associates that know they cannot go anywhere else because of the money or unique job. Doesn’t seem that great to me. This place does change you for the worst. I’ve interacted with some great associate that have a ton of passion but that all changed after working at capital for so many years. With that being said, I would never consider this place to be the best place to work for. I would say average at best and I’m being nice. I don’t see this place changing unless they let the old go and embrace the new. Too many people guard the old ways which creates inefficiencies and is costly. This company has a ton of money to blow on projects but they won’t invest in their people.

Advice to Management

sorry, I don’t trust you

Capital Group2020-01-24
  9. "True to its values and sense of purpose"

Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Before coming here over a decade ago, I'd worked for three other large corporations that at various times had made a big deal about publishing corporate values and mission statements. These tended to be rather top-down in approach and leadership transitions often led to confusion over values and purpose as new leaders wanted to make their mark. Not here. At Capital, the values and mission pervade all levels of the organization and no one person acts as the standard-bearer. This ends up leading to very smooth leadership transitions. The primary beneficiaries of this are our clients, who've done remarkably well by us over nearly 90 years. But it's also created a very consistent work experience that seems palpable from office to office around the world. I'm drawn to this place every day by the quality of people I work with, the results of the work we do, and the incredibly generous nature of this company. It's not perfect and I don't think that's a fair expectation of any organization. But it is great and works very hard to stay that way.

Cons

We're prone to biting off more than we can chew sometimes, all with the intention of being better and expanding our reach to more clients. The cumulative impact of all the projects and initiatives we take on can wear people down.

Advice to Management

Learn how to say "no" or "let's defer that to later." We have a culture of A-types, but even A-types need time in their day to reflect and regroup before moving on to the next project or change.

Capital Group2019-12-11

"Best Place To Work"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful facilities, wonderful, friendly associates,

Cons

I have never had a negative experience.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing

Capital Group2019-12-06