Canadian Blood Services "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated 4 Dec 2019

3.5
Canadian Blood Services CEO Graham D. Sher
Graham D. Sher
Pros
Cons
  • "Every problem is front end staffs fault even though we have no control over number of donors(in 11 reviews)

• "Never advancement, low pay, no beneifits because nobody will ever be full time(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Bureaucratic Work Environment"

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Great cause, blood donors tend to be lovely people. - Pay is fair, not great - but good benefits for full-time permanent staff

Cons

- Staff morale continually low and disgruntled, often an unpleasant working environment - Confusion between head office direction and regional autonomy; makes it unclear who has decision-making power and so projects tend to stall indefinitely - Endless restructuring threatens job stability for most roles/departments - Many long-term managers/directors that are just there to collect their paycheque and pension contributions

Canadian Blood Services2019-12-04

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Donor Care Associate in Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wages are ok. Benefits are good

Cons

Management doesnt listen to employees. Employees are treated differently depending on which supervisor they have. More and more duties assigned but no increase in pay. Split shifts, evenings and out of town clinics. You are expected to go on out of town clinics even when travel is not recommended. Bus is not made for hiway travel and is cold and bumpy. Management has no empathy for family issues. Every problem is front end staffs fault even though we have no control over number of donors. I could go on and on. It is a very toxic workplace and morale is low

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Treat people fairly. Quit hiring supervisors that are nurses and hire people that are trained to be managers

Canadian Blood Services2019-11-18
  3. "Supply Chain Logistics"

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Good benefits and work-life balance

Cons

Not easy to climb the corporate ladder

Advice to Management

Promote from within.

Canadian Blood Services2019-01-24

"Okay"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

Good benefits, pension, fufilling work

Cons

Bureaucracy, little room for growth

Advice to Management

Less focus on profits and more on improving work environment

Canadian Blood Services2018-09-20

"Donor Care Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great rapport with colleagues and donors. Pay and benefits are good. Always extra shifts available over assigned hours as always people calling in sick. When travelling for training purposes, mileage, hotels etc are covered. Plenty of training offered.

Cons

Management do not care about staff morale or well being. Standing for 8 hour shifts and not allowed a stool to sit down. Expected to do set up in certain locations which involves backbreaking heavy labour. Threatened with termination if do not meet stats. For example during one clinic you may do 5 phlebotomies. One person may faint, one may clot part way through and one may say they feel unwell. All will result in the donation ending which affect your stats. At the end of each month you will be brought to management and asked to explain yourself which is unrealistic and distressing. Working hours are not guaranteed. Could be scheduled anywhere from 5-20 hours per week. If less than 20 hours per week you will not be entitled to benefits. High turn over of staff - Management would rather employ 20 staff members to work 6 hrs per week than employ 8 staff members at 20 hours. Sneaky way to avoid paying benefits to staff. Always check pay stubs as you will frequently be paid an incorrect amount.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees more humanely. Employ less staff and give them more hours. These people need to qualify for mortgages, car loans etc and can't when they are contracted non guaranteed hours. Allow staff a stool to sit down when necessary and employ manual labourers to "set up" equipment. Be honest with staff members and be more realistic when looking at stats. There are many reasons for incomplete blood donation units that are not the fault of the phlebotomists.

Canadian Blood Services2017-08-25

"Sucks the life out of you."

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Meaningful work, good benefits, learning opportunities

Cons

No advancement, always promoting from external instead of recognizing internal talent, work hours and expectations are unrealistic, no respect.

Advice to Management

Take care of your talent or they will continue to leave...leadership shouldn't just be lip service...you could do so much better.

Canadian Blood Services2017-04-02

"IT"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, competitive salary, nice people

Cons

No opportunities for advancement, management is old school

Canadian Blood Services2016-11-14

"Best Job A Phlebotomist Can Have"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Best coworkers you will ever have. Capable, reliable, team players with outstanding personalities and dedication to the cause. -Fun work environment. "Clean" straight forward job. "Easy" job, although fast paced. Donors are healthy, and wanting to have their blood drawn, unique to this work environment. -No pressure environment, show up, go home, you never take the job with you after you clock out. -Great team, phlebotomists, RNs, donor services all work together to execute each clinic on target. -Decent wages, good benefits. -Training overall very comprehensive initially, although admittedly not always uniform. -Depending on your background, some opportunity to move up or into a completely different role. -Lots of very bright people within and access to transfusion/transplant research/data as well as training and educational resources.

Cons

-Shift work, which is normal in healthcare. The hours can be great (perfect) for a student or PT worker if you want just a few half shifts a week. However if you are trying to support a family and pay for daycare, aiming for FT hours will require working difficult shifts like 12 hr+ mobile clinics and split shifts or 6 days in a row etc. -Some job security but will never be a M-F guaranteed FT job. This is a problem. I do think hours could be more standardized similar to what the for profit plasma clinics have done, while still meeting targets, appealing to donors, and staying fiscally responsible. Many donors get paid time off to donate during the day (from our corporate PFL partners) so making clinic hours from 10am-6pm instead of split shifts running into the evening for example might be feasible. -Clinic Managers have replaced Charge Nurses in the clinic. As they are out of scope, they cannot help with needles, faints, or even give bandaids. Or give advice on any other problem in the clinic such as pack allocation and reconciliation discrepancies. -Staff are often last to know any changes. I usually check the CBC app before I come to work. All relevant info is usually released by media relations to the public before us. -This is a great job if you use it to your advantage. They will use you so make it work in your favour. Learn lots, enjoy the experience. -If you're clinic staff you may or may not be respected. Depends on the day/budget/targets/factor X etc. -Dealing with people all day, can be tiring if you're friendly but not a "people person" by nature. -Thinking outside the box may or may not be welcomed. Good advice may not be accepted advice.

Advice to Management

I like Graham Sher. If you can see his vision we are moving in the right direction. We are a Biologics Manufacturer. However open dialogue to prepare frontline staff has improved but is still lacking. I know it isn't feasible but it would be nice to have a "live" or daily blogcast of the CEO each day to let us know of any new operational changes (I.e. Policies) and what is expected of us that day. -Staff are micromanaged and minimized so they either feel belittled and stay at the job, or they feel insulted and leave. Neither is good. Stop it. -Let Phlebotomists/MLAs use their training and education. We do go to school to do what we do. I once got reprimanded for telling a donor what "hemoglobin" was when they asked. While CBS does not offer medical advice nor is that our role, as it is the role of a physician (MD), to have a phlebotomist not allowed to answer very basic blood donation questions is demeaning, frustrating, and takes away donor confidence if the person putting a needle in them can only say "I don't know". If I'm doing the job, let me do my job. -Try to standardize clinic hours. -Remind staff not everyone can be a blood donor. If you've got poor veins and every 3rd unit is a discard/arm change etc STOP COMING. I really dislike wasting time having to explain to a donor that I'm not going to "try" his vein when it took 3 phlebs last time to adjust his needle just so his unit could end up in the biohazard bin. CBS needs to help educate donors. If you don't have good veins, don't come. We use a 16 gauge and a standard pack. We need healthy, efficient donors with good veins and no vasovagal reactions. Some of my coworkers will keep wasting time with this small subgroup of donors when they really should be telling these donors to recruit others or volunteer for us instead. -Be honest with donors. We need appointments booked so we can appropriately use tax payers money. We need to plan clinics, meet hospital targets, and reduce waste. Hospitals order blood, we need to know what we'll have to deliver to them. What blood types and how many units of each. We want to be fiscally responsible and plan to deliver what patients need when they need it. Let's be straight up with donors and educate the public. -I'm proud of what I do and every single employee of CBS should be as well.

Canadian Blood Services2016-08-05

"Okay but some issues"

Senior Program Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services for more than 10 years

Pros

Great advancement opportunities for those that work for them. Some wonderful people. Good benefits. Work environment depends a lot on your direct supervisor. Can be amazing but when you're stuck with a poor supervisor, it can be horrible.

Cons

Lots of internal unrest and regular reorganizations and layoffs. Poor managers are rarely dealt with, despite reports to human resources by multiple staff.

Canadian Blood Services2016-07-27

"Interesting experience..."

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Canadian Blood Services

Pros

Good benefits and competitive salary.

Cons

'Old school' thinking. Org doesn't adequately consult with the front lines. Limited room to grow - position doesn't evolve with you.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff and use them as the valuable resources that they are. Have an interest in further developing your staff... nurture talent when you see it.

Canadian Blood Services2016-05-03