Canadian Blood Services Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Canadian Blood Services CEO Graham D. Sher
Graham D. Sher

"Great not-for-profit organiation"

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Great co-workers Great benefits Great work environment Great work-life balance

Cons

- Very low salary increase - Limited career advancement - Unrealistic workload

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line staff

Canadian Blood Services2018-01-01

"Could be so much better"

Former Employee - Logistics

I worked at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent benefits package, including a pension plan.

Cons

Constantly changing shifts makes it difficult on family, particularly planning events, birthday parties, etc. The low wages and shift premium in no way compensate for missing out on family time. Everything is geared toward the donor, ignoring the dedicated staff that have to attend to and work at mobile clinics.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing your staff, be attentive at scheduled work meetings with staff. It may surprise you to learn that they may have valid and constructive ideas.

Canadian Blood Services2018-01-17
  3. "Administrative Clerk"

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

Very supportive work environment. Got the job as I used to volunteer there. Decent wage.

Cons

I only worked there for two contract positions. Wish it was longer!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the great work! If you have any openings let me know!

Canadian Blood Services2017-11-22
  4. "Phlebotomist"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like the Canadian environment to work

Cons

I had a working experience over

Advice to Management

I can be suitable for the position

Canadian Blood Services2017-11-07

"Used to be a very nice and secure place to work"

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Altruistic feeling - you know you're contributing directly to helping people no matter what division you work in.

Cons

Since the corporate re-structure, it's become a "free for all" in that the internal culture has changed - everyone just wants to have a job - doesn't matter what they do to keep it or who they step on in the process.

Canadian Blood Services2017-10-30

"Low wages, no role growth and poor management"

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Pension & Benefits Package -Very reasonable vacation allotment with flex days -Nice staff

Cons

-Very low wages unless you are a nurse -Annual salary increase less than 1% and even lower bonuses -No clear path for advancement -Not willing to train employees for career growth -No budget for anything outside of need for the blood supply -Poor management -Prefer to hire external candidates into role -Outdated systems -Lots of layoffs in a variety of departments

Advice to Management

Allocate budget to departments more appropriately and be more willing to increase the salaries of good performing employees. Pay attention to the staff who are not directly working on the blood supply chain. ie. professional staff

Canadian Blood Services2017-09-14

"Enlightened"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love my co workers. LIKE A FAMILY always there when you need them even outside work made alot of great friends.

Cons

Crazy hours not much family time. Always shorthanded. They don't replace sick calls very often.

Advice to Management

Believe in your Front Line staff and take what they say to heart. They make your clinics work everyday in any situation. Don't Micromanage so much we are adults.

Canadian Blood Services2017-09-10

"Micromanaged to death, management cares little about the worker"

I worked at Canadian Blood Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

pros......helping the public and people in need

Cons

Asked to do unethical things like falsify records to pass Health Canada Audits, micromanaged to death you feel like a child. Management coercing you into doing unsafe work, unsafe conditions. Management not caring about the working but more about money, budgets and bottom line, the almighty dollar. Cut staff to save a few dollars while always expecting staff to do more for less. Not very good management. Constant... budget cut backs.

Advice to Management

Listen to workers and respect their needs which is not happening and have a growing disgruntled work force that hates their jobs and view it as just that, a pay cheque. Mr. Sher should have a look inside his organization and really get an idea of how bad the situation is.

Canadian Blood Services2017-09-30

"Donor Care Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Canadian Blood Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great rapport with colleagues and donors. Pay and benefits are good. Always extra shifts available over assigned hours as always people calling in sick. When travelling for training purposes, mileage, hotels etc are covered. Plenty of training offered.

Cons

Management do not care about staff morale or well being. Standing for 8 hour shifts and not allowed a stool to sit down. Expected to do set up in certain locations which involves backbreaking heavy labour. Threatened with termination if do not meet stats. For example during one clinic you may do 5 phlebotomies. One person may faint, one may clot part way through and one may say they feel unwell. All will... result in the donation ending which affect your stats. At the end of each month you will be brought to management and asked to explain yourself which is unrealistic and distressing. Working hours are not guaranteed. Could be scheduled anywhere from 5-20 hours per week. If less than 20 hours per week you will not be entitled to benefits. High turn over of staff - Management would rather employ 20 staff members to work 6 hrs per week than employ 8 staff members at 20 hours. Sneaky way to avoid paying benefits to staff. Always check pay stubs as you will frequently be paid an incorrect amount.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees more humanely. Employ less staff and give them more hours. These people need to qualify for mortgages, car loans etc and can't when they are contracted non guaranteed hours. Allow staff a stool to sit down when necessary and employ manual labourers to "set up" equipment. Be honest with staff members and be more realistic when looking at stats. There are many reasons for incomplete blood... donation units that are not the fault of the phlebotomists.

Canadian Blood Services2017-08-25
  10. "I love it here!"

I have been working at Canadian Blood Services full-time

Pros

The first place I've worked where everyone is good at their jobs. I know I'm getting the right answer (have no reason to doubt) when I ask someone else a question. Managers are great. Internal promotions are preferred versus external candidates. Have contributed greatly to career development.

Cons

Old school web development (not agile)

Canadian Blood Services2017-08-17