Canadian Blood Services "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 23 Nov 2018

3.5
Canadian Blood Services CEO Graham D. Sher
Graham D. Sher
Pros
Cons
  • "Every problem is front end staffs fault even though we have no control over number of donors(in 11 reviews)

• "Never advancement, low pay, no beneifits because nobody will ever be full time(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment. Very transparent leadership.

Cons

There is no Cons working at Canadian Blood Services. We are always evaluating. Always seeing how we make make things better.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and open with employees

Canadian Blood Services2018-11-24

"Great not-for-profit organiation"

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Great co-workers Great benefits Great work environment Great work-life balance

Cons

- Very low salary increase - Limited career advancement - Unrealistic workload

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line staff

Canadian Blood Services2018-01-01
  3. "Administrative Clerk"

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Very supportive work environment. Got the job as I used to volunteer there. Decent wage.

Cons

I only worked there for two contract positions. Wish it was longer!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the great work! If you have any openings let me know!

Canadian Blood Services2017-11-22

"Clerk"

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment, friendly colleagues, work-life-balance

Cons

Top down leadership, less opportunities for professional development, departmentalized

Canadian Blood Services2016-10-12

"Best Job A Phlebotomist Can Have"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Best coworkers you will ever have. Capable, reliable, team players with outstanding personalities and dedication to the cause. -Fun work environment. "Clean" straight forward job. "Easy" job, although fast paced. Donors are healthy, and wanting to have their blood drawn, unique to this work environment. -No pressure environment, show up, go home, you never take the job with you after you clock out. -Great team, phlebotomists, RNs, donor services all work together to execute each clinic on target. -Decent wages, good benefits. -Training overall very comprehensive initially, although admittedly not always uniform. -Depending on your background, some opportunity to move up or into a completely different role. -Lots of very bright people within and access to transfusion/transplant research/data as well as training and educational resources.

Cons

-Shift work, which is normal in healthcare. The hours can be great (perfect) for a student or PT worker if you want just a few half shifts a week. However if you are trying to support a family and pay for daycare, aiming for FT hours will require working difficult shifts like 12 hr+ mobile clinics and split shifts or 6 days in a row etc. -Some job security but will never be a M-F guaranteed FT job. This is a problem. I do think hours could be more standardized similar to what the for profit plasma clinics have done, while still meeting targets, appealing to donors, and staying fiscally responsible. Many donors get paid time off to donate during the day (from our corporate PFL partners) so making clinic hours from 10am-6pm instead of split shifts running into the evening for example might be feasible. -Clinic Managers have replaced Charge Nurses in the clinic. As they are out of scope, they cannot help with needles, faints, or even give bandaids. Or give advice on any other problem in the clinic such as pack allocation and reconciliation discrepancies. -Staff are often last to know any changes. I usually check the CBC app before I come to work. All relevant info is usually released by media relations to the public before us. -This is a great job if you use it to your advantage. They will use you so make it work in your favour. Learn lots, enjoy the experience. -If you're clinic staff you may or may not be respected. Depends on the day/budget/targets/factor X etc. -Dealing with people all day, can be tiring if you're friendly but not a "people person" by nature. -Thinking outside the box may or may not be welcomed. Good advice may not be accepted advice.

Advice to Management

I like Graham Sher. If you can see his vision we are moving in the right direction. We are a Biologics Manufacturer. However open dialogue to prepare frontline staff has improved but is still lacking. I know it isn't feasible but it would be nice to have a "live" or daily blogcast of the CEO each day to let us know of any new operational changes (I.e. Policies) and what is expected of us that day. -Staff are micromanaged and minimized so they either feel belittled and stay at the job, or they feel insulted and leave. Neither is good. Stop it. -Let Phlebotomists/MLAs use their training and education. We do go to school to do what we do. I once got reprimanded for telling a donor what "hemoglobin" was when they asked. While CBS does not offer medical advice nor is that our role, as it is the role of a physician (MD), to have a phlebotomist not allowed to answer very basic blood donation questions is demeaning, frustrating, and takes away donor confidence if the person putting a needle in them can only say "I don't know". If I'm doing the job, let me do my job. -Try to standardize clinic hours. -Remind staff not everyone can be a blood donor. If you've got poor veins and every 3rd unit is a discard/arm change etc STOP COMING. I really dislike wasting time having to explain to a donor that I'm not going to "try" his vein when it took 3 phlebs last time to adjust his needle just so his unit could end up in the biohazard bin. CBS needs to help educate donors. If you don't have good veins, don't come. We use a 16 gauge and a standard pack. We need healthy, efficient donors with good veins and no vasovagal reactions. Some of my coworkers will keep wasting time with this small subgroup of donors when they really should be telling these donors to recruit others or volunteer for us instead. -Be honest with donors. We need appointments booked so we can appropriately use tax payers money. We need to plan clinics, meet hospital targets, and reduce waste. Hospitals order blood, we need to know what we'll have to deliver to them. What blood types and how many units of each. We want to be fiscally responsible and plan to deliver what patients need when they need it. Let's be straight up with donors and educate the public. -I'm proud of what I do and every single employee of CBS should be as well.

Canadian Blood Services2016-08-05

"Okay but some issues"

Senior Program Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services for more than 10 years

Pros

Great advancement opportunities for those that work for them. Some wonderful people. Good benefits. Work environment depends a lot on your direct supervisor. Can be amazing but when you're stuck with a poor supervisor, it can be horrible.

Cons

Lots of internal unrest and regular reorganizations and layoffs. Poor managers are rarely dealt with, despite reports to human resources by multiple staff.

Canadian Blood Services2016-07-27
  7. "Great union environment"

Client Care Representative/Supervisor/Trainer in Sudbury, ON

I worked at Canadian Blood Services for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment for a student. I learned alot about the blood program and I would definitely suggest them as an employer.

Cons

Many smokers working in that environment.

Canadian Blood Services2016-02-22
  8. "best place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Management is very supportive, flexible and knowledgeable excellent work environment friendly, helpful colleagues Opportunities to work on many different types of work

Cons

There are none so far

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a culture of innovation and keep up the good work

Canadian Blood Services2015-10-03

"Phlebotomist"

Phlebotomist in Moncton, NB

I worked at Canadian Blood Services for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved my co-worker, and the work environment in the clinic. Getting to know the donors was the best part of the job. And having them becoming part of a vital need for our community.

Cons

Not enough hours, working 4 hours per shift was completely outrageous. Also the inconsistency of the schedule and lack of flexibility.

Advice to Management

To be more flexible, and stop money pinching. People do not want to work 4 hours per shift and then need to be committed to you not having the chance to get a second job because of the inconsistency of the schedule. Work better at the schedule to make it more "regular".

Canadian Blood Services2015-02-18
  10. "Good employer."

Current Employee - Director in Ottawa, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Excellent work environment. Employees dedicated. Benefits excellent

Cons

Difficulty with prioritization of change initiatives

Advice to Management

Needs clearer consensus between executives

Canadian Blood Services2014-09-15