Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 16 Apr 2020

3.6
Canadian Blood Services CEO Graham D. Sher
Graham D. Sher
Pros
Cons
  • "Every problem is front end staffs fault even though we have no control over number of donors(in 11 reviews)

• "Don't seem to listen to front line staff(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Rewarding work with committed colleagues in an environment of constant change and high expectations."

2.0
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Saskatoon, SK

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Never have to question the reason for going to work: had a direct opportunity to affect collections of blood and blood products to help patients in need.

Cons

The structure of the organization changed almost constantly: three major reorganizations in less than 5 years to address efficiency. Some changes worked, others... not so much. Made for a difficult work environment as many positions were eliminated and work culture was not ideal as a result.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

Understanding colleges; very helpful and sincere

Cons

Older work environment; building is very dated

3. "Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment. Very transparent leadership.

Cons

There is no Cons working at Canadian Blood Services. We are always evaluating. Always seeing how we make make things better.

"Great not-for-profit organiation"

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Great co-workers Great benefits Great work environment Great work-life balance

Cons

- Very low salary increase - Limited career advancement - Unrealistic workload

5. "Administrative Clerk"

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Very supportive work environment. Got the job as I used to volunteer there. Decent wage.

Cons

I only worked there for two contract positions. Wish it was longer!

Continue reading

"Really think hard about working here."

2.0
    Current Employee - Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

I feel good about the work I do. The staff here is passionate and truly wants to help save lives.

Cons

Very negative work environment. Constant cutbacks and increased workload. Targets are completely unrealistic. I think they set them so high so they don't have to pay out bonus money. Don't voice your opinion, or you will be targeted and whatever you do, don't talk to HR. They will try to pass the buck and sweep issues like harassment and bullying under the rug. Employee engagement survey came back with very negative results.... lots of meetings initially, then nothing done with the feedback. I think it's been shelved. This entire department is extremely underpaid compared to equivalent jobs at private companies.

"Clerk"

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment, friendly colleagues, work-life-balance

Cons

Top down leadership, less opportunities for professional development, departmentalized

"Best Job A Phlebotomist Can Have"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Best coworkers you will ever have. Capable, reliable, team players with outstanding personalities and dedication to the cause. -Fun work environment. "Clean" straight forward job. "Easy" job, although fast paced. Donors are healthy, and wanting to have their blood drawn, unique to this work environment. -No pressure environment, show up, go home, you never take the job with you after you clock out. -Great team, phlebotomists, RNs, donor services all work together to execute each clinic on target. -Decent wages, good benefits. -Training overall very comprehensive initially, although admittedly not always uniform. -Depending on your background, some opportunity to move up or into a completely different role. -Lots of very bright people within and access to transfusion/transplant research/data as well as training and educational resources.

Cons

-Shift work, which is normal in healthcare. The hours can be great (perfect) for a student or PT worker if you want just a few half shifts a week. However if you are trying to support a family and pay for daycare, aiming for FT hours will require working difficult shifts like 12 hr+ mobile clinics and split shifts or 6 days in a row etc. -Some job security but will never be a M-F guaranteed FT job. This is a problem. I do think hours could be more standardized similar to what the for profit plasma clinics have done, while still meeting targets, appealing to donors, and staying fiscally responsible. Many donors get paid time off to donate during the day (from our corporate PFL partners) so making clinic hours from 10am-6pm instead of split shifts running into the evening for example might be feasible. -Clinic Managers have replaced Charge Nurses in the clinic. As they are out of scope, they cannot help with needles, faints, or even give bandaids. Or give advice on any other problem in the clinic such as pack allocation and reconciliation discrepancies. -Staff are often last to know any changes. I usually check the CBC app before I come to work. All relevant info is usually released by media relations to the public before us. -This is a great job if you use it to your advantage. They will use you so make it work in your favour. Learn lots, enjoy the experience. -If you're clinic staff you may or may not be respected. Depends on the day/budget/targets/factor X etc. -Dealing with people all day, can be tiring if you're friendly but not a "people person" by nature. -Thinking outside the box may or may not be welcomed. Good advice may not be accepted advice.

"Okay but some issues"

Senior Program Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services for more than 10 years

Pros

Great advancement opportunities for those that work for them. Some wonderful people. Good benefits. Work environment depends a lot on your direct supervisor. Can be amazing but when you're stuck with a poor supervisor, it can be horrible.

Cons

Lots of internal unrest and regular reorganizations and layoffs. Poor managers are rarely dealt with, despite reports to human resources by multiple staff.

10. "Great union environment"

Client Care Representative/Supervisor/Trainer in Sudbury, ON

I worked at Canadian Blood Services for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment for a student. I learned alot about the blood program and I would definitely suggest them as an employer.

Cons

Many smokers working in that environment.

Found 14 reviews