Cancer Research UK Employee Reviews about "cruk"

Updated 22 Jun 2020

4.0
Cancer Research UK CEO Michelle Mitchell (no image)
Michelle Mitchell
Pros
Cons
  • "Low rate compared to commercial due to being charity but still ok(in 34 reviews)

• "Don't for a second think CRUK is going to pay you a fair amount for the work you do(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "cruk"

Return to all Reviews

"Avoid if you are an ambitious person, you go all the way back to stone age if you work in CRUK"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, London, England

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- It is good to work for a cause - CRUK heavily focuses on beating cancer - Absolute briliant in brain washing - if you don't have experience, new to your field, and looking to find an entry point, CRUK is a good place to start your career - Good place to work if you won a £100m lottery and are bored in your mansion

Cons

- You have no value to the organisation whatsoever - Seniour mngmt make decisions based on what they are comfortable and good for them before considering other underpaid staff - Don't for a second think CRUK is going to pay you a fair amount for the work you do - If you are an experience professional, don't waste your time working here, you get paid as much as a non-skilled worker in private sector, if you like to work for CRUK for personal reasons, consider volunteering. - You may wake up in a morning and see your pay is cut by 20% and the deciosion came from someone with over £220k salary. - When you give advice based on your field of expertise, senior mngmt will take your advice and dump it as soon as you turn away. - There is an unbelivable sum of money being waisted because of someone's personal opinion which fail after spending a good sum. - You can come here to work and find out yourself or you take this advice and look for a job elsewhere. I assure you that CRUK is not a place for professionals and those with ambition - There are lots of way to express your concerns, however, you need to express them your manager or your line manager's manager. you get the picture, right? - If you decided to go for an interview and they offered you less money than you expected, they may assure you that there will be a salary review in few months. Here is a tip, there is no such thing as annual salary review. I know people who worked very hard and made massive contribution to an important project and they didn't even receive a thank you card. If you are lucky, considered as seniour in your field, you MAY get 1% raise in April. - One of the senior management reminds me of kim jong un, if you moves a pen from his desk, you are in a big trouble

Continue reading

"Get to work on true representation"

2.0
    Former Employee - Policy & Information Senior Officer in London, England

I worked at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learnt a lot from dedicated colleagues & amazing volunteers Brilliant research outcomes

Cons

CRUK has a severe problem with diversity, both in numbers of staff employed and understanding of what comes with it. Mostly middle/upper class workforce brings a very monomaniacal way of working and a lack of value placed on diversity of thought. BAME staff are given less access to career progression and don't end up staying long. No flexible work arrangement given in my team without long HR & occupational health despite being a cancer survivor myself and despite ALL senior/head in my team WFH at least a day per week

Continue reading

"Great atmosphere to work in"

Current Employee - Shop Manager in London, England

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great teams of volunteers Nice work not at all boring ever Every day is different You easily fall in love with the job itself

Cons

Cruk give shops no support They just want want want Every time expecting targets to be reached and endless fund raising They don't quite understand what it's like working in the shops Very poor pay with very high expectations

Continue reading

"Inspiring organisation but bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Everyone is incredibly motivated by the cause * Great office & location * Flexible working * Brilliant to be close to and hear about such inspiring research conducted through CRUK funded projects

Cons

* Poor management, was very cliquey which could create quite a toxic work environment * Not enough focus on effectiveness of teams and their impact * Lack of transparency and creation of unnecessary hierarchy by holding back information, would often have managers whispering about things during team meetings - very condescending!

Continue reading

"Not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Shop Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The cause made me stay there for so long,

Cons

CRUK are too keen to spend money on POS and equipment rather than paying staff fairly. I was unsupported in my role and when I asked for help it wasn't given to me.

Continue reading

"Technology - disappointing experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Technology in London, England

I worked at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is good - very flexible.

Cons

Working at CRUK was confusing and mentally tiring for so many reasons: - So much evidence of politics within the Tech department and often petty comments/actions made by some staff rather than just getting on with your job. - Favouritism is a problem where by favourites were promoted. Internal roles (i.e. for promotions) were not always advertised. Cliques formed as if in a high school. - There was always so much mention of equality and diversity yet mainly white women were in senior positions. Senior management was un-relatable and some difficult to approach. - Everything was slow paced. It took months to get through various stages of a project and in some cases processes seemed made up on the spot. - Job role was not standard or as advertised - it was lots of little roles mushed into one which was mentally draining. - Some managers were approachable with an open door policy but comments and concerns were not taken seriously until they were repeated so many times. Overall,I thought working for a charity would be meaningful but left feeling drained and frustrated that I couldn't just get on with my job. I wanted to try and push through but I couldn't foresee any changes and decided to pursue other opportunities.

Continue reading
  7. "Inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Direct Marketing Executive in London, England

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with intelligent, motivated and inspirational individuals towards a shared amazing aim. Lots of training and internal development opportunities. I managed to progress quickly across teams as CRUK prefers to hire internally. So once you’re, you’re in!

Cons

A bit of a fluffy culture. Sometimes I felt that that delayed efficiencies.

8. "Summer Internship"

Former Intern - Volunteer Fundraising in Islington, England

I worked at Cancer Research UK for less than a year

Pros

This was a well-supported internship in an amazingly collaborative and welcoming working environment. Personal and professional development were well catered for and opportunities to get involved across different departments were easy to access. The work was challenging and varied with chances to work in different locations and with supporters.

Cons

Wish I could have known to apply to do more volunteering at many of the diverse events CRUK puts on.

9. "Tech for good"

I have been working at Cancer Research UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s amazing to be part of something where you really feel you are making a difference to the world. Everyone’s lives are touched by cancer, and CRUK is at the forefront, globally, of the work to beat it. Of course those that work with the research scientists feel closest to it, but even here in the Technology department, I feel I’m part of that mission. I also love how smart and passionate so many of my colleagues are. It’s a real privilege to work with lots of clever people, and there is a strong learning ethic here, with lots of opportunities to develop new skills. The work/life balance is amazingly good compared with my previous jobs, but my colleagues seem to take it for granted!

Cons

The turnover is really high - in common with the rest of the charity sector - so there’s a continuous cycle of recruitment, on-boarding and knowledge transfer which can get a bit tiring. And sometimes the people who leave for the commercial sector realise after they’ve gone that the extra pay isn’t worth the extra hours and pressure.

10. "Very enjoyable working experience!"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at Cancer Research UK part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- I know it differs from shop to shop, but the other volunteers and assistants/managers were lovely to work with. Everyone was very supportive of each other. My coworkers made me enjoy my time here. - The tasks were always varied, and each day was different so it was difficult to get bored. - I was a volunteer so this may not be the case for paid employees, but the hours were very flexible and managers were really reasonable in terms of how many hours they offered. - Opportunities to talk to the public including doing collections around the town where I lived and discuss the company and the work CRUK does. - You can sort through stock and therefore get a chance to see items you might like to buy before they go onto the shop floor ;)

Cons

- Not much chance for career progression - Apparently, the pay is pretty poor but this wasn't relevant to me - Head office could be strict about certain things unnecessarily - Some customers could be very difficult but that comes with working in customer service!

Found 30 reviews